Post Thanks / Like

Dealership can't clear p2181 code...

Now they tell me I need a new PCM...1100.00 installed.

I noticed temp wasn't going up...and heater wasn't working much the last few days. Sometimes the temp would read 208...but like I said, just started. I replaced thermostat with MOPAR 2-3 month's ago...that might be the issue...but but wouldn't the dealership be able to clear the code...?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Scat Pack Forums mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    sweet jeebus, Does a new ecu on a magnum require reprogramming?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Check out my full build at worldsfastesthemi.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by agoristmike View Post
    sweet jeebus, Does a new ecu on a magnum require reprogramming?
    From what I understand you can't get a new 2006 Dodge Magnum SRT8 PCM... it would have to be refurbished... if I remember correctly a refurbished one runs 450. Programmed and shipped...but I'm not sold on the dealerships recommendation... other than the code the symptoms exhibit a poor thermostat, air in the system, or low coolant...

I'm hoping someone has some experience in regards to clearing the code.. I know there's a few on here that exhibited the same symptoms and were able to rectify relatively inexpensive... however the question remains did the dealership try to clear the code first? Were they able to reset it? If not, did they just proceed on fixing the symptoms with a thermostat? Were they able to clear the codes then?

Sent from my SM-T377V using Scat Pack Forums mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's an old thread on this.
    P2181 Code... Do I need a new Thermostat?
    2006 Charger RT, Stroked to 392, Novi 1500 @ 5.5 psi, Getrag 3.06, 11.8 @ 117 mph, Daily Driven

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, I think I have read them all...I did have the lightening bolt as Well...thanks you the link though...Im putting my money on t sat...or air in the system...just don't know why it would act up now...I hardly drive the thing...and not hard...

My biggest concern is the dealership could not clear code...soooo....hmmmmm.

Sent from my SM-T377V using Scat Pack Forums mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    P2181 - OBD II Trouble Code

I think I would make sure there is no air in the system. Did you bleed the air at the water pump vent hole? If you use one of these extended up as high as possible it's much easier to get all the air out.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/SPILL-FRE...BoCH2UQAvD_BwE
    Thanks FORKLIFT352 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Not yet. I'm getting the MAG back from the dealer this afternoon. I had other concerns with it plus I needed an oil change...unicorn blood is spendy...lol.
    I will be installing a MOPAR oil pressure sensor because my EVIC is saying 99 psi all the time...my thoughts believe this is just a sensor. I will be burping the coolant and perhaps a new thermostat or coolant temperature sensor after...my guess is critters chewed some wires...but the dealership is getting me for 340.00 for oil change and some diagnosis time....their recommendation is to replace the PCM at 1100.00 and a new oil pressure sensor at 200.00
    So I stopped them and will be doing my own Diagnostics and repairs...they may have lost a customer if my suspicions prove true...but....still...they can't clear the code p2181....hmmmmm

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the MAG back and it has a fresh oil change...I told them to stop working on it because they were going to charge me like...300.00 to replace oil pressure sensor...and 1100.00 for a "new" PCM.
    After getting it home from its multipoint inspection and oil change.... I noticed coolant level in the reservoir has been very low....I added coolant ...and have a temp reading that seems in line with what it should be.

EVIC oil pressure is still reading 99 psi. I have the part and hope to install soon.
    I was unable to get my ELM to pair with my phone...ugh so I can't clear codes that way...
    Curious Thing though...the MAG is swilling the gas...almost a quarter tank to go 10 miles..
    I'm thinking it's the code doing it...but if I am unable to clear the code p2181 due to the oil pressure sensor reading funny Then I'll have to get that done. Asap...out of all the threads I have come across that a the solution is replacing the PCM...it never resulted in the desired effect... Buehler, Buehler...lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Topped off the coolent...code went away 2-3 key cycles later... Hooked up the predator, saw codes and cleared them. Now everything seems as it should be except the oil pressure...that maybe will the the sensor...to which I will get the part in soon.
    Good thing I took it to the dealer for their super "multi inspection" oil change....pfffft!

Post Thanks / Like
    Changing the sensor is not easy in the Hemi. The worst part is getting the connector off. Taking off drivebelt helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's what I hear...internet says 150ish for a mech to do it... stealership says about 300...so this is pretty straightforward I'll handle it myself..oh the love of the SRT8...hahahaha

Post Thanks / Like
    Check the wire to the oil pressure sensor. Make sure you have voltages there.
    Make sure it makes a good connection. Maybe follow the wire to the harness.
    Just check the wire completely...

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you...from what I understand, dealership did a test on the signal to the computer...I plan on putting a new sensor on this weekend...but I will take a look...it would be sweet if the thing just fell off...lol