Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trans Gone ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Also a good idea to hook up a scan tool before dropping the pan and see if TCM has any codes in it.

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^ absolutely, and you will need the starscan or =, as trans codes are not readable with our tuners etc.

Just a thought, I cant remember the exact parameters but there have ben issues like yours where it was a speed sensor in the plate in the tranny, which is accessible by dropping the pan.
    I don't recall the symptoms of those failures.

IRT to the " I've done a bunch of these..." did the next sentence include why they failed, specifically what component is failing.

GL, hope its something simple and less expensive than replacing the tranny.
    08 R/TCharger, Stock bottom end 5.7: LMI TRUE CAI, eagle intake, 6.1 injectors. Modern Muscle Performance Group 87mm Ported TB, big CAM, and ported eagle heads. SLP UD pulley. 6.1 timing set,and lifters, PSI springs custom pushrods, cometic head gaskets, 11:1 comp. American Racing 1 3/4" long tube headers, highflow cats with Magnaflow 3" mufflers, 4" tips., catch can 170 stat. Builder Bill rebuilt tranny, stage 2 VB, 3500 stall TC, AFI flexplate. Getrag 3.73 MTCM. BC Coilovers. Pistol grip shifter. 417 RWHP, Dyno Tuned by Brent @DTP.
    NEW04/15/16: 11.689 @ 117.62 mph .

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the kind words. My work schedule hasn't let me look into it yet.This Saturday is the day if the rain lets up. I also hope it's something small. Need to borrow a starscan I guess. Or tow it to the dealer.
    2005 Magnum R/T Bright Silver Metallic,Lower baffle mod,DS Intune,SRT Bilsteins/coils,..Dropped Valve..rebuild...6.1 springs,chain/tensioner,damper,ARP fasteners throughout,Sidewinder cam,Comp Cams pushrods,Tune by Johan,Taylor 8.2 shortys,Speedlogix catch can,BT Batwing and engine bling,BT pink thingy,Scat Pack wheels,245/45/20,RKSPORT Viper ACR hood,full Volant SS cat back,AFE Magnum Force CAI,R1 Concepts black slotted/drilled rotors F/B,ceramic pads,DC Strut tower brace,Bitchin pistol grip shifter
    1970 440 Pro Street Cuda
    1976 340 Pro Street Plymouth Arrow
    2006 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Pulled the pan tonight in the rain and this is what i found. What came out was roughly 4 quarts, filled most of a gallon jug. Some fine grit in the bottom, magnet was pretty clean with no pieces or shavings hanging around. Cut the filter open best i could and the same fine grit was obviously in there. I'm hoping that maybe its just clogged. Fluid had a faint burnt smell but not anywhere like i've seen from racing over the years. Just figured i'd find pieces or parts. There was what looked like some light moisture in the bottom in the fluid but not much. I know there should'nt be any grit it there, but does it look catastrophic?

Post Thanks / Like
    Bump

That doesn't look bad to me, for a 100+K tranny?
    Adaptive Craving Control-by Hal9000 modification strictly prohibited
    FI IV.5, Solo cat backs, 180 thermo, Catch Can, DS tuner, 383 Stroker/SRT heads,headers and mids,, Tranny cooler with fan control, built tranny/flex plate/4K conv,09 Chally rear with Quaife posi. Pedders Track II, coil overs, Hodgkiss sways, BWoody links, 20" Jacks N Five with Nitto Invo's, Custom brakes by TCE. Bling by BT.
    Just a grocery getter!
    Likes Little Red R/T liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I would also say that that pan really doesn’t look bad.
    I pulled my pan at 75k and it looked about the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Same thing happened to my 13 charger. I replaced the filer and valve body and it fixed it, but it did the same thing again a few miles later. Its getting clogged with a ton of clutch dust so its toast after 23k miles. I bought a used trans with 40k for $250.
    2013 Charger Pursuit. 6.4 HEMI swap. 20x9 forged OEM wheels. Atturo AZ850 275 tires. 4 piston Brembos and 3.09 LSD on the way.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm guessing the what looks like debris in the pan is rain drops? Otherwise - agree with others it looks normal.
    Last edited by Hemissary; 12-07-2018 at 02:04 PM.
    2005 Magnum RT---Viper Venom Red----440ci Aluminum block----Short Runner Valve Intake--410mm BAER 6S Monoblock Extreme--Eibach Multi-Pro 2

Custom--Grille Work--Hood--Headlights--Side View Mirrors--Rear Spoiler--Rear Diffuser--SRV Control System--Turbine Wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    NPD, THAT is a hell of a deal lol. So far i've found a complete 88k mile 06 R/T Charger without motor but with tran for 1k, and a 06 trans from a SRT for $500. But both are a decent haul from here. May have to do it though. As far as rain drops Hemissary you are correct. The small grit can be seen in the pan as the dark spots. I'm glad it doesn't scream "broken" to anybody yet lol. I haven't had a free moment this week with the family running around, but I got the filter and pan on last night and torqued, going to add fluid tonight and tomorrow will be the test. It has to run in drive for about a minute or two before you can notice anything happening. Finger's crossed. If it does seem to clear up, i'll throw it back up on the stands and change the filter and fluid again and keep an eye on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Little red RT, here is my story. I was driving home from work around a 30some mile drive, and 2 or 3 miles from home, Clutch chatter BIG TIME, then no go. Shut the car off, wait a few minutes, and it would drive for a few blocks. I even tried manually shifting down into first to try to help (in the old 727 trans it would apply an extra band), then it was stuck in 1st and would not shift out. Shut the car off and wait, turn on and it would go a couple blocks. I thought maybe I am low on trans fluid, so I buy a quart, throw it in, and drives fine, for a quarter mile and then same thing. Well I call my trans guy (been buying transmissions from him for 35 years, so he is trusted!), and he said even though I had codes, (put my snap on on it, lost com with TCM and an input output speed sensor issue and a 3rd gear issue) he said that most times that a trans goes no go, it is not a simple fix. (my trans has over 253K miles on it). Well I had a rough week, the day after this my oncologist told me my cancer relapsed, then my daughter in law had her car smashed by a hit and run driver (she is fine, her car I need to make driveable) and then my wifes 5 speed trans in our (at that time) only running car took a dump! Well, I get wife's car fixed, and have a friend follow me to my shop in case the car does not make it. well it drove fine! No problem. So then I pull the pan and it was WAY cleaner than even yours! (oh, before I pulled the pan I checked codes and there were none). So I call my trans guy and he tells me to put a new filter and gasket on it, fill it with fluid and see what happens. Well it has been a week, and I have been having the wife drive it around town close to home. No problem. So starting next week I will drive it to work. I am hoping it makes it to spring or summer when I can drive the hot rod or ride the motorcycle and I will pull the trans and have it rebuilt. Will be about $1500, and maybe more if I want some bad ass after market parts in it. Have heard there are some good shift solenoids available. Will ask my trans guy what he thinks. But anyway, long story short, I hope you get results like I did, back running cheap!
    God Bless
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Tom, sorry for the multiple misfortunes. Seems like that's how it happens most of the time, the old it rains it pours. Im glad to hear your daughter in law is ok, and I'll cross my fingers that your trans holds out for you. So sorry to hear about your cancer relapsing, have faith my friend. I hope I have the same results as yourself with this fluid and filter change. Thanks for sharing buddy, we are all in this together. God Bless you and your family also, Merry Christmas.

Post Thanks / Like
    So a little update. Got the car back on the ground after the filter and fluid change. I know its not the correct way, but I put back in the same amount of fluid as what came out from the pan being dropped, about 4 quarts. It obviously need to be done the correct way, but I was just trying to see if it would do anything different. Dropped the car off the stands and went through all the gears. It was sluggish at first but eventually got better. I went round the block a few times and I can tell in drive that its slipping as the RPM doesn't match the movement. But in any other gear then drive its actually solid. Reverse is totally normal, auto stick drops down as it should and is firm. I do hear a slight whining from the trans still, maybe 1/4 of how loud it was before the filter change. So im thinking, or at least hoping that maybe the fluid isn't at the correct level and possible that could make it slip in drive. I know these things are very sensitive to fluid level as people have said in the past. Unfortunately my tuner doesn't show trans temp so im going to have to grab a trailer and pull it to the dealer for that. Just seems to me that if the trans was completely toast that it wouldn't feel so strong again. But maybe the pump is shot, hence the whining sound. It actually feels decent besides the drive deal. Enough that backing up the driveway last night it blew the tires loose easily, without me wanting to do that lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Red R/T View Post
    Unfortunately my tuner doesn't show trans temp so im going to have to grab a trailer and pull it to the dealer for that.
    If you have an Android phone, a bluetooth code reader (as cheap as $10 but a nice one can be had for $22 - BAFX Products), and Torque Pro app $5 you can read transmission temperature. It takes one minor tweak to the Torque app but it's very easy and has been detailed in the Misc LX Mods forum here. Cheaper and easier than a trip to the dealer!

Don't let the word "problem" mislead you; the details are here in this thread -> Torque pro problem.

Richard
    06 Silverado ISS / 06 Silverado SS / 06 300C SRT8

Post Thanks / Like
    My smelly opinion is that you should drop the pan again and change the filter again and then make sure the oil level is correct.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast