Post Thanks / Like

Correct fasteners for rear fender liners?

I had a few cracks in my rear fender liners, so I went to the local pick-n-pull yard to remove a set. It was below freezing with wet mud & slush everywhere so I didn't take the time to properly remove the existing push-pins, I snipped them all off with a side-cutter so I could get out of there without freezing my fingers. First, is there a way to remove the clips properly without ruining them? I have a clip removal tool but it looked to me like those particular wide, flat fender liner fasteners don't pop out the usual way; by pulling out the center piece, then the whole thing. These fasteners all had a small hole in the middle, maybe something has to be inserted inside the hole while pulling the center pin out?

Second, since it's almost guaranteed some of my existing fasteners will probably break while removing my own liners, is there a decent replacement fastener set to match the OEM ones, without paying ridiculous dealer prices? I see lots of fasteners online but none of them have that little center hole...maybe it's not even important? What have some of you guys used?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Those stock fasteners are actually single use plastic rivets which are installed with a tool and can't be removed without breaking them.

Hand Riveter with 40 Industrial Strength Poly Rivets
    Likes Tikibeast liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Genestealer. As I was cracking those off of the parts cars to remove the rear fender liners, I was thinking they were probably one-use rivets. I'll just replace them with ordinary fender liner fasteners, probably the kind with the Phillips head push-pins. I'll just need to confirm the pin hole diameter of the original rivets.

Post Thanks / Like

Correct fasteners for rear fender liners?

This thread may be useful... Clips and Fasteners - Chrysler Specific...

Sent from my iPhone using Scat Pack Forums
    2006 MRT, Blaze Red Crystal Pearl (PRH), Upgraded Rear Police Brakes, Mopar Police Wheels with Continental ContiPureContact, Stock Rims with Bridgestone Blizzak WS-80, BT Catch Can, LMI AirHammer, EGR disabled, 91 tune, H8 battery (AC Delco 49AGM).
    Likes Tikibeast, Hemissary liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    It's better to use the plastic rivets. They will gold a lot better, look cleaner, and won't come off when you hit road debris and rip your fender liner Into the path of your tire. Harbor freight has these plastic rivet guns and rivets fairly cheap. Worth the investment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coelacanth View Post
    Thanks Genestealer. As I was cracking those off of the parts cars to remove the rear fender liners, I was thinking they were probably one-use rivets. I'll just replace them with ordinary fender liner fasteners, probably the kind with the Phillips head push-pins. I'll just need to confirm the pin hole diameter of the original rivets.
    Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbas View Post
    It's better to use the plastic rivets. They will gold a lot better, look cleaner, and won't come off when you hit road debris and rip your fender liner Into the path of your tire. Harbor freight has these plastic rivet guns and rivets fairly cheap. Worth the investment. Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
    Umm, not true. The fasteners listed in post #4 by chrismah secure the fender liners just fine, and are reusable to-boot. Specifically:
    The third URL listed (these are best-fit):
    Chrysler Push-Type Retainer
    The fifth URL listed:
    Chrysler_Fascia_Push_Type_Retainers_Clips_6504521

The rivet-style are a PITA; one use items and aimed at forcing owners to purchase replacements along with the equipment to install them.
    Last edited by Hemissary; 10-13-2018 at 01:26 PM.
    2005 Magnum RT---Viper Venom Red----440ci Aluminum block----Short Runner Valve Intake--410mm BAER 6S Monoblock Extreme--Eibach Multi-Pro 2

Custom--Grille Work--Hood--Headlights--Side View Mirrors--Rear Spoiler--Rear Diffuser--SRV Control System--Turbine Wheels

Thanks Coelacanth, diboblo thanked for this post
    Likes diboblo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I buy all my fasteners from clips & fasteners dot com.

Live that place.

Another good source is Auveco dot com. They have free downloadable catalogs, for offline reference.

Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemissary View Post
    Umm, not true. The fasteners listed in post #4 by chrismah secure the fender liners just fine, and are reusable to-boot. Specifically:
    The fifth URL listed:

The rivet-style are a PITA; one use items and aimed at forcing owners to purchase replacements along with the equipment to install them.
    Lux Technologies - LuX Technologies - Custom Interior Light Mods for Chrysler / Dodge / Jeep Platforms [LX/LC/WK]
    I spend my time modding your lights and developing new products, not being your FaceBook friend.

http://www.luxte.ch
    Lux Technologies

Post Thanks / Like
    The fifth URL listed:

Thank you for that, Hemissary, that's exactly what I was looking for. Those look the same as the 6 fasteners for the front fascia, are they the same?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Coelacanth View Post
    Thank you for that, Hemissary, that's exactly what I was looking for. Those look the same as the 6 fasteners for the front fascia, are they the same?
    You're welcome. No, those are too large diameter-wise.

For the front / upper fascia, these are direct placements: Chrysler_Fascia_Push_Type_Retainers_Clips_6504521

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks once again!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not saying they won't work. Which I'm sure they will. But I'm sure there was some design thought besides forcing consumers to buy tools. All I am saying is that there was probably a reason they used stronger fasteners in the fender liners. Use whatever you want. But I'll stick to the plastic rivets. Lol
    The fifth URL listed:

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    The design thought was probably to force customers to go to the dealer moreso than to buy a specialty rivet gun. You're probably right though, the rivets may secure the liner marginally better, but aren't removeable and when you need to do the job again, you'll be cutting them all off again. The rear fender liners, especially with those louvered vents at the back, are in a location where they're very likely to crack or break, as gravel & rocks get thrown up in there all the time.

One other advange of the rivets is they sit more flush and flat than the push-pin fasteners, but I'll sacrifice some esthetics to be able to replace my liners more easily when they crack again. Either solution works, but has its pros & cons.
    Last edited by Coelacanth; 10-15-2018 at 02:12 PM.