Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    The rumble you feel is the torque converter clutch failing, especially at that mileage, or a contaminated trans fluid. Do a trans fluid and filter change first.

Post Thanks / Like
    Update To Report: So, I Took The Magnum To Someone who Actually Knows More Tham Me, The One Mechanic I Could Trust, And What I Initially Thought Was A Leaking Rear Diff, Turns Out It Was Oil that Got On There When the Rear Diff Oil Was Changed, The Diff Oil Looks Clean/New Like it Just Got Changed. So, I Knew It Couldn't Be Axle/Driveline Related. He Went On A Test Drive With Me, After Duplicating The Bucking/Jerking That I Described, He Told Me That My Issue is a Misfire Possibly Caused By Bad/Failing Ignition Coil (He Was 95% Confident About That). I Also Described A Grumpy Shake At Start Up, He Also Said The Failing Ignition Coil(s) Are Responsible For it, He Even Showed Me That The Misfire Is There Even At idle (This is What I Was Describing As A Lumpy Shake At Idle). So, Naturally, My Next Question Was, Why Don't I Have A CEL/DTC Then? He said It Might Be Because It's Not Bad Enough that The Computer Is Not Detecting it (What He Said Kind Of Made Sense To Me) As I Had A Similar Issue With My Impala, Only That it Didn't Buck/Jerk At Any RPM While Driving.. It Would Misfire On Idle But, As The RPM Rose, You Won't Feel The Misfire....

But, Back to The Magnum, Like I Said Before, The Car Starts Up and Revs Fine, The Bucking/Jerking Only Manifests Itself While "Driving Only" On Low RPM Between 1500-2000 RPM. Now that Got Me Thinking, Since, there are practically 2 Spark Plugs/Cyl With Their Corresponding Coil/Spark Plug Wiring Cross-Complicatedly Installed, As I Got Dizzy Trying to Study The Coils and Wire Placement/Arrangements, I Also Learnt that The Ignition Coils Have Primary and Secondary Circuits. It It's Possible That The Computer Just Might Not Detect Some Minor Misses When One Or 2 Of The Coils Start To Fail.

"Exhales".... He Suggested That I Change All The Ignition Coils That It Should Solve My Problem. But, From My Past Experience, I'm Not Just Gonna Start Throwing Parts at The Car/Problem. So, I Naturally, Started to Look Up Info On How to Test Ignition Coils On These Particular Engine, But Of Course I Couldn't Find Anything/Info Anywhere...

So What Do Y'all Think? And Where Can I Find A Simple And Easy Way To Test The Ignition Coils On These 2 Spark Plug/Cyl Engine? I Know How to Test My V6's Coils, It's Simple, One Wire Per Coil & Spark Plug. But, This 2 Coil/Per Cylinder Situation Is Something I Haven't Encountered Before And Have My Brain Boiling.... Please Send Me Those Long List Confusing & Complicated Dealer/Manufacturer Style-Process Of Diagnosing Ignition Coil, Just Something Simple and Basic For a Average Car Guy.

Thanks.
    Last edited by MoparAddict; 06-05-2018 at 08:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Unplug one coil at a time from the harness, then plug it back in. If it's running rough, unplugging the good coils should make it worse (if it doesn't shut off) and the bad one won't make any change at all.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by punisher69 View Post
    Unplug one coil at a time from the harness, then plug it back in. If it's running rough, unplugging the good coils should make it worse (if it doesn't shut off) and the bad one won't make any change at all.

I Know This'd Probably Be A Dumb Question... But, What About the 2nd Spark Plug(s)? if I Unplug The Ignition Coil Connector, Won't The 2nd Spark Plug Keep On Firing?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll gladly be corrected if I'm wrong, but I think 1 coil fires 2 plugs.

Honestly, when I posted it, I hadn't even thought about the cross wire system lol. I was thinking about the single coil on 2 plugs, but I *THINK* yours does the same thing, the plugs are just on opposite sides of the engine

Someone will pipe up if I'm wrong, and I will gladly take the correction info.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll gladly be corrected if I'm wrong, but I think 1 coil fires 2 plugs.

Honestly, when I posted it, I hadn't even thought about the cross wire system lol. I was thinking about the single coil on 2 plugs, but I *THINK* yours does the same thing, the plugs are just on opposite sides of the engine

Someone will pipe up if I'm wrong, and I will gladly take the correction info.

Yea, I Feel You Bud. This System Defies Conventional Knowledge. Lls. Mine is A 2005 And They Hadn't Used The One Coil For 2 Plugs Then. The Ignition Coil Is On One Spark Plug, Then Another, Sort Of (Secondary) Boot (Coil) On The 2nd Spark Plug, With A Wire Running Across To The Other Side Of The Bank. Hope Someone Who Knows This Things Well Comes Up And Save Me Here.

Post Thanks / Like
    I dug a little. Even with the wires like you have, one coil fires 2 plugs, so if you have a bad coil, the test I described will still work. You'll notice the difference in the engine when you unplug a good coil, same as the newer style.

Post Thanks / Like
    I dug a little. Even with the wires like you have, one coil fires 2 plugs, so if you have a bad coil, the test I described will still work. You'll notice the difference in the engine when you unplug a good coil, same as the newer style.

Ok, I'll Do That Tomorrow....
    So, Naturally, You Know That'll Prompt Me to Ask This Question.... Where Does The 2nd Spark Plug Get It's Spark/Fire/Ignition Command From Then????.... I Tried To Trace The 2nd Spark Plug/Boot Wire and I Think It Ended On One Of The Other Side/Bank 2nd Spark Plug Boot Too (And I Think The 2nd Spark Plugs Boots Are Not Connected To Any Ignition Coil) That Doesn't Make Any Sense (To Me, At Least) Plus, That's Kind Of Confusing!!....

Post Thanks / Like
    One coil boots directly on a plug. Same coil has a plug wire that goes across to the other side. It fires both plugs at once, from one signal, so that test will work. It's much easier than testing them with an ohm meter (to me anyhow).

IIRC one coil fires one plug on ignition/ compression cycle, while it fires the other on the exhaust cycle.

Post Thanks / Like
    One coil boots directly on a plug. Same coil has a plug wire that goes across to the other side. It fires both plugs at once, from one signal, so that test will work. It's much easier than testing them with an ohm meter (to me anyhow).

IIRC one coil fires one plug on ignition/ compression cycle, while it fires the other on the exhaust cycle.

Ahhh, I See. Gotcha. I didn't ask My questions Completely, But, I'm Glad You Gave The Answer Anyway... Lls..... But, Cool, I Was Wondering How & When The 2nd Plug Fires, I Was Thinking They Fire At The Same Time. But, Wow, It's Just Burning The Already Combusted Elemets, Sounds Like A Waste To Me.. But Oh Well. Trying To Satisfy Emissions I Guess..

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Everyone, Hey Wassup Punisher, I Came to Report My Assessment Again. I Did As You Said, Uplugged The Coils One At A Time, I Found That It Was Only One Coil That Made A Pronounced Change in The RPM And That's The #6 Coil/Cyl, All The Other One's Pretty Much Didn't Do Anything. I Even Went As Far As Removing The Whole Coil Together With It's Boot From The Spark Plug Hole On All Cyl, Still The Same #6 Cyl Was The Only One With A Notable Change. Infact, The Engine Was Shaking Whenever I Removed/Unplugged That Particular Coil... No So What does This Mean? All The Other Coils Are Bad? Spark Plugs Maybe? When I Pulled The Coil and The Boot Out, I Hear The Sparks Shooting In All The Cylinders, But As I Said It Was Only The #6 Cyl Coil/Cyl Showed A Change In The Idle. So, I'm My Mind/Conclusion, I'd Say The Spark Plugs Are Bad... ?

But Then, I Read About Cylinder Deactivation On These Cars, Basically At Idle/When Power is Not Needed The Computer Cuts Power To Some Cylinders and They Run On Only 4 Or Something Like That.. But, I Also Repeated This Test While Holding The Rev At 1500, 2000 & 3000 RPMs, The Results Were Still The Same. I know I'm A Novice Ans I Might Not Understand What's Going On, Can Anyone Help Me Interprete/Understand This... ?

Thank You.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi. Welcome to Magnum ownership. Congrats on choosing the 5.7. I am the original owner of my RT and I loved it enough to completely rebuild the engine after the dreaded dropped valve seat happened this past winter. Other than that major problem, over 11 years, I had the broken plastic piece in the shifter problem, 2 Takata airbag recalls, gas tank replacement under lifetime warranty ( stalled after filling up completely), front end rattles fixed by various (Moog) part replacements, and tons of smiles per miles.

------------

The cylinders that get deactivated during MDS operation are 1 and 7 ( the outside ones) on the driver's side, and 4 and 6 ( the inside ones) on the passenger side.

So it seems that #6 coil controls one of the MDS cylinders. That doesn't make sense to me as: at idle, it should be shut off and therefore not causing an idle change. Are you sure that it's the correct coil for #6? Or a different one because of the cross wire system. Any other members thoughts?

2 things to mention because of the mileage:

1) Unless you have receipts for a recent service, I would change all 16 plugs with the OEM spec, and perhaps the wires after you determine the root cause.

2) For the transmission, I would do what was mentioned previously, fluid and filter change. I read about the solenoids on the transmission becoming lazy shifting gears because of a dirty filter. (fluid restriction).

Cheers,
    Last edited by DMC-81; 06-13-2018 at 08:28 PM.
    Dana

2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (engine rebuilt and cammed at 102K 02/18 due to dropped valve seat flaw)
    2010 Camaro SS
    (Transformers Edition)

1981 DeLorean DMC-12

Post Thanks / Like
    I googled "how to test a coil on plug ignition coil" and got these videos.

How to test a coil on plug ignition coil video - Google Search

Change the transmission fluid or at least drop the pan and change the filter. The filters plug easily and I think that is what caused my trans to fail at 108k miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2005rtmag View Post
    I googled "how to test a coil on plug ignition coil" and got these videos.

How to test a coil on plug ignition coil video - Google Search

Change the transmission fluid or at least drop the pan and change the filter. The filters plug easily and I think that is what caused my trans to fail at 108k miles.
    Thanks Man. I Have Seen All Those Videos.
    I did Test My Coils And It Was Only One That Was Out Of Spec In The Secondary Circuit.. I Have Since Changed It, But Problem Still Persist.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast