Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    57
    Post Thanks / Like

    What does this sound like?

    Hi there,

    Does anyone know what this sounds like? It happens intermittently upon acceleration. It sounds like something is vibrating. I drive in auto stick mode. I know there is some play with the inner tie rods... could this be the cause?

    Sample 1
    Sample 2

    Thanks,
    Chris.
    Last edited by chrismah; 01-13-2018 at 03:44 AM.
    2006 MRT, Blaze Red Crystal Pearl (PRH), Mopar Police Wheels with Continental ContiPureContact, Stock Rims with Bridgestone Blizzak WS-80, BT Catch Can, LMI AirHammer, EGR disabled, 91 tune.



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Hempstead, Tx
    Posts
    960
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hear something but very hard to distinguish. Idea of where its coming from? Power steering pump maybe?? Sounds like it chatters kinda.
    Battleship Bismarck
    2008 SRT8 Charger, Stockish!!
    2007 SXT Magnum
    2001 Ram 4x4
    2001 Town & Country Limited
    1999 Ram 1500 swb
    1998 2dr Neon Highline 5sp

    I know your FAST cause I was Hauln' Azz when I passed you!

    Member, Space City LX
    IG, oo_silversrt_oo


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    57
    Post Thanks / Like
    The samples are taken from in front of the ash tray. In my limited mechanical knowledge, I imagine it to be the drive shaft. I don’t feel the chattering on the floor; I just hear it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Scat Pack Forums

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    581
    Post Thanks / Like
    All stock driveline? I’m taking a shot in the dark because I’m not driving it but sounds like the 2 bolts that hold the driveshaft carrier bearing could be loose or a possible issue with the driveshaft being unbalanced.

    When did it start/you notice it?


    Sent from my iPhone using Scat Pack Forums

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    57
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Newoldchallenger View Post
    All stock driveline? I’m taking a shot in the dark because I’m not driving it but sounds like the 2 bolts that hold the driveshaft carrier bearing could be loose or a possible issue with the driveshaft being unbalanced.

    When did it start/you notice it?


    Sent from my iPhone using Scat Pack Forums
    I’ve had the Magnum for a year and I started noticing it about 2 months ago.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    581
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chrismah View Post
    I’ve had the Magnum for a year and I started noticing it about 2 months ago.
    Then I wouldn’t say that the driveshaft is unbalanced. Id start with checking the carrier bearing bolts and the bolts that secure the driveshaft to the couplers.


    2013 Challenger R/T, 270 comp cam, BES p&p heads, OCPerformance dual plane, NX gemini plate, JBA longtubes, DSS one piece aluminum driveshaft, 88mm fastman throttle body, 3.91 rear, lakewood drag shocks...too much to list

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    57
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Newoldchallenger View Post
    Then I wouldn’t say that the driveshaft is unbalanced. Id start with checking the carrier bearing bolts and the bolts that secure the driveshaft to the couplers.


    2013 Challenger R/T, 270 comp cam, BES p&p heads, OCPerformance dual plane, NX gemini plate, JBA longtubes, DSS one piece aluminum driveshaft, 88mm fastman throttle body, 3.91 rear, lakewood drag shocks...too much to list
    Thanks for the quick response and pointer. This gives me a place to start looking.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    49
    Post Thanks / Like
    If it were a drive shaft you would feel it while you drive, but take a flashlight under the car and check the guebo and bearing. But as stated, you would be able to feel a bad guibo or bearing, not just hear it.
    ​Trevor...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    iowa
    Posts
    855
    Post Thanks / Like
    It the sound go up with increase speed or rpm? Sounds like a bad rear end to me. Mine sounded similar. Pinion bearing went iut


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    57
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by us1champ View Post
    It the sound go up with increase speed or rpm? Sounds like a bad rear end to me. Mine sounded similar. Pinion bearing went iut


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the response. No the sound doesn’t go up.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    L.A., Ca.
    Posts
    3,716
    Post Thanks / Like
    First, what is the car
    How many miles
    Any modifications

    On 5.7 drive trains, and 6.1, the flex plate had issues and was hard to identify until you took it apart.
    I cant tell from the sound clip at all.

    No vibration or chattering?

    Get it up on a rack and brake torque it untill you replicate what you think is wrong.
    Adaptive Craving Control-by Hal9000 modification strictly prohibited
    FI IV.5, Solo cat backs, 180 thermo, Catch Can, DS tuner, 383 Stroker/SRT heads,headers and mids,, Tranny cooler with fan control, built tranny/flex plate/4K conv,09 Chally rear with Quaife posi. Pedders Track II, coil overs, Hodgkiss sways, BWoody links, 20" Jacks N Five with Nitto Invo's, Custom brakes by TCE. Bling by BT.
    Just a grocery getter!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Orland Park IL
    Posts
    1,753
    Post Thanks / Like
    sounds like a wookie. Do you see a very large and hairy dude in you back seat? If you do, tell him to be quiet. If you don't...look in the trunk.

    2007 BB Charger SRT8
    Airaid CAI, 180 Tstat, BT Catch Can, D1S HID headlight conversion, red led interior swap, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, MTCM, 3.73 getrag, six speed motor mounts, Lakewood 70/30 front shocks w/ V6 springs and 50/50s in back, SRT Max Plus, Paramount 55series Nag1 and torque converter, CTP solid cradle bushings
    285/35 R20 Michelin Pilot Supersports all 4 wheels
    28" hoosier slicks, MH racemaster skinnies.
    Tuned by Tim @ MPH. 403 RWHP, 402 TQ.
    [email protected], 1.762 60' 620 DA
    Likes ramblinmike, Hal'sMag, Al Evans liked this post

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    57
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal'sMag View Post
    First, what is the car
    How many miles
    Any modifications

    On 5.7 drive trains, and 6.1, the flex plate had issues and was hard to identify until you took it apart.
    I cant tell from the sound clip at all.

    No vibration or chattering?

    Get it up on a rack and brake torque it untill you replicate what you think is wrong.
    It’s a 2006 Magnum R/T, 82000 km (or 51000 mi), and stock except for a catch can.

    I don’t feel the vibration, but I do hear it.


    2006 MRT, Blaze Red Pearl, Mopar Police Wheels with Continental ContiPureContact, Stock Rims with Bridgestone Blizzak WS-80

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    L.A., Ca.
    Posts
    3,716
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hear but don't feel. It isn't tie rod ends.And it does sound like a wookie.

    If I'm hearing it right, it sounds the same regardless of engine RPM, which is good. So' it doesn't change with speed either?

    As RPM and speed increase, which appears to happen, the tone and resonance don't appear to change.

    I'd get it on a lift and look for anything loose. You can check driveshaft then, but that should change with speed.

    I picked up some bailing wire around my driveshaft on a trip to Vegas, and the hollow driveshaft made weird noises that drove me crazy, even coasting down a hill.
    That makes me think you should try under power and coasting to try to sort this out. If it's only under load, look to the drive train. If it's present when coasting, look to the wheels and axils.
    Last edited by Hal'sMag; 01-15-2018 at 03:55 AM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    57
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal'sMag View Post
    Hear but don't feel. It isn't tie rod ends.And it does sound like a wookie.

    If I'm hearing it right, it sounds the same regardless of engine RPM, which is good. So' it doesn't change with speed either?

    As RPM and speed increase, which appears to happen, the tone and resonance don't appear to change.

    I'd get it on a lift and look for anything loose. You can check driveshaft then, but that should change with speed.

    I picked up some bailing wire around my driveshaft on a trip to Vegas, and the hollow driveshaft made weird noises that drove me crazy, even coasting down a hill.
    That makes me think you should try under power and coasting to try to sort this out. If it's only under load, look to the drive train. If it's present when coasting, look to the wheels and axils.
    I can hear the sound only when accelerating. So if I understand you correctly, this means I should look to the drive train. I'm not sure if it changes with speed because it lasts only for a few seconds. By the time I try and lock in the RPM, the sound is gone. My samples are an combination of multiple instances.

    I haven't noticed the sound while coasting, but I'll keep my ears open.

    Thanks for the tips.

    Chris.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Share This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •