Modern Muscle Performance Group

Post Thanks / Like

why swap computer?

Looking for a basic understanding here, as a guy that grew up when cars had carburetors and ignition points...

As I read about swapping LX engines (such as putting a hellcat engine in a gen 1 LX) I often see posts that state that the computer and sometimes the dash needs to be replaced.
    At my level of ignorance, it would seem that you could program the computer to do whatever you want. It manages spark and fuel and timing for eight cylinders – how does the computer know or care about year/displacement, etc? Are the sensors radically different? Why the dash in addition to the computer?

Thanks in advance for a clear explanation of how this all works!

I am also curious as to which engine(s) I could replace my Gen1 5.7 with without major electronic surgery... Thanks!
    Eibach Pro-kit springs and sway bars, Koni dampeners, BWoody front sway links, K&N Intake, Predator tune by Stu, 180 T-stat, BT park lock replacement and catch can, Pedders tension strut bushings & bump-steer kit, Blastin' Bob's 4db resonator kit, Inertia Super Spartan cam,6.1 springs & pushrods,JBA shorties, 6.1 pulley, '08 Charger 18's with Yokohama YK580's 235/55/18 front 255/55/18 rear, R1 Concepts premium front & rear rotors,B&M trans dipstick, Mercedes trans pan, Energy Suspension diff and subframe bushings, 3.06 Getrag

Post Thanks / Like
    Bump! Anybody?

Post Thanks / Like
    I did a 6.4l swap into an 06 5.7l car. Had to use computer from a 2009 car for the VVT to function. It was my understanding that the 1gen computers dont have that compatibility.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2006 BB Chrysler 300C 6.4l Swap
    Tuned By Chris At Hotwireauto, SRT Exhaust/Dynamax Race Bullets, 6&4 Piston Brembos, Lmi V2, Tranzformer, BT Catch Can, SRT Wheels, Street Edge Coilovers, SPC Upper Control Arms/Rear Bushings
    Thanks 07RT thanked for this post
    Likes 07RT liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The difference lies in the generation and processing of data. The pre VVT engines didn't require as precise crank and cam measurements so they used relatively low "teeth" count crank and cam tone rings. As well, the NGC3 pcm was slower as it didn't have a huge amount of data to process. In 2007 they moved to NGC4 as the need for faster processing and higher data counts were anticipated even though nothing changed engine wise. By 2009, the canbus was faster and the tone rings had much denser tone rings on the cam and crank as more precise readings were needed to properly time the variable valve train.

Hunter, do you have a thread on your retrofit? How much of the 06 electronics and wiring remain in your car? What did you need to change to get the new engine to work?
    Likes 07RT, KYUUBI liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The 6.1L would the least troublesome swap.
    Terry

2005 Magnum RT load runner 2.6: Inertia Motorsports 419 Stroker, Predator Tune: 475rwhp & 465rwtq, Crower Cam, Kook's Headers, 3 inch "Custom" Exhaust, Tunable Induction Intake, NAG1-HTC Tranny, 3.55 Gears, 600hp DSS Half-Shafts, TrueFiber Challenger Hood, Enkei Wheels 18"x9", MT 28.00" / 12.00" x 18" radials on rear, Paneled Rear Side Windows, GoManGo Front Seats, Eibach Springs/Dampers, Wilwood Calipers, Rear Wiper Removed, Billet Technology enhancments.
    2019 Octane Red Charger GT
    1999 Plymouth Prowler (yellow) Prowler Pro #11
    2015 Charger Hellcat #0771

Post Thanks / Like
    Did 5.7L to 6.1L keeping both ecm's modules. Magnum '06. I switch ecm's once in a while...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockhound View Post
    Hunter, do you have a thread on your retrofit? How much of the 06 electronics and wiring remain in your car? What did you need to change to get the new engine to work?
    Yes, Hunter300c, could you give us some details on the swap? I would like to do the same but it would be great to know exactly what it takes. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by foxtail View Post
    Did 5.7L to 6.1L keeping both ecm's modules. Magnum '06. I switch ecm's once in a while...
    Not sure I understand- so 5.7 and 6.1 ecm's are interchangeable or engine-specific?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hotwireauto.com supplied the tuned 2009 computer and the harness to run vvt. Other then that a 2008 5.7l engine harness was used. Motor mounts bolted right up, engine obviously bolts right up to the nag1 and didnt require any tcm tuning to run. My 5.7l throttle body was used, power steering pump, starter. A 2009 5.7l crank sensor was needed, 2011-2014 5.7l ac compressor was needed. 6.1l radiator and hoses were used, 5.7 fans were bolted on. The 392 exhaust was used from manifolds all the way out the back. Active exhaust remains closed and doesnt function. If you want the active intake to function youd have to use the msd rpm switch mod as the 2009 computer wont run it even thought hotwire included that pigtail aswell. No check engine light and has run flawlessly for 1.3k miles so far. Could be other stuff that I cant think of. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter300c View Post
    Hotwireauto.com supplied the tuned 2009 computer and the harness to run vvt. Other then that a 2008 5.7l engine harness was used. Motor mounts bolted right up, engine obviously bolts right up to the nag1 and didnt require any tcm tuning to run. My 5.7l throttle body was used, power steering pump, starter. A 2009 5.7l crank sensor was needed, 2011-2014 5.7l ac compressor was needed. 6.1l radiator and hoses were used, 5.7 fans were bolted on. The 392 exhaust was used from manifolds all the way out the back. Active exhaust remains closed and doesnt function. If you want the active intake to function youd have to use the msd rpm switch mod as the 2009 computer wont run it even thought hotwire included that pigtail aswell. No check engine light and has run flawlessly for 1.3k miles so far. Could be other stuff that I cant think of. Good luck.

Hunter Thanks for the information. Were you able to continue using the 06 FCM/TIPM and instrument cluster, or were those switched over to 2008 stuff when you used the 2008 engine harness?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm guessing you've never 'programmed' a computer from the firmware up. In the case of a modern pcm, it does tie into a lot more than just controlling the timing. Between vendor controls, mismatched protocols, and sensor issues, I'd certainly do a computer swap in most cases.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Check out my full build at worldsfastesthemi.com
    Likes Lowlife44 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Lots of enlightening info here- thanks to all!
    Related: My son has a 2013 Charger R/T R&T. Since
    his 5.7 is VVT, could we swap in a 6.4 and just tune existing computer?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 07RT View Post
    Lots of enlightening info here- thanks to all!
    Related: My son has a 2013 Charger R/T R&T. Since
    his 5.7 is VVT, could we swap in a 6.4 and just tune existing computer?
    Yes, because the 5.7 and 6.4 PCM hardware is the same. You could either write the new calibration into the 5.7 pcm or have the 5.7 erased and reflashed with the 6.4 programming.