Modern Muscle Performance Group

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have seen some of those videos.

Post Thanks / Like
    I quickly wired up the transmission computer. Was a bit frustrating using the app to program it. It was refusing to correct the tps calibration. It had it backwards, my tps the voltage drops as you push the pedal.
    It had a setting to reverse how it read the voltage but would not do it. After awhile it did it. Then running it with the wheels off the ground I would lose communication after 50km so I could not see what it was commanding.
    I took it for a drive and have overdrive working, no idea if the converter is locking will have to play with it and maybe lock it up in 3rd. This torque converter does not have much stall speed.

The transgo re-program kit really fixes the shifting of these transmissions. I also used the alto power packs which adds clutches to 3 of the 4 clutch packs.

Post Thanks / Like
    A little update. I have been trying to eliminate a driveshaft vibration.
    Just had the driveshaft re-balanced. Has been raining so I have not put it back in.

Transmission works good, lockup works. Using the computer to control the transmission
    Is way better than running toggle switches. It uses speed and throttle position.

I hope to solve this vibration issue. I ran it with no wheels to narrow down what it was.
    Hopefully I can get it back together soon. I want to run it on the dyno.
    Likes DBL.DWN liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    So we should see some burn out videos soon?
    Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Scat Pack Forums

Post Thanks / Like
    I put the driveshaft in, something is still wrong. Took video of the play in the rear u joint. It's. 010 between the caps.
    I had mentioned it had play but they told me it was fine. I watched them rebalance it as it was out of balance.
    Guess I will go back tomorrow. I did not bother starting it. I'm sure it would shake. I checked my Ram, zero play.

If I ever make it to the track I'll post video, they are strict up here about stunt driving.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sure you know this but anyway, the angles the driveshaft makes with the transmission and the differential have to be the same. If not, there will be a vibration.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know the angles, currently they are 4.75- 2- 4.5. I had 4 degree negative pinion at the start which it needs as a leaf spring truck. I set it parallel to eliminate that possibility.
    Working angle should be 1-3 degrees. It was 4.75 - 3 - .9.

the driveshaft shop just put 2 new u joints in. I have video of how loose they were. They think it was bad parts. I ran a dial indicator on the shaft the first time and I could see it was not balanced right.
    The weights were at the high spot, weights are supposed to counteract the high spot. The out of round was within spec.
    Running it with no wheels it would shake at idle in overdrive, I could watch the driveshaft rattle. Without the u joint centering the driveshaft it will never be in balance.

After seeing how a driveshaft is balanced with zero u joint angle, they would never see what was happening when it has u joint angle. Its still raining here so maybe tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah. There should be zero play in the strap/cups.

Post Thanks / Like
    The play was driveshaft side, I have a new yoke on the rear end and the caps fit perfect. Takes a few tries to get it installed. I'm not happy with the driveshaft, they gouged the new slip yoke. I have to see if the seal rides where the big scratch is. Looks like the balancer did it. The driveshaft has now been balanced 3 times. It looks like a mess for new. They were rough changing the u joints. If I have more problems I'm going to order one from the US. They can only balance at 530 rpm. This shaft will see 6500-7000rpm and exceed critical rpm. I looked up the charts before I had one made and a 4" would be a little short on rpm at 60 inches. They told me a 3" would be fine and I ended up with 3.5. Its minimum 8 weeks to get a driveshaft. I'm thinking about running a driveshaft loop on both ends just incase it breaks. My gas tank is beside it.

I'm going to spin it up with no wheels to see how it is, I took it for a small drive last night. I can tell now it vibrated all the time before. Low speed Vibration is gone but I have to put the pinion angle back negative as it will go positive on any load. I have been thinking about cutting the floor and raising the transmission a bit more. I don't like how much the driveshaft decreases with the pinion angle rise.

I have spent alot of time chasing something I should not have had to. I can say that the first time I took the driveshaft back on the balancer it was out 9.8 and 10.3, thats grams on each side. They don't try for perfect, it ended up .8 and .8 when they were done and said they don't get them that good.

Post Thanks / Like
    I ended up running it with no axles to eliminate something else. Tried 3 pinion angles. At 100km it vibrates just not as bad as before.
    Going to find another shop to check it. I can feel the vibration in the rear end. Bearings feel fine and make no noise.

It's getting frustrating.

Post Thanks / Like
    Small update

I had the driveshaft checked at a different shop. They re-balanced it at a higher rpm. I was telling them I did not like how the rear u joint felt as it had a notchy spot in it. The clips are also pre loaded really hard.
    They told me it was fine. I got it back friday, still vibrates. I have never felt a new u joint that was not smooth. I thought they were going to take it apart and look at it.

I took the rear end out and apart and the bearings were fine, I had scoped them and they were quiet. I added preload to the pinion bearing, had to cheat for now as I do not have any shims for it. I took the smallest shim out and used locktight and tightened the nut until I had 15 inch pounds. I had to go back in and do it right at another date. Backlash is a tiny bit big and it does whine a bit on coasting. The shims for that are behind the pressed on carrier bearings. I cannot do that at home, I do not have a press. It still vibrates.

I ordered a new u joint and will just do it myself. I found a youtube video explaining how to set the axial play with the snap rings. They said it cannot have zero or less than zero and the preloaded snap rings are bad. The u joint comes with 3 sizes of snap rings. Spicer has another 2 or 3 if needed. I also ordered spicer, whats in it is NP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dang man. wth. Hopefully the new u joint will do it.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567