Modern Muscle Performance Group

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed - Mark made an international transaction very easy.

The Rat Patrol
    .....Aussie 1971 Valiant Charger -
    3800 stall, Cope 727 trans..... 6.1 Gen3 SRT crate DUAL QUADS! - Eddy Intake, SRT Max Plus cam on 110 LSA, 3500 stall, 4.11 geats, 3650 lbs -
    11.7 @ 115.4 mph

Post Thanks / Like
    Quick stupid question. Which year ECM is the best for programming? I was pretty sure 03 was the worst and I think 05 was a good one. I am thinking of coming out of the dark ages and going with FI on my next project. Thanks!! Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemijoejr View Post
    Quick stupid question. Which year ECM is the best for programming? I was pretty sure 03 was the worst and I think 05 was a good one. I am thinking of coming out of the dark ages and going with FI on my next project. Thanks!! Joe
    First off, I am not a PCM or programming guru. After a lot of research, I found out that which one to use has somewhat to do with what transmission you're planning on using. If you're using an older hydraulically controlled transmission (ie no computer controls) or a manual, then you'll want a PCM from a HEMI Ram with a manual transmission. I don't remember all the years and options I researched, but we settled on using an 05 RAM 2500 manual transmission PCM.

The other issue is the security system. If you get a PCM that was not "married" to a SKM module, you don't have to use the orginal ignition, key, etc.

We bought a PCM from the dealership, so it was not married to any keys. We then flashed the OEM tune and VIN with a dealerhip computer. The current WiTech system has a pretty good DRBIII simulator that works great. Then we were able to flash it with a Predator tune.

I'm sure Dave knows more about the specifics and the re-programming options, but I wanted something I could set-up myself.
    "The 5.7L engine was designed to be a balance of cost, weight, and power. The SRT 6.1L engine was designed to kick ass." - Team SRT

"She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself." Han Solo - the future of Hot Rodding

Post Thanks / Like
    In line with the subject at hand, I have a FAST 301013 (Xim/xfi) for my SRT8 69 Road Runner project. I got an idea to make a daily driver Magnum wagon using my 6.1 (i have the complete engine, harness, PCM, and mounts with manifolds) to test and tune etc. While it's more straight forward for my road runner, how does one use the stand alone for the magnum when the body computer controls the gauges and locks etc? I also have a TKO600 that would be nice to add. Ideas? I see a few v6 wagons for cheap considering they have blown engines etc.

thanks, Darren

Post Thanks / Like
    Im running the Holley Dominator EFI in my 64 Polara Gen3 car. Mine is one of the first units released for public consumption. I know Arrington did some of the testing. It seems to be a great system, the software is amazing. The dominator setup has tons of inputs and outputs. It will control almost anything you can think of.
    1964 Dodge Polara
    Modern Muscle Aluminun 426 Twin Turbo
    4L80 and a 9inch wavetrac

Post Thanks / Like
    fwiw, I'll be going with the MegaSquirt MS3 setup. I am assuming they have a base tune available for it, but if not, I'll survive.

edit: to add, the MegaSquirt comes preloaded with a 6.1L base tune. So yes, still "extensive" R&D for a perfect tune, but I can do some wide-band logging on the street to get it close. 2-3 hours on a dyno and I'll be dialed in pretty well.
    Last edited by goodysgotacuda; 09-27-2014 at 10:20 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by goodysgotacuda View Post
    fwiw, I'll be going with the MegaSquirt MS3 setup. I am assuming they have a base tune available for it, but if not, I'll survive.

edit: to add, the MegaSquirt comes preloaded with a 6.1L base tune. So yes, still "extensive" R&D for a perfect tune, but I can do some wide-band logging on the street to get it close. 2-3 hours on a dyno and I'll be dialed in pretty well.
    Resigned your BART membership then Goody?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Patrol View Post
    Resigned your BART membership then Goody?

haha, yessir!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm going to be building up a new engine hopefully by spring 2017, and I'm looking at PCM options since I'll be going with either a 6.1 or 6.4 based 426. Since the engine will be going in a 05 RT AWD, I imagine none of the OEM wiring for the 6.4 will work with the 05 system? I don't really want to rewire the whole car if I don't have to since that'd likely mean finding a donor car for the harnesses for the new engine.

I do want to do away with the drive by wire and go to a cable throttle, which is another reason why I'm looking away from the OEM PCM. What would be the ideal system that's still economical and allows me to keep at least the OEM gauges and obviously the NAG1 since I'm keeping the AWD system? I don't care about keeping traction control. This will be a streetable car.

2008 Dodge Magnum SXT AWD - Daily Driver
    2005 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD - Weekend Toy
    2008 Dodge Magnum SXT - Project car

Performance mods: Edge 3000 Stall, Trinity, SLP LM2, Custom Dual CAI, BCRacing Coilovers, R1 Concepts brakes, Tranzformer, HemiTuner TCM, Paramount Stage 2 Valve Body, American Racing 20x8.5 Rims
    Other: SRT Fascia, Road and Track Seats

60' - 1.95
    1/4 - 13.97 @ 99.7MPH

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Weber View Post
    Thought I would start this to talk about the different options available for Hot Rod Engine Management.

Let�s go from basic to the most comprehensive management. and list some pros and cons.
    Not everyone may agree but that is why we have forums.

MSD spark control
    carbureted applications

AEM(Mopar) and FAST
    Carbureted or EFI
    fully programmable (will require extensive R&D for comprehensive dailey driving)
    Racer friendly (RPM switches for nitrous etc.)
    Not VVT or drive by wire capable yet

Mega-Squirt
    Carbureted or EFI
    fully programmable (will require extensive R&D for comprehensive dailey driving)
    drive by wire capable
    Not VVT yet

Mo-Tech
    Carbureted or EFI
    fully programmable (will require extensive R&D for comprehensive daily driving)
    drive by wire and VVT capable

Factory ECU with custom harness
    Drive by wire, VVT, and in some applications MDS(why when we all our trying to turn ours off but it can do it)
    Tuned via DiabloSport products
    base system has 1000s of hours of R&D and programing compliments of mother Mopar
    Power adder capable
    factory component reliability
    Can be tuned by hundreds of CMR dealers Worldwide
    Most cost effective
    Not as all out race friendly as other systems

Sorry to resurrect this old thread - but I have a question: Has anyone used / converted the MOPAR standalong ECM/Harness/Pedal (SKU:MOP-77072455AB) on a Pre 2012 engine? It appears that the crank position wheel is the big issue, but is this solvable by programming / tune / software?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by protouringcuda View Post
    Sorry to resurrect this old thread - but I have a question: Has anyone used / converted the MOPAR standalong ECM/Harness/Pedal (SKU:MOP-77072455AB) on a Pre 2012 engine? It appears that the crank position wheel is the big issue, but is this solvable by programming / tune / software?
    Holley has a plug and play option.

Terminator X GEN III HEMI Kits - Holley Performance Products

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DBL.DWN View Post
    Yeah, I'm aware of that, and the X is DBC, not DBW. It's just that I have the MOPAR kit, and really want to make it work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hemidup View Post
    I had to make a home made harness for this FAST EFI Slant 6. I would have gladly paid someone a $1000 bucks to make one. Just sayin. lol

You sir, have the most amazing slant six I have ever laid eyes upon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Share This Thread