Post Thanks / Like

Will 2015 - 2019 Chrysler 300 seats swap directly into a 2019 Charger?

That's my question. I have a 2019 Charger Pursuit and I see complete leather interiors for 2015-2017 Chrysler 300 seats available locally for decent prices. Can I directly swap those into my Pursuit with no problems? I'm not concerned about heating or memory.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg55_99 View Post
    That's my question. I have a 2019 Charger Pursuit and I see complete leather interiors for 2015-2017 Chrysler 300 seats available locally for decent prices. Can I directly swap those into my Pursuit with no problems? I'm not concerned about heating or memory.

Greg

I'm almost positive that is a direct swap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, no one could tell me for sure if this was a direct swap, so I gambled and bought a set of leather front and rear seats out of a pair of 2015 300 S models from a couple of boneyards. Using car-part.com, I found a back seat for $99 and from one yard, two front seats for $99 each from another. Saved a few bucks that way. They are 99% perfect but have that big red "S" embossed on them. So, if they fit right (which I'll find out by this weekend), I'll turn my 2019 Charger Pursuit into a Charger "S" (with the big red "S" from a 300". It pays to search around. I've got the carpet for $75. I'm hoping I don't have any airbag warning light problems.

Greg
    Last edited by Greg55_99; 09-04-2019 at 12:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    If it's like the 1st gen, you'll need to switch the seat bottom frames to avoid the air bag light (and make sure you don't sit in them while they are out of the car). Again, if like the 1st gen, switching the lower frames id very easy - flip it over, and you'll readily see how to do it. Sorry I don't have direct experience with the later LX's, but assume that it's not a; that different from the earlier models. Oh, BTW, great prices you got on those!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for chiming in! This is the info I've been hoping to get. When you say swap out the seat bottom frame, does that include swapping the motors, wiring, cushion and leather covering as well? Is there something different about the Pursuit seat frame than the standard frame that causes the system to throw out a warning light?

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Greg,

As I recall, when you flip the seat over (it's been over a year since I did this) you'll see the plastic strip that attaches the cover to the seat bottom frame. Release that, and I believe there is one other one - that will allow you to remove the cover and cushion as one piece that you can then attach to your old frame. Again, I recall that there was something specific to the sensor in the seat, so that is why you need to switch to your frame. I believe that someone posted a how-to on here somewhere, which is where I got the info. I switched from standard seats to SRT seats, around the same year as mine. You will have to separate the upper and lower portions of the seat, and then attach the new back to your original lower frame once you reinstall the cushion. It sounds like a lot more work than it really is, Removing the seats took s long as the switch over. Also, don't worry about your seat cover getting wrinkles, or otherwise looking like it has been switched by an amateur, as it's really foolproof and simple.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah SO! In your seat, did you have one or two connectors? My 2019 seat has one yellow connector for both power and airbag sensors. The 2015 300 seat has the same single connector (no heat or memory). In theory, I could unplug the old Cop seat and plug in the 2015 300 seat. In theory that is. However, the Cop passenger seat has no power backrest or power fore/aft. Would switching the seat frame have any effect on that? The 300 seat has power.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    If it's like the first gen seat, you can separate the bottom seat frame from the rails and power mechanism, so it would be easy to make it power - and I think you could just bolt the whole thing to your seat frame bottom and have power seats. I got my seats from a Challenger SRT, and for some reason the passenger side seat was manual, so I was only able to get power fore and aft on the passenger side. It would have required removing the cover for the back of the seat and putting it on my frame, which was above my pay grade. Also, the drivers side had a power seat, and it plugged right up, but the back angle adjustment was backwards from my seat (when I pulled forward on the button, the seat back angled backwards) so you may run into some of those issues. That's easy enough to correct by changing the pins, but unfortunately requires removing the seat again.

To answer your other question, I only had one connector on the bottom of the seat - I think it was for the sensor to tell if someone was in the seat. Obviously, you'll have another couple of connectors for the power operation. If you don't have power seats currently, you'll have to sort that out.
    Last edited by RDT; 09-06-2019 at 12:04 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe I made a mistake in an earlier post - I don't think you have to separate the seat back frame from the lower frame to do this. I did, but I'm pretty sure you don't have to. There are 4 or 6 bolts that hold that pan for the seat bottom to the frame, and you take those out and remove the pan with the cover on it - then take off the cover, switch the new cover and pad onto your frame, and reinstall. As a disclaimer, I'm not certain that you have to switch the frame (or why) to avoid an air bag light - I read it on a post here, and thought "better safe than sorry".

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, I've got my answer on this. The 300 S seats fit the Charger perfectly. Just cleaned them up, and installed them. Almost. Getting the backseat out of the Charger Pursuit was actually the hardest part. I couldn't get a screwdriver behind the seat to pop that dadgum clip. Finally I slid a small pair of needle nosed vice grip pliers in there and got them out. Back seat and seat bottom from the 300 S went in nice and easy after that.

The fronts, not so much. The fit, and work and have power, but, wouldn't you know it. The air bag light came on and stayed on. So... I guess I've got some work cut out for me. I took the front seats back out for now. When I put the other seats back in, everything went back to normal. So, I'll review the info you've posted and see if I can get some sort of hybrid seat that will satisfy the system.

One thing of note, I had the 300 seats in the Charger for two hours and drove it around over rough roads just to get a feel. WHOA! Those seats smooth out that rough Pursuit suspension some. Things feel a whole lot nicer without the cop seats.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I need to be a little more clear. I uninstalled the drivers seat only from the Pursuit. I pulled the positive battery cable. I then installed the drivers seat from the 300. Once the connector was reconnected, I then reconnected the battery. I then started the car. The airbag warning light came on and stayed on. THEN, I attempted to fasten the seat belt and found it the clasp wouldn't lock into place. Examination showed the clasp attached to the seat was "sunk in" and looked to be jammed in the down position. It would not lock. I drove it around for two hours with no locked seat belt and no airbags engaged. Common sense got the better of me and I pulled the car back in, disconnected the battery and pulled the 300 seat out. Inspection showed the seat belt clasp on the seat was depressed in about an inch. Fortunately, it looks like I can use the good one on the original Pursuit seat to replace it. One bolt and one connector. Anyway, as I've said, once I put the Pursuit seat back in and hooked up the battery, all the lights went out. Back to normal.

Doing an internet search it appears the clasp is designed to depress during an impact. In that state, it my be telling the system it's no good and that my be the problem on that side. I'll change the clasp and see what happens this weekend. This car is my daily driver so I can't fiddle with it on weekdays. I never touched the passenger seat.

OK, that's it for now. Any ideas, I game.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Pretensioner1.jpg

This is the object of my problem. The seat belt pretensioner. At impact, the airbag goes off and activates this doo-hickey on the side of the seat to tighten the seat belt. One time use. So, it's toast. However, the Pursuit does NOT have a pretensioner on the seat. So, when I get the chance, I'll swap on the Pursuit clasp to replace this item and see if the system barfs. As a heads up, for you folks that buy seats out of wrecked cars, you'll have to deal with this and it's just one more thing that makes your airbag system bark at you.

Greg