Post Thanks / Like

Passenger HID is yellow

Hey all,
    I posted this under the charger forum but haven’t heard anything yet and didn’t find anything on a search. I got this HID kit from a user on here and love it but the passenger headlight is much more yellow than the driver side. IMG_0081.JPG
    It’s hard to tell from the picture but you can notice it easy in person. Any idea what might be causing this? They are hylux ballasts with morimoto 5500k bulbs. The ballasts have the anti flicker and cancel built in so I haven’t had an issue with that, even without using the diode dynamics anti flicker. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Scat Pack Forums

Post Thanks / Like
    Two different bulbs with different Kelvin rating.
    2005 Magnum RT---Viper Venom Red----440ci Aluminum block----Short Runner Valve Intake--410mm BAER 6S Monoblock Extreme--Eibach Multi-Pro 2

Custom--Grille Work--Hood--Headlights--Side View Mirrors--Rear Spoiler--Rear Diffuser--SRV Control System--Turbine Wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemissary View Post
    Two different bulbs with different Kelvin rating.
    It’s possible. I was wondering if maybe the ballast could not put out as much power to warm it up all the way? I don’t know much about HIDs.

Post Thanks / Like
    As Hemissary suggests, it may be the bulbs (different colour temperature rating or different age), but it could also be the ballasts. The solution is to move bulb/ballasts etc. from the driver side to the passenger side and see if the problem moves with it. A few permutations will help you narrow it down. Let us know what transpires.

Post Thanks / Like
    If the ballast fires the reaction at the interface with an HID bulb, the color is the color :^)

The problem for the OP is that simply replacing one or the other bulb may not solve the issue. So buy two bulbs instead; that way one can guarantee they are likely the same batch and age.

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ll try swapping the bulbs with each other to see if it’s the ballasts or bulbs tonight. Thanks for the help. I’ll let y’all know.

Post Thanks / Like
    So I swapped the bulbs and the light on the passenger side is still the one that is slightly yellow. So I know the ballast is not getting the bulb hot enough. I also verified they’re both 5500k. I’ll try messing with connections to see if I don’t have a good ground or something. Otherwise I’ll end up replacing the ballast. Thanks all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for keeping us informed. Before spending money on a new ballast, I would swap the passenger ballast with the driver ballast to ensure that the problem moves with what you think may be the problematic ballast. There have been reports in the past where one side of the car works fine with HID but not the other. That said, this is more to do with the bulb not striking straight away rather than a colour temperature problem. Maybe something to do with harness lengths or grounding etc. People use relays to get around this particular problem. Regards

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome. Good idea swapping ballasts to make sure. Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    So I swapped the ballasts to either side and made sure the connections and grounds were good. It’s still the passenger side. This tells me I either have something in the projector housing (unlikely) or the passenger side isn’t putting out the right amount of voltage to get the bulb up to temp. But when I turn the high beams on you can’t see it in the high beams but you can still see it in the low. IMG_0111.JPGIMG_0112.JPG
    Guess I can just live with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I get the "wrong color" issue with the HID's in my truck when one of them fails to ignite on the first try, and I flick the switch off/on to get them to work. If I turn them off and wait a moment, then back on, they'll both match in color. Have no idea why. It makes no sense to me whatsoever but it is very real and repeatable. I've just written it off as cheap aftermarket HID's. The headlights on the truck are on relays from the factory so I don't believe it's a low voltage issue though I haven't bothered measuring it, as I'm pretty sure the problem is just the quality of the HID's themselves.

Richard
    06 Silverado ISS / 06 Silverado SS / 06 300C SRT8

Post Thanks / Like
    To rule out the harness as the issue (causing voltage drops), connect the passenger ballast direct to the battery, with the engine already running. If it`s not that, then you may be on to something in suspecting the projector. When you turn the high beams on, I assume you are triggering a solenoid to move the projector shield. Perhaps there is some oxidation on the back of the shield.