Post Thanks / Like

Fob/Trunk Access Question

So just picked up the 2016 Scat Pack Challenger with M6 trans. First new car since the 2005 Magnum R/T. The fob is handy since the doors unlock automatically when you grab the handle. Just walk up to the trunk and push the button and it opens, great when you have packages.Stopped in traffic the other day and saw a guy panhandling and it made me think.....since the fob is in my pocket, and I'm in the driver's seat, it's close enough to be detected....so if anybody walked up to the trunk and pushed the button, would it open? Could I have stuff stolen out of my trunk while sitting in traffic? Anybody know the answer? On an A8 you could just lock out the button unless in "Park", but how would you do it on an M6?

Post Thanks / Like
    On my '17 Daytona, the outside trunk button is only enabled when the car is in park.
    Likes Blokhead liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    That's what I figured by how about an M6 Trans?

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh yeah, you did say you had a manual didn't you.

Capture.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't imagine FCA didn't think about this while designing the car. I'd lay odds your trunk won't open if the car is running UNLESS the park brake is set.

Have a friend try to open it while your sitting at idle in a parking lot or something.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Um, the answer is in my post above yours...that is a snip from the 2016 Challenger owners manual.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SnakeEyes View Post
    Um, the answer is in my post above yours...that is a snip from the 2016 Challenger owners manual.
    I'm not trying to be a pecker head, but that does NOT answer the OP's question.

Obviously, the exterior trunk button works when you approach the vehicle with the fob and the car is locked. The doors do NOT have to be unlocked for the button to work.

It also does not address operation while the vehicle is running. These doors don't lock fast enough and there are times you're sitting in traffic with the doors unlocked...unless you hit the lock button as soon as you get in the car.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Likes troper liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I have a 2015 SRT 392 auto and after seeing your post I got curious and went out to try mine.
    Before I go any further, my first thought was that the FOB would have to be closer. I based that assumption off the fact that I found I had to be pretty close to my doors in order for the doors to recognize the FOB.
    So the first thing I did was put my fob in the cup holder and went back and opened the trunk. Yes it did open but I still didn't fully believe it.
    Then I realized that when the doors are unlocked you don't need the fob to open the trunk. So I locked the doors by leaving a window open so I could lock it after I shut the door. Couldn't leave the fob, then leave the car, as it doesn't allow you to lock yourself out that way.
    Sure enough with the doors locked and the fob in the cup holder, I couldn'd open the truck.
    Best test for you would be to have a second person to try it. I'd say as long as the doors are locked, which they typically would be, no one can open the trunk.

EDIT: Just saw the other comments above regarding, while the car is running. I don't think the car running makes a difference, as far as your question is concerned, so long as your doors are locked.
    Last edited by Diehard; 10-01-2018 at 05:47 PM.
    Likes Scattered liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks snake eyes, I DO have the manual. So the button on the trunk only works in an "unlock" condition. So when I'm in the car and the doors are locked the button on the trunk is disabled. Makes sense.What caused me to question this is this scenario: Car is in the store parking lot, locked. I walk up to it with fob in my pocket, press button and open trunk. Insert packages and close trunk. Walk over to driver's door and note that it is locked, and it unlocks when I grab the handle. So is the fob unlocking the car and activating the trunk button in response to my open request? Then re-locking when I close the trunk so the doors appear locked by the time I get there?Worth noting, be sure your doors are locked because your trunk is accessible when they are not....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by burbman View Post
    Thanks snake eyes, I DO have the manual. So the button on the trunk only works in an "unlock" condition. So when I'm in the car and the doors are locked the button on the trunk is disabled. Makes sense.What caused me to question this is this scenario: Car is in the store parking lot, locked. I walk up to it with fob in my pocket, press button and open trunk. Insert packages and close trunk. Walk over to driver's door and note that it is locked, and it unlocks when I grab the handle. So is the fob unlocking the car and activating the trunk button in response to my open request? Then re-locking when I close the trunk so the doors appear locked by the time I get there?Worth noting, be sure your doors are locked because your trunk is accessible when they are not....
    By my experience, in the scenario you outline no, the car doors do not unlock when the trunk does, they are independent. I will say though that when you reach the drivers door with the fob in your pocket the trunk button MAY still operate because of your proximity to it. I have seen my daughter pop the trunk when I was standing by the passenger front door of my locked Charger. It surprised me because I was just about to tell her that the trunk won't open and it did. So, in summary the trunk will open from the exterior button if A.) the car is unlocked (at least the drivers door I believe) or B.) the car is locked and you have the fob in your pocket (or very close by).

You probably already know this but there is a setting in UConnect that changes which doors open when you unlock the drivers door, well at least there is on my Charger and my RAM, Durango and 300 all have it also. You can set it to driver only or all doors. I have mine set to driver only even though I almost always have to open all the doors for the kids. I do that because when I'm alone I don't want to create a security risk. Also, when ever I get in the car, as soon as my door is shut my hand automatically goes to the lock button and I lock all the doors. Folks from good neighborhoods might not know that prime time to be car jacked is as soon as you sit down in the car because you're focused on doing all kinds of other stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good info. This is my first car with this keyless fob set up so am just now getting a sense of distances, etc. Today I drove to the deli for lunch and left the drivers window down. I got out of the car and noted the sky looked pretty dark nearby so thought I better roll the window up. I had the fob in my left front pocket, I opened the door and leaned in to press the start button so it would go to ACC and power the window. No dice. After a few tries, I sat in the drivers seat and then the start button worked.

My conclusion was that the fob wasn't close enough with me standing outside the car. Maybe the same is true with the trunk...if I am sitting in the car with the fob in my pocket, it's not close enough to the trunk to activate it. When I standing outside the car, the fob is close enough to allow the trunk button to work even though the car doors are locked.

My next experiment....if I leave the car idling and walk away with the fob in my pocket, how far can I go before it shuts off....

Post Thanks / Like
    Good info. This is my first car with this keyless fob set up so am just now getting a sense of distances, etc. Today I drove to the deli for lunch and left the drivers window down. I got out of the car and noted the sky looked pretty dark nearby so thought I better roll the window up. I had the fob in my left front pocket, I opened the door and leaned in to press the start button so it would go to ACC and power the window. No dice. After a few tries, I sat in the drivers seat and then the start button worked.

My conclusion was that the fob wasn't close enough with me standing outside the car. Maybe the same is true with the trunk...if I am sitting in the car with the fob in my pocket, it's not close enough to the trunk to activate it. When I standing outside the car, the fob is close enough to allow the trunk button to work even though the car doors are locked.

My next experiment....if I leave the car idling and walk away with the fob in my pocket, how far can I go before it shuts off....
    Couple of things I've discovered over the last two years with my Charger. If you pop the trunk with the fob, you will still have to unlock the doors to get in. If you hit the unlock button on the fob, you can walk up to the vehicle and press the button on the trunklid, then get in the car after. And as mentioned above, if the doors are locked, the trunk can not be opened from outside unless you put the vehicle in park.

I also discovered you can't lock your keys in the trunk. I took a bike ride the other day, and put the car keys in a backpack while riding. After we got back to the car and loaded the bikes up, I tossed the backpack into the trunk and closed it. The trunk promptly popped back open; I shut it, and it opened again. Then I realized why, the car is saying "Hey dumbass, don't lock your keys in the trunk LOL."

As far as driving without the fob, I don't think it's possible. One night my wife and I got home and I pulled my Charger into the driveway. I left it running, got the keys to move her '18 Wrangler JL, and my wife hopped in the driver's seat of the Charger. I was in the Wrangler with both fobs, and the Charger would not shift out of Park for her without the fob. So we switched places. The weird thing is, she was able to move the Wrangler without the fob once it was running, and like I said, both fobs were in my pocket.
    Last edited by TPI Monte SS; 10-02-2018 at 08:49 PM.
    '16 Charger R/T - GoMango with HyperBlack wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Tried mine last night with FOB well away from the car, it went into Drive and message saying that key fob not detected, so mine could be taken. I should have got out of car, then hopped back in and see if the results were the same or not, might try it tonight

Sent from my SM-G950W using Scat Pack Forums mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    This how they are stealing cars without the keys. They use the amplified signal from your FOB sitting on your kitchen table to gain access and start the car. Once started it can be driven until it is turned off again and will not start unless the key is withing range. I have had customers go on test drives in these new proximity key vehicles with the keys sitting on my desk. As long as they didn't turn it off it will function normally with the message No Key Present on the EVIC.
    Never give up on something you can not go a day without thnking about.....

Post Thanks / Like
    So just picked up the 2016 Scat Pack Challenger with M6 trans. First new car since the 2005 Magnum R/T. The fob is handy since the doors unlock automatically when you grab the handle. Just walk up to the trunk and push the button and it opens, great when you have packages.Stopped in traffic the other day and saw a guy panhandling and it made me think.....since the fob is in my pocket, and I'm in the driver's seat, it's close enough to be detected....so if anybody walked up to the trunk and pushed the button, would it open? Could I have stuff stolen out of my trunk while sitting in traffic? Anybody know the answer? On an A8 you could just lock out the button unless in "Park", but how would you do it on an M6?
    If someone opens your trunk at a red light just throw it in reverse and punch it...……..or get a trunk monkey. Both are highly effective.