Post Thanks / Like

300SRT Running hot but not overheating????

So on Saturday I noticed the water temp gauge getting up into the high 190s. It almost always sits around 185F unless I'm running the car hard. But now for the last 3 days it seems to get hot quickly upon initial start up & the temps will sit in the high 190s and get up into the low 200s-210s when running. I use autostick all the time to keep the car from bogging with the Whipple. Now I've had the Whipple setup for almost a year & even down in the heat of Texas it would stay in the 180s. Whipple provides a 160F thermostat with kit which I am using. I've checked the fans & they are running fine, coolant was about 2-3 cups low so I added some distilled water for now. The car will cool back down sitting in traffic or when the revs drop back down while moving. But I'm clueless as far as what could be causing this all the sudden?? Would a thermostat stuck open do this? Ive google searched & searched the forums but am not finding a good answer?
    LMI True 4" CAI - Tranzformer V2 - Trinity - QTP Cut Outs - Killer Glass - BT Catch Can & Underhood Bling
    20x9.5, 20x10.5 Brass Monkey Hellcat Reps - KW Adjustable Springs - Stainless Long Tube Headers w/ Catless Mids - Whipple 2.9L - TruFiber Deep Dish Grill - Amerihood Hellcat Hood

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in the same boat... My next step is to pull the stat and check it, then make sure the coolant is burped.
    2012 300 SRT8: 22" Vossen wheels, Nitto 420 265/35/22 front and 295/30/22 rear, SLP Bigmouth II exhaust, Tuned by Hemifever, Mishimoto 180° stat, Legmaker Tru CAI, Billet tech Oil Catch can.

I am silently correcting you're gramar and speling.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah thats what Im going to look at tonight I just have to pull the pulley brackets off too to get to it. Not as easy as it used to be.

Post Thanks / Like
    I’d definitely start at the stat , I’ve had SO many go bad on me in the past(even brand new). It’s usually the culprit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    A thermostat, unless it is stuck closed, cannot cause overheating. Once it is open at its set point, it no longer has any affect on the coolant temp.

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve had thermostats fail that don’t open all the way. A thermostat that does not open to max flow will cause overheating while under load just like a reduction in coolant flow due to reduced passage diameter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes ronan978 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I ordered a new Mishimoto so I can just replace it. Don't want to deal with the pulling, boiling, is it open, if it isn't then put it back together and order one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by done View Post
    A thermostat, unless it is stuck closed, cannot cause overheating. Once it is open at its set point, it no longer has any affect on the coolant temp.
    Sure can , just like newold stated. My last one , brand new when we installed the 426. One week later , overheating(up to 215-220ish)only under load. Then back down , until finally it crapped out completely and temps hit the ceiling. This was not the first time and surely will not be the last. This particular car is going on three years old and on its fourth stat.
    Likes UpInSmoke liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Have a new thermostat coming in from Whipple Friday so hoping that solves it. Unfortunately with Whipple you have to remove the pulley bracket to get to the thermostat so I'll just replace it when I take it apart.

Post Thanks / Like
    My new stat will be here tomorrow so I can put it in over the weekend if my back holds out.

Post Thanks / Like
    The stat arrived and I had the time so in it went. The temps are way down now (170-178° on the way into work). I'm not happy that a 1.5 year old $50 stat failed but happy it isn't something else more expensive.