Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by someotherguy View Post
    It's a subject I've never really explored too deeply; I have bought a few vehicles in the past from boneyards but they were generally so far gone they were just good for parts. Only once did I ever get one with a title and transfer/register it to be used on-road again and that was a '61 Chevy Apache Suburban I quite literally saved from the crusher at a scrapyard (not a salvage yard) so the circumstances were a little different regarding the title.

Some large salvage yards do sell certain whole vehicles with title, but it's apparent they choose these vehicles ahead of time if that is going to be their final disposition. Pull-A-Part, for example, does a lot of "project car" sales in many different states that they operate in.

Richard
    There are a few pull-a-part yards around here that have a side lot for selling complete cars. but it's a decision that is made upon intake of the car. Can it easily be sold complete and is running and doesn't need any repairs, put it in the lot for a little while. Anything that could compromise the sale, any sort of repairs, its just easier to put it in the yard. I think a national chain like LKQ, they probably just put them in the yard because it is less hassle for them and they are going to make more $$ on the parts than the actual car.
    - Brian T.
    "Pamela" 2006 Magnum SRT

| web: Michael Brian Studios | instagram: @MichaelBrianStudios |

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MikuhlBrian View Post
    There are a few pull-a-part yards around here that have a side lot for selling complete cars. but it's a decision that is made upon intake of the car. Can it easily be sold complete and is running and doesn't need any repairs, put it in the lot for a little while. Anything that could compromise the sale, any sort of repairs, its just easier to put it in the yard. I think a national chain like LKQ, they probably just put them in the yard because it is less hassle for them and they are going to make more $$ on the parts than the actual car.
    The main thing is, they need a dealers license to sell a car. Here in FL you cannot even go to a NEW or USED car lot with a flatbed, a truck, and a briefcase full of cash and leave with a car and it's title. It HAS TO be registered in YOUR name and insured.

The whole junkyards selling cars thing. I've heard many people tell me they sold a car years ago, I work with a guy who sold a car and 15 years later got a call from the police saying they found his car on the side of the highway several states away and he needs to pay some fees. Same with a junkyard, especially a corporate operated junkyard. They sell a car, how do they get the title in the buyers name without relying on the buyer to do it? What happens when the previous owner gets a phone call that the car he sold to LKQ was found at the scene of a fatal accident? And he's still the registered owner.

Not everything is directed at the post I quoted.

I was asked what special treatment an LKQ employee would need to take ownership of a car. I don't find it difficult to figure out. Say a flatbed comes in with a 2006 Magnum SRT on it WITH AN OPEN TITLE.
    That employee could go to a manager and ask if they could buy the car. The manager could say sure, it'll be $4000 and go get the title put in your name and you can take the car when you show a title stating you're the legal owner. This is assuming the car came from someone who owned it and handed an open title over. I see a lot of cars in there marked "derelict", FHP, the name of a impound lot, etc. A regular person could hand over an open title. If they don't have it they usually don't feel like running around to apply for a lost title when it can be hauled off after signing some papers, etc, in this case no title = no sale. The only person who can legally get a title for a vehicle is the registered owner, legal (estate beneficiary--forgot the word for that, I had to do that when my dad died), OR a car dealer. NOT a junkyard.

Any questions can be directed to the place that has a car your interested in, or the registration office in the area. No one needs to argue with me or tell me I'm wrong. I'm just sitting here trying to give a brief description of what I've experienced, as fast as I can because I don't feel like explaining something.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GTG88 View Post
    WARNING: Graphic Rust!

Has anyone else had problems with rust in the unibody "frame" area in front of the rear wheels? There's a plastic panel that covers up this area which includes the rear lift/jack point. I just found this rust last week when that panel fell down and it's making me sick.

Can this be cut out and weld in a good patch? Has anyone had that done?

05 Magnum RT, 149k, great shape otherwise, owned since 2006, frequent underbody washes in winter but I live in northern Indiana...

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
    Reviving this thread a bit, I'm a new Magnum owner, mine came from Ohio/WV. My excellent friend happens to enjoy body + frame fabrication work, so he is going to repair some very similar rust damage with some help from me. I will post more before and after pictures as we get going next week.

To anyone reading this who is looking at buying a Magnum or other LX of this generation, check the rear jack position for rust. These torque box shields are the perfect platform for big rust issues to develop from. They hide the issue (along with the rocker panel) from being noticed from below. My car's issue is so bad I probably could have reached under and pulled a handful of rust out if I knew where to check. These are located right in front of the rear wheels, the rubber pad is for a lift jack point, mine was instead a naturally occurring speed hole.

Magnum "speed holes" - Album on Imgur
    Likes Johnsand, GTG88 liked this post

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123