Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pursuitlx View Post
    Easy to justify not spending any money on such an "old car"
    I'd definitely evaluate the whole underbody first.
    I mean if it was my Mag RT Id sure consider grafting sections of a good southwestern car on it.
    I can't tell you the last time I saw one on the road around here, surely a desirable car.
    I wonder if it even has to be a Magnum, aren't all LX and LC cars similar in structure?
    Maybe look for the newest (least rust) wrecked Police Charger you can find locally for parts.
    Hope you can figure a way to save it!
    Even down here in the southwest (Phoenix, Arizona) I don't see too many Magnums running around. Most of the ones I do see are V6 cars, it's very rare to see a V8. Well, except the one in my driveway lol. I would definitely try to fix it, they didn't make that many and aren't making any more. They are a future classic without question. If my car dies I will try to find a way to fix it.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    1949 International KB2 "Mater" 302/T5

1968 Dodge Dart GTS "The Drat", 340/727

2006 Dodge Magnum R/T the "Wagnum", 5.7/auto

2016 Dodge Durango Limited, 3.6/auto

Oh Drat! Racing
    Thanks GTG88 thanked for this post
    Likes GTG88 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the words of encouragement guys! I'm definitely hoping to save it!
    Likes MagnumFan7 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Just out of curiosity, I ran a nationwide Autotrader search for Magnums and there are a few RTs out there for sale with the prices all over the place. Evaluate the cost of repairing yours against the cost of buying another. I know you are attached to yours but.....
    Thanks GTG88 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I've seen that before on a Ohio police charger. Are you sure thats all thats rusted? I drove this charger 1 1/2 hours home and surprised I made it. I swapped a good 2006 body onto it, because it was cheap, rust free, couldn't find a '09 up. Swapped the body only.
    This is how bad it was.

Front subframe barely attached

The whole engine looked like this also, I chipped and sandblasted both.

Another turning point.

This is the carrier bearing mount. I cut it off with a sawzall. You can see how thin it was.

This is a main brake like, it broke after gently unclipping it.

Obviously not attached to this car. It was nice to dissect to see what these things are made of.
    Thanks GTG88, blue_devil thanked for this post
    Likes pir8magnum liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Be careful how hard you look for one. This was a an LKQ u pull it yard. They must have paid well under $800 for it, and they can't legally sell it.
    I bought the cluster for $35. 65,000 miles
    Sold the cluster on ebay for $350

Anyway, I got there the day after they listed it, and the cluster was the only SRT part left (for some odd reason). Rust free body.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd love to know why they couldn't legally sell that SRT. It's got a clean Carfax.
    "Many true sports cars can be outrun by a powerful sedan." - Sir William Lyons, Chairman, British Leyland

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay727 View Post
    I've seen that before on a Ohio police charger. Are you sure thats all thats rusted? I drove this charger 1 1/2 hours home and surprised I made it. I swapped a good 2006 body onto it, because it was cheap, rust free, couldn't find a '09 up. Swapped the body only.
    This is how bad it was.

Front subframe barely attached

The whole engine looked like this also, I chipped and sandblasted both.

Another turning point.

This is the carrier bearing mount. I cut it off with a sawzall. You can see how thin it was.

This is a main brake like, it broke after gently unclipping it.

Obviously not attached to this car. It was nice to dissect to see what these things are made of.
    That looks bad, it will take you some time to get rid of the rust.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CtCarl View Post
    I'd love to know why they couldn't legally sell that SRT. It's got a clean Carfax.
    Not sure if you're serious.
    Whoever sold it to LKQ may have been able to sell it to a regular person, and for a lot more money.

But once it hits the yard at an LKQ it cannot be sold. I guess an LKQ employee MAY have been able to buy it if it had an open title. BUT I would think they'd do so BEFORE it was put out in the yard and stripped.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure if you're serious.
    Whoever sold it to LKQ may have been able to sell it to a regular person, and for a lot more money.

But once it hits the yard at an LKQ it cannot be sold. I guess an LKQ employee MAY have been able to buy it if it had an open title. BUT I would think they'd do so BEFORE it was put out in the yard and stripped.
    Yes, I'm serious. I'm curious to know why "they can't legally sell it". I'm especially interested to learn what special treatment LKQ employees are granted under the law in that state.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I'm serious. I'm curious to know why "they can't legally sell it". I'm especially interested to learn what special treatment LKQ employees are granted under the law in that state.
    I would suggest contacting LKQ. FYI this car was at their Davie (Fort Lauderdale) location approx 2 years ago.
    Good luck with that. Let us know how that goes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would suggest contacting LKQ. FYI this car was at their Davie (Fort Lauderdale) location approx 2 years ago.
    Good luck with that. Let us know how that goes.
    Thanks for the suggestion, but LKQ didn't say they couldn't legally sell it, you did. From the fact that you're dodging the question and responding with "Good luck with that. Let us know how that goes", I take it that you just made up that part.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the suggestion, but LKQ didn't say they couldn't legally sell it, you did. From the fact that you're dodging the question and responding with "Good luck with that. Let us know how that goes", I take it that you just made up that part.
    And likewise I knew you were asking the question just to start ****, not because you were actually interested in buying anything.
    I know the law in regards to vehicle titling.

If you, for some odd reason, want to hear LKQ tell YOU the many reasons why they can't legally sell you a car, since you can't take my word, GIVE THEM A CALL.

I'm not obligating myself to explain it to you so you can argue about it with me. Grow some balls, give them a call.

Post Thanks / Like
    From what I remember reading is that once LKQ takes a car, they mark the title and car/VIN for destruction. Once the title/VIN are marked for destruction, they can't legally resell the vehicle. It then goes into the yard to be stripped of parts for a few weeks, and then the remainder is sold for scrap. When going into the yard, some of the prep work to get it into the yard is somewhat destructive. Holes drilled into gas tanks, cats cut from exhaust pipes, etc.
    - Brian T.
    "Pamela" 2006 Magnum SRT

| web: Michael Brian Studios | instagram: @MichaelBrianStudios |
    Likes Johnsand liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MikuhlBrian View Post
    From what I remember reading is that once LKQ takes a car, they mark the title and car/VIN for destruction. Once the title/VIN are marked for destruction, they can't legally resell the vehicle. It then goes into the yard to be stripped of parts for a few weeks, and then the remainder is sold for scrap. When going into the yard, some of the prep work to get it into the yard is somewhat destructive. Holes drilled into gas tanks, cats cut from exhaust pipes, etc.
    It's a subject I've never really explored too deeply; I have bought a few vehicles in the past from boneyards but they were generally so far gone they were just good for parts. Only once did I ever get one with a title and transfer/register it to be used on-road again and that was a '61 Chevy Apache Suburban I quite literally saved from the crusher at a scrapyard (not a salvage yard) so the circumstances were a little different regarding the title.

Some large salvage yards do sell certain whole vehicles with title, but it's apparent they choose these vehicles ahead of time if that is going to be their final disposition. Pull-A-Part, for example, does a lot of "project car" sales in many different states that they operate in.

Richard
    06 Silverado ISS / 06 Silverado SS / 06 300C SRT8
    Likes Johnsand liked this post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast