Post Thanks / Like

08' AWD 300 Stuck in 2nd gear?

my 2008 chrysler 300 awd 3.5Liter engine is stuck in 2nd gear. the abs light, brake light are all on. is it some kind of limp mode and will it go away once i have the rear end parts installed? She needs some rear end parts that I have ordered.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have an '06 RT AWD Magnum. Last year it behaved like that, and showed those codes. Check Engine too, but not consistently iirc. It was the right rear tone ring. When that broke, the wheel speed sensor could no longer read the wheel. Correct the codes before trying expensive transmission work. Good luck, keep us posted.
    Thanks OzzyNF thanked for this post
    Likes Jim McVeigh, LXicon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnsand View Post
    I have an '06 RT AWD Magnum. Last year it behaved like that, and showed those codes. Check Engine too, but not consistently iirc. It was the right rear tone ring. When that broke, the wheel speed sensor could no longer read the wheel. Correct the codes before trying expensive transmission work. Good luck, keep us posted.
    thanks and do you have a part number for the ring?

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't. It was winter when mine failed, I took it to a mechanic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not necessarily the ring. There's a sensor involved that looks at the ring.
    Old 426 guy,
    Jim
    Likes Johnsand liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim McVeigh View Post
    Not necessarily the ring. There's a sensor involved that looks at the ring.
    whats the name of the sensor?

Post Thanks / Like
    Just "wheel speed sensor" I think.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just "wheel speed sensor" I think.
    i already replaced that.. didn't make any difference

Post Thanks / Like
    i have changed both CV axles and if im not mistaken the tone rings are a part of the cv axle.. i also changed some suspension components as well.. control arms, camber link..etc.. still no effect.. i even tried unhooking the battery to try to wipe the computer.. but that didn't work.. I do have a code reader but i will not erase those codes.. still stuck in 2nd gear with a dashboard like a poor man's Christmas tree.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OzzyNF View Post
    i have changed both CV axles and if im not mistaken the tone rings are a part of the cv axle.. i also changed some suspension components as well.. control arms, camber link..etc.. still no effect.. i even tried unhooking the battery to try to wipe the computer.. but that didn't work.. I do have a code reader but i will not erase those codes.. still stuck in 2nd gear with a dashboard like a poor man's Christmas tree.
    What are the codes you're trying to clear?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by punisher69 View Post
    What are the codes you're trying to clear?

every light u can think of is on.. bas,abs, etc the garage told me the rear suspension is shot.. so i have replaced most of it including the rear speed sensors.. Im starting to think the pcm is giving me trouble.. anyone have any experience with Flashmasters or a company like that?
    Last edited by OzzyNF; 03-18-2021 at 05:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    every light u can think of is on.. bas,abs, etc the garage told me the rear suspension is shot.. so i have replaced most of it including the rear speed sensors.. Im starting to think the pcm is giving me trouble.. anyone have any experience with Flashmasters or a company like that?
    If you have a code scanner, scan the codes and see what they are. If you don't have one, get someone else to scan it for you.

The car is smarter than most of the people that work on them and will tell you what's wrong so you're not wasting money putting suspension parts on to solve a non-suspension problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    found the problem.. broken abs wire.. hard to see but once it was reconnected car seems fine now.
    Likes Johnsand, doublechaz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    found the problem.. broken abs wire.. hard to see but once it was reconnected car seems fine now.
    Glad you got it sorted out. Where was the broken wire??? I'm having similar lights and limp mode for the trans.... it all happened after a hard braking and hard acceleration to avoid an accident.... I'd like to look for the wire before throwing money at cv shafts and hub bearings...

Thanks !
    Anthony

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Anthony J Francese
    Owner/Executive Producer
    Artistic Expressions, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Art-Tistic View Post
    Glad you got it sorted out. Where was the broken wire??? I'm having similar lights and limp mode for the trans.... it all happened after a hard braking and hard acceleration to avoid an accident.... I'd like to look for the wire before throwing money at cv shafts and hub bearings...

Thanks !
    Anthony

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    i brought it to my local mechanic.. the scan tool had no reading from the back of the car at all. I replaced both cv axles earlier and for apparently no reason but that how it goes. The broken wire was in an awkward spot and was hard to see. I think u are gonna need a lift to look. In my case it was most likely caused by driving through hard snow. It is worth checking out tho to make sure its not the wiring.