Post Thanks / Like

Temp gauge inop but data from PCM ok?

Looking for some direction on where to go with this problem. It seems to be an issue with the cluster, but I swapped with a known good Charger cluster and the problem persists.

2005 Magnum R/T. Temp gauge is inop and oil pressure bar reads 0 psi at all times. However, in cluster diagnostic mode the oil pressure bar still reads 0 psi, but the numeric info shows 147P. In addition, the coolant temp reads 32 degrees and throttle position shows 102%.

The weird part is when taking a look at the data from the PCM the correct ECT and oil pressure is shown on the data bus.

In addition, the CCN shows "SNA / Not Programmed" in the data for coolant temp. I suspect this is the root cause of my problem but I am not sure.

Any ideas? No codes in the system at all except for heated seat switch LO indicator failure - which shouldn't affect this at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Generically speaking newer cars need all the modules married to the VIN, so if you are running on your replacement cluster and have not done this... I'm pretty new to the LX and to advanced CANbus so my info may not apply in this case. So start by researching whether that info actually applies to the 05 Magnum, and if it does search for info about how to do it. Hopefully someone more platform specific will be along to dress me down and you'll collect the info in the process.

Post Thanks / Like
    Check your grounds.
    2012 300 SRT: SLP LM II exhaust, Underdrive Harmonic balancer, Tuned by Hemifever, 180° stat, LMI Tru CAI.
    I am silently correcting you're gramar and speling.

Post Thanks / Like
    The cluster that is currently is from a wrecking yard.

After doing some more research today, it turns out that cluster
    is from an 06MY LX. Unknown if it's Magnum or Charger.

So I think the first step is to get my hands on the correct year cluster and see what happens from there.

I did check the grounds and found no issues there.

Post Thanks / Like
    So in the interest of future Google searching,

It turns out that the incorrect year cluster is the issue. I borrowed the cluster out of my friend's 05 Mag RT and put it in my 05 RT and the problems were gone.

Also, I figured out that what's really happening with the incorrect cluster is the cluster is not receiving or not understanding that the ignition has been turned to on. Either that or it won't communicate properly with the PCM to get the data it needs. One of the two.

Ordered up a correct 05 cluster from another wrecking yard and we'll see how it goes.

Post Thanks / Like
    To make 06+ cluster work in 05, you need Body control module (front control module) from 06+.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Genestealer View Post
    To make 06+ cluster work in 05, you need Body control module (front control module) from 06+.
    Darn it! Wish I had known that before I spent $80 on a used 05 cluster. I have at least 2 spare 06 FCMs. One is from a Charger and the other a 300. Don't know if either of these would work in the Magnum without programming though.

Thanks for the info though, I will file that away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Radius118 View Post
    Darn it! Wish I had known that before I spent $80 on a used 05 cluster. I have at least 2 spare 06 FCMs. One is from a Charger and the other a 300. Don't know if either of these would work in the Magnum without programming though.

Thanks for the info though, I will file that away.
    In my experience used FCMs are "partly" self programming. A few things will not work like rear hatch, rear wiper and washer, sometimes even door locks, and more things depending on differences in features between your car and donor.
    CCN stores a backup for FCM. So if you install a charger cluster and then new FCM, you get a charger backup written to your FCM.
    There's a thread somewhere here with more information on how it all works.
    Good thing we have cheap apps now like AlfaOBD and Appcar. Both CCN and FCM need several values changed to make it work fully.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Genestealer View Post
    In my experience used FCMs are "partly" self programming. A few things will not work like rear hatch, rear wiper and washer, sometimes even door locks, and more things depending on differences in features between your car and donor.
    CCN stores a backup for FCM. So if you install a charger cluster and then new FCM, you get a charger backup written to your FCM.
    There's a thread somewhere here with more information on how it all works.
    Good thing we have cheap apps now like AlfaOBD and Appcar. Both CCN and FCM need several values changed to make it work fully.
    I've searched, but haven't come up with that thread. Do you have a link?

Based on what you have stated then perhaps getting a used cluster was the wisest/easiest approach this time.

Yes, I have ordered a OBDlink EX for use with both. I also have a MX+ but I plan to use both with laptop only. From what I understand the PC version has more functionality. Besides I like the larger screen of a laptop when doing those sorts of things.

Is there a database or something somewhere that lists what all of the settings in all of the modules do? It sure would be nice to be able to look up the information without having to guess on what does what.