Post Thanks / Like

Part Ii- Transmission wors

Transmission woes - no gear engagement 2005 Magnum RT

Hi guys - It's been a while

I have a big problem and I'm hoping for some direction. Last night while leaving a jobsite I got stranded at (very busy) intersection in Tacoma. Car was in gear but wouldn't move - like it was in neutral. Tried autostick, no shift. No reverse either. Engine would only rev to about 2500 RPM and did so very slowly. It seemed like some kind of limp mode so I turned the car off and re-started. Car was able to move to the next intersection but started slipping halfway there and I barely made it. Threw on the flashers, got out and opened the hatch, removed all my tools and pulled the battery Neg. cable for 30 seconds. Put it back, started it and gear engaged, but light was red. By the time the light turned green it was not moving again.

Next thing I tried was to disconnect the Tranzformer harness (key off) and that didn't change anything. Removed both TCM plugs, got the car to go thru the intersection and down the road about 100 yards before it started slipping again. Coasted to a stop where it was safe and called the Triple A guys. Thanks goodness for Triple A!

So in summary,
    Turned car off and restarted - moved then slipped
    Pulled battery cable - moved then slipped
    Pulled Tranzformer harness - moved then slipped
    Pulled TCM harness - no change

When I got home (wife had to drive from Seattle to Tacoma to pick me up - couldn't ride with tow truck because Covid) I pulled the battery cable again, this time for an hour (I've done a few searches on here and found a few others with similiar problems) and again, the car moved for a bit then nothing.\

I'll check the tranny fluid tomorrow but I looked under the car and there was no sign of leakage or any other catastrophic problem. Wondering how to check the tranny fluid if I can't warm up the tranny by driving??

Any help would be very much appreciated. I do think this is an electronic problem, not mechanical but who know?

Die Hard Mopar fan~ '66 Chrysler Newport Sedan ('86-'93 RIP), '93 Eagle Vision (awesome car) ('93-'95), '95 Dodge Neon Sport Coupe ('95-'97), '97 Dodge Stratus ('97-'99),1968 Chrysler Town & Country Wagon ('95-'99), '66 Chrysler Newport Coupe ('99-'04), 66 Chrysler Newport Sedan ('04-present), 2004 Chrysler Pacifica AWD ('06-present - wifes car),
    2005 Dodge Magnum RT (silver, tow package, full SRT exhaust, heads shaved .020, custom tune by Diablotoona)
    Die Hard Mopar fan~ '66 Chrysler Newport Sedan ('86-'93 RIP), '93 Eagle Vision (awesome car) ('93-'95), '95 Dodge Neon Sport Coupe ('95-'97), '97 Dodge Stratus ('97-'99),1968 Chrysler Town & Country Wagon ('95-'99), '66 Chrysler Newport Coupe ('99-'04), 66 Chrysler Newport Sedan ('04-present), 2004 Chrysler Pacifica AWD ('06-present - wifes car),
    2005 Dodge Magnum RT (silver, tow package, full SRT exhaust, heads shaved .020, custom tune by Diablotoona)

Post Thanks / Like

Update

Clogged filter as some have had suggested on previousthread.. Changed fluid and filter and she's back on the road! Thanks to everyone who helped!

Post Thanks / Like

Update

Clogged filter as some have had suggested on previoust hread.. Changed fluid and filter and she's back on the road! Thanks to everyone who helped!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm surprised that you could get such profound and sudden symptoms from that, but great to hear it's running right again. Was there some kind of acute contamination that happened some how, or was it just normal slow wear and it finally reached a tipping point?

Post Thanks / Like
    I know! That's why I thought it was an electronic problem a first. As for the filter, not too sure.. the filter had a lot of slag in it and the fluid was pretty dark. I'm thinking a rebuikd or reman is in my future!
    Tried posting a.pic of the filter internals but doesn't work from my phone.

Post Thanks / Like
    It probably got plugged up with clutch debris. The clutches are probably close to being worn out. Happened to me. Required a reman trans....
    Edit
    The trans pan on mine was dropped and a new filter added and it plugged up pdq, so that is when the decision on the reman install was made.
    Last edited by 2005rtmag; 12-21-2020 at 10:15 AM.
    Thanks doublechaz thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^yup

Post Thanks / Like
    My first episode involved the car SLAMMING into 2nd at WAY to high an RPM. Stopped the car, restarted and had no problem for a few weeks. Today the car acts EXACTLY like yours did.

I also have a TranZformer and shift manually, hard, and downshift regularly so I've been waiting years to see some wear and tear on the car. Perhaps this is finally it.
    An NVH engineer's worst nightmare.

"...the Magnum's ideal demographic: a middle-finger-waving anti-establishmentarian, bad-beer connoisseur...The Magnum puts the "blunt" in "blunt-force trauma." By Dan Neil LATimes.com

SRT Headers/Catback, Tranzformer, R Value CAI, NoESP, Johan Tune, BCR coil overs, Hotchkis Sways, Wilwoods/Brembos, Getrag 3.06, Style, Coolness soon to be supercharged...