Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

My 3.5L EPIC waste of time!!! Why not!

So, I know many of you are gonna say why do all this to a 3.5L ... well that’s a good question. But anyway,,,
    I thought I drop a photo of where I am. I’ve ported the heads, and have the 4.0L cams ready to go in.. and other things

But before I put her back together, I’m gonna dress it up. Here’s a photo getting the top end ready to paint. It’s gonna be gold, a tribute to the early 300 engine colors.

I've also already gotten the timing belt housing chromed. So it’s gonna say a big HELLO when you open the hood instead of the nasty hunk of weathered aluminum. If anyone is interested I’ll post more pics and results as I go along.

Last edited by reefstar; 09-23-2020 at 01:59 PM.
    Likes Jay Z, blue_devil liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Cleaned up combustion chambers ...

Last edited by reefstar; 09-23-2020 at 02:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you increase the displacement of the 3.5L?
    Terry

2005 Magnum RT load runner 2.6: Inertia Motorsports 419 Stroker, Predator Tune: 475rwhp & 465rwtq, Crower Cam, Kook's Headers, 3 inch "Custom" Exhaust, Tunable Induction Intake, NAG1-HTC Tranny, 3.55 Gears, 600hp DSS Half-Shafts, TrueFiber Challenger Hood, Enkei Wheels 18"x9", MT 28.00" / 12.00" x 18" radials on rear, Paneled Rear Side Windows, GoManGo Front Seats, Eibach Springs/Dampers, Wilwood Calipers, Rear Wiper Removed, Billet Technology enhancments.
    2019 Octane Red Charger GT
    1999 Plymouth Prowler (yellow) Prowler Pro #11
    2020 Charger Scat Pack Widebody

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RT NOMAD View Post
    Did you increase the displacement of the 3.5L?
    No. I wouldn’t increase displacement anyway. If anything I would increase compression back to early 1990 3.5L specs.

But I’m not doing anything to the bottom end (right now).
    Last edited by reefstar; 08-17-2020 at 10:10 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Chrome timing belt housing. I need to find a billet idler pulley and billet/chrome tensioner. Any ideas???

Last edited by reefstar; 09-23-2020 at 02:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

4.0L cams installed in the ported heads. Expected to get much further today.... but I forgot to purchase the camshaft thrust seals. Actually, I think I just buried them someplace. Argh!

Last edited by reefstar; 09-23-2020 at 02:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

First mock up assembly. Going pretty smoothly. I’ve got to clean up the wiring and plumbing somehow!

Last edited by reefstar; 09-23-2020 at 02:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Final got the Lower Intake reshaped and cleaned up and port matched both directions.

Now off to Ceramic Coating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by reefstar; 09-23-2020 at 01:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Headers on. FYI, headers go on super easy if you pull your heads, just bolt them on, and install the heads and headers in one piece.

Last edited by reefstar; 09-23-2020 at 02:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

EGR block off! Easy. Just get the kit on eBay for the EGR block off kit for the Talon / Eclipse. Just needed a couple of shorter bolts.

Last edited by reefstar; 09-23-2020 at 02:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dang your build looks sweet.
    2017 Granite Crystal Scat Pack
    My Scat Pack Web Site

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hemi_57 View Post
    Dang your build looks sweet.
    Thanks! Still waiting on a few things to get done... and then on to the torque wrench!

Post Thanks / Like
    gotta ask and don't mean to poop on the v6 idea but...... Why? why a v6? was it a free car so why not? Cheaper insurance? Just a little dazed at the amount of work/$$$ being put in for the outcome to be what? a odd sounding 300 that has a shiny engine bay? On the other hand it will look better then my cars engine bay and you have already put in more work than me on the bay so Kudos there

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Z View Post
    gotta ask and don't mean to poop on the v6 idea but...... Why? why a v6? was it a free car so why not? Cheaper insurance? Just a little dazed at the amount of work/$$$ being put in for the outcome to be what? a odd sounding 300 that has a shiny engine bay? On the other hand it will look better then my cars engine bay and you have already put in more work than me on the bay so Kudos there
    The title says the reason. "Why not?"
    Likes reefstar liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Z View Post
    That’s fair! And thanks for the comment. Seriously! I’d love MORE input!

Here’s the deal... we plan on keeping this car for a long time. No, it wasn’t free. The interior is next!

It’s not a daily driver, since I work from home, so keeping it clean is not a problem.

Sound is relevant. I installed the SRT exhaust for higher flow... not increased volume. I have a 300, so I want the sound to be consistent with what the car was built for. Comfort. (And trust me, it sounds better than you think). The 4.0L cams / headers and the Viper 72mm Throttle Body are going to assist in that!

And... why not? I’ve owned several cars with 3.5L and I expect this will last at least another 100k plus. So why keep boring! Plus the 3.5 is easy to work on. Everything I have done performance wise is “off the shelf”.

Right now I’m just torn about whether or not I want to put the pre ‘96 pistons in, to increase the compression back to 10.4:1.

The upper plenum is getting a lot of work.

I’m not building a drag strip car... so tell me why I need a Hemi? If you’re a motor head... then you should appreciate all motors, not just the ones that need the hoods cut open

Last edited by reefstar; 09-23-2020 at 10:26 AM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast