Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Post Thanks / Like

My 3.5L EPIC waste of time!!! Why not!

Quote Originally Posted by sojiaraggs9000 View Post
    Got me all Jelly with that chrome. Looking good man love the color. Was goging to go black and gold on mine but decied against it just incase I had a leak.

I beleive he was asking about the passenger side of the intake mainfold vs the driver's side. If you're to take out the hold down "obstruction".... how do you ecpect to compensate for the new found flow rate on the driver's side vs the passnager side.
    I’m not sure how that’s relevant. When the valves are closed, all of the flow goes to the passenger side. By removing the hold down, it allows more air to move at a faster rate to the driver side runner when the valves open. Check out my next post. I have the plenum opened.

Edit... wait, I think I understand what you’re asking. Both the drivers side and passenger side go to the same place. The passenger side doesn’t go to the passenger cylinders and vise versa.
    Last edited by reefstar; 11-20-2020 at 06:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, so I did it. Here is the plenum with the top removed. (Obviously the drivers side)
    Now that it’s open, it’s clear to see that cylinders 4, 5, and 6(partially) are getting hosed big time. 5 is almost totally blocked, 4 must be in massive turbulence. There’s some HP here!

That’s got to be better. 4 and 5 for sure, but 1-3 should see less disturbed flow too.

Last edited by reefstar; 11-21-2020 at 06:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Huh. Weird. I can't see from that what the flow path is, but it isn't three from each plenum like I thought.

edit: OK, spotted it. Reality doesn't match the external visual cues when you come at it thinking about the Hemi magnum roast beef V8 intake.
    Last edited by doublechaz; Yesterday at 04:28 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by doublechaz View Post
    Huh. Weird. I can't see from that what the flow path is, but it isn't three from each plenum like I thought.

edit: OK, spotted it. Reality doesn't match the external visual cues when you come at it thinking about the Hemi magnum roast beef V8 intake.
    Ok, here’s how it works. At lower rpms all of the air flow runs through the passenger side of the plenum. That side is split. Upper and lower. 3 cylinders upper, 3 cylinders lower. That is why the cross over tubes are at different heights.

When the engine reaches high rpm, the valves (in the picture) open and allow all the air to bypass the longer passenger side runner, and go directly into the intake manifold.

Notice there are 6 valves, not 3. And that there are 6 cross over tubes.

By using this method, the engine has variable length intake. The longer is better for low in torque, the shorter is for top end Hp. Hence “variable length intake”. (Earlier models actually have a 3rd “path” with Chrysler eventually eliminated)

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I see it now. The two different heights for the long runners made me think it was like the big Magnum log for the 90 degree V8s. I can also now see why this engine produces so much less power than I expected at high rpm. Those valves tip the wrong way, and the runners are too small. You should pick up a bit clearing that thing you were talking about at the beginning of this, but a valve design that opened the right way would help more.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by doublechaz View Post
    Yeah, I see it now. The two different heights for the long runners made me think it was like the big Magnum log for the 90 degree V8s. I can also now see why this engine produces so much less power than I expected at high rpm. Those valves tip the wrong way, and the runners are too small. You should pick up a bit clearing that thing you were talking about at the beginning of this, but a valve design that opened the right way would help more.
    Well, the valves actually tip in a direction that doesn’t shut off the long runners at all. So you are actually are adding MORE air flow.

So since the long runners are always open, when the short runners open they actually scavenge air from the long runners, which makes the short runners act larger than they are. So it’s a bit deceptive. It virtually doubles the potential air, and the long runners immediately become part of the short runners.

If the valves opened the short runners, and then closed off the long runners then there would be a huge tuning issue. By removing the post, I believe the velocity of the air in (at least) 3 of the cylinders will be accelerated, which in turn increases the scavenging as well. Scavenging is highly dependent on velocity and/or volume.

Also I think the post can be removed without cutting the top of the plenum off like I did.

I believe the horsepower is there.... I’m gonna find it! LOL
    Last edited by reefstar; Today at 11:05 AM.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789