Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Back in the day... there was a guy in Cali that built inline 6 banger GM engines. His moto was "6=8".

IIRC - it was Clifford Research.
    Update - He is still in business as Clifford Performance. He must doing something right as I am 78 and I first heard about him in my 20's.
    Last edited by hemi_57; 09-23-2020 at 12:16 PM.
    2017 Granite Crystal Scat Pack
    My Scat Pack Web Site
    Likes tf34mech, Ultimagic5, reefstar liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by reefstar View Post
    That’s fair! And thanks for the comment. Seriously! I’d love MORE input!

Here’s the deal... we plan on keeping this car for a long time. No, it wasn’t free. The interior is next!

It’s not a daily driver, since I work from home, so keeping it clean is not a problem.

Sound is relevant. I installed the SRT exhaust for higher flow... not increased volume. I have a 300, so I want the sound to be consistent with what the car was built for. Comfort. (And trust me, it sounds better than you think). The 4.0L cams / headers and the Viper 72mm Throttle Body are going to assist in that!

And... why not? I’ve owned several cars with 3.5L and I expect this will last at least another 100k plus. So why keep boring! Plus the 3.5 is easy to work on. Everything I have done performance wise is “off the shelf”.

Right now I’m just torn about whether or not I want to put the pre ‘96 pistons in, to increase the compression back to 10.4:1.

The upper plenum is getting a lot of work.

I’m not building a drag strip car... so tell me why I need a Hemi? If you’re a motor head... then you should appreciate all motors, not just the ones that need the hoods cut open

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    i will say i'm not really a motor head that appreciates all. Def not saying I don't appreciate what you've done & are doing but I know the premise behind my build was POWER & old school v8 thumping sound. I don't have the funds for why not but maybe you do lol. Have you ever owned a modern day hemi?
    Likes reefstar liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Z View Post
    i will say i'm not really a motor head that appreciates all. Def not saying I don't appreciate what you've done & are doing but I know the premise behind my build was POWER & old school v8 thumping sound. I don't have the funds for why not but maybe you do lol. Have you ever owned a modern day hemi?
    Have I ever owned a modern day Hemi?

I’ll do you one better, my brother in law was the first certified Viper Tech in California. So, I’m very aware of Power. And I currently do own a Hemi in my truck. Great motor!

Do you know that one of Dodge’s biggest customer complaints about the Viper was “extreme rear tire wear”.

Look, the amount of work I have done so far is mostly my own elbow grease. It’s not about $$$. It’s about building something I’ve wanted to do since my first 1993 Eagle Vision TSi.

So it’s not about the sound of a Hemi, or even the power. To this day, I think one of the BEST sounding factory engines is the early 2000’s Infinity FX accelerating under load. There’s something “formula” about it. (It’s also a 3.5L)

Also, keep in mind the entire muffler system is still intact. Just improved flow. So sound is not my goal.

Also, as I said, it’s a 300 (not challenger or charger) so “thumping” isn’t my goal here.

Likes Jay Z liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Eventually, this goes here! 1960 Chrysler 300 emblem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Because it's there.
    Likes tf34mech, reefstar liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by reefstar View Post
    Eventually, this goes here! 1960 Chrysler 300 emblem.

That'll be like 40% covered by the plenum won't it?

Also good find on the EGR block off plate...I'll keep that in mind, what are you going to use to block off the end on the intake rear?

I also agree about the nissan\infiniti 3.5, fiance's car is a 2010 EX35 with it and it does indeed sound zippy ... I'd love to put a exhaust system on there but...it's the wife's not mine!My 3.5L EPIC waste of time!!!  Why not!
    Last edited by Ultimagic5; 09-23-2020 at 04:25 PM.
    Likes reefstar liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultimagic5 View Post

Also good find on the EGR block off plate...I'll keep that in mind, what are you going to use to block off the end on the intake rear?
    First, the hole in the rear of the intake is simple. If it’s permanent, just epoxy it closed. Put some tape on the inside, mix and then fill it from the outside. Once it’s set up, remove the tape. If you want temporary or able to be put back to stock, use a rubber expansion and plug.

As far as the upper plenum goes, I’m making changes to it to help show off the head better.

Right now I’m finding a place to relocate the MAP sensor to. That itself will make a big difference. I think I have it figured out.

Post Thanks / Like
    understand completely. You're not chasing something unrealistic, just enjoying the a new build. The hemi in the truck help me understand lol. Just making sure you're not like a FRS guy that works for me lol. Carry on i'll be coming back for the sexy piks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Z View Post
    understand completely. You're not chasing something unrealistic, just enjoying the a new build. The hemi in the truck help me understand lol. Just making sure you're not like a FRS guy that works for me lol. Carry on i'll be coming back for the sexy piks
    No, not chasing anything. My goal is do what I can, and remain naturally aspirated.

Maybe I’ll run across a few things other people will want to do. It’s really not all that hard, especially if you’re not in a time crunch.

The porting was the most expensive part, but there was no way I was gonna put the heads back on without cleaning them up first.

I have a second set of heads being done, (since it was cheaper to buy the 4.0 cams with the heads (go figure)) so if anyone is interested, hit me up. They will work on either the 3.5 or 4.0. I’d sell them outright or do an exchange.

Post Thanks / Like

My 3.5L EPIC waste of time!!! Why not!

Ok, now that I don’t need the EGR tube... I think that’s a good place to move the MAP sensor to!!! Just need to scribe it in and epoxy it all sealed.

Now I’ve got a hole to fill LOL.

Last edited by reefstar; 09-23-2020 at 09:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, the basic reshaping is done... go compare it to yours!

Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely NOT a waste of time! The automotive world is all about expression and this looks like a well done task with attention to detail and that alone is way cool. I'm a big lover of 6cyl engines and the aforementioned Clifford Research. There was a guy at the Chrysler-Plymouth dealer I worked at right out of high school that had a Dodge Dart Swinger with the 225 slant six, headers, clifford intake, cam, Holley 4bbl and some port/polish head work. It sounded like the angriest bumble bee ever but that thing would scream! He made believers out of a lot of guys. Yeah he couldve ditched the 225 for a 340 but what he did was different, cool and ya gotta respect that.

I have the Pentastar 3.6 in my 200S vert with some very mild mods but I love the power, the sound and that fact its so much fun and still knocks down almost 30mpg highway works for me in a big way. It feels like the best blend of useable power and everyday efficiency, all in a fun-to-drive pkg. Racing is cool if thats your thing but there are a lot of trade-offs if you street drive the car a lot. I had a Hemi Magnum and it was a cool car. It sounded great, lots of comfort room and real world useable space but the cost at the pump got old real quick. Yes, it would romp hard on the loud pedal but I dont drag race or go to the track save for the maybe once a year Laps for Charity thing.

I look forward to your finished product and I think you'll get a lot of satisfaction out of driving something you put so much work into. The Chrysler badge on the valve cover is a nice touch. I opted for hydro-dipping my engine cover. The fan where the filter access plug used to be is just one of those "turbonator" mpg intake boosters and it isnt powered but I just thought it would look cool vs the flat plug.
    IMG_8056.jpg
    Likes tf34mech, reefstar liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghosthawk300 View Post
    Definitely NOT a waste of time! The automotive world is all about expression and this looks like a well done task with attention to detail and that alone is way cool. I'm a big lover of 6cyl engines and the aforementioned Clifford Research. There was a guy at the Chrysler-Plymouth dealer I worked at right out of high school that had a Dodge Dart Swinger with the 225 slant six, headers, clifford intake, cam, Holley 4bbl and some port/polish head work. It sounded like the angriest bumble bee ever but that thing would scream! He made believers out of a lot of guys. Yeah he couldve ditched the 225 for a 340 but what he did was different, cool and ya gotta respect that.

I have the Pentastar 3.6 in my 200S vert with some very mild mods but I love the power, the sound and that fact its so much fun and still knocks down almost 30mpg highway works for me in a big way. It feels like the best blend of useable power and everyday efficiency, all in a fun-to-drive pkg. Racing is cool if thats your thing but there are a lot of trade-offs if you street drive the car a lot. I had a Hemi Magnum and it was a cool car. It sounded great, lots of comfort room and real world useable space but the cost at the pump got old real quick. Yes, it would romp hard on the loud pedal but I dont drag race or go to the track save for the maybe once a year Laps for Charity thing.

I look forward to your finished product and I think you'll get a lot of satisfaction out of driving something you put so much work into. The Chrysler badge on the valve cover is a nice touch. I opted for hydro-dipping my engine cover. The fan where the filter access plug used to be is just one of those "turbonator" mpg intake boosters and it isnt powered but I just thought it would look cool vs the flat plug.
    IMG_8056.jpg
    That looks awesome! Love the color and the fiber look?

Thanks for the comments!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultimagic5 View Post

I also agree about the nissan\infiniti 3.5, fiance's car is a 2010 EX35 with it and it does indeed sound zippy ... I'd love to put a exhaust system on there but...it's the wife's not mine!My 3.5L EPIC waste of time!!!  Why not!
    I don’t have the lower plenum installed so I don’t have the exact location... but this is what should show when the plenum is on. Probably a bit more since it will be higher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok I have 2 questions.

1) since I am installing a Viper Throttle Body, is it ok for me to use the viper logo. My thought is putting it on the face of the throttle body itself, very subtly. Like a flat black logo, on a gloss black paint.

2) since Mopar already calls the 3.5 the “3.5 High Output”, what can I put on top of the plenum to show it’s not just a normal 3.5.

Any suggestions???

(Patiently waiting for parts...LOL)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast