Post Thanks / Like

Cabin Exhaust smell on startup

Over the last couple years, I’ve noticed an exhaust smell in the cabin when I start the car with the AC fan on. If I have the knob Off during start, then wait to turn the AC fan on, I don’t smell anything. I’m sure I’ve got a seal bad somewhere, but I’m not sure where to start. Does anyone know where this would be coming from?

2007 Charger R/T, Supercharged
    SCOTT57RT
    2007 RT Charger 5.7L - Black Crystal Pearl
    Mods: DiabloSport Predator - InertiaTuned, MagnaFlow CAT Back Exhaust, JBA High Flow Cats, JBA Headers, 185Tstat, 85mm CNC Throttle Body, 6psi-P1SC Procharger Supercharger, Blown Spartan Cam, 20x9 FR SRT8 Challenger Wheels/Nitto555G2, Mygig, BC Racing Coilovers, Willwood Brakes&Rotors, 3.06 Getrag

Post Thanks / Like
    Bump. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Scat Pack Forums

Post Thanks / Like
    You could with a helper. Lift car up enough to get at exhaust. Start engine and at idle- have helper cover exhaust end and you get under car and listen for hiss.
    Thanks SCOTT57RT thanked for this post
    Likes SCOTT57RT liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemihackman View Post
    You could with a helper. Lift car up enough to get at exhaust. Start engine and at idle- have helper cover exhaust end and you get under car and listen for hiss.
    So you’re saying I’ve got an exhaust leak and my AC is pulling it in. I guess since I’m smelling it on startup, it’s leaking then sealing up once gets hot??would that be my headers most likely since that’s in the engine bay??

Post Thanks / Like
    I just installed a Cabin Air filter box in mine because of the way smells and dust kept entering the car. Not saying to go that route and you might actually have one but most of the 1st gens came from the factory without one. Real pain in the ass to install also. lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SCOTT57RT View Post
    So you’re saying I’ve got an exhaust leak and my AC is pulling it in. I guess since I’m smelling it on startup, it’s leaking then sealing up once gets hot??would that be my headers most likely since that’s in the engine bay??

We would recommend checking the gasket between the head and the headers and then the connection between the headers and the rest of the exhaust first!