Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Give me a "Good, Bad and Ugly" comparison on these cars...

I'm getting the hell out of my '13 Dodge Dart 1.4 turbo (just replaced the engine and I just don't trust the car anymore) so I'm plotting my next vehicle. Here's the candidates:

'08-10 Dodge Charger R/T (more HP and nicer interior than previous years)
    '06-10 Dodge Charger SRT-8
    '08 Dodge Magnum R/T (same reasons as the Charger R/T)
    '06-08 Dodge Magnum SRT-8

Now what major differences are between the R/T and SRT-8 (besides the obvious power output)? Is one more reliable than the other? What is unreliable on both versions? Do both have the famous "front suspension" issues? What's the best MPG numbers I can expect out of each of them (I get it...it's a V8 so not great)?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    If it were me , I’d go with the 6.1 all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Cuda SRT8 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    SRT 8 for the win.

Can you say options. But, do your homework. Carfax, dealer vin check print out, mechanic inspection if you can't do it yourself.

Sent via Tapatalk
    2017 Granite Crystal Scat Pack
    My Scat Pack Web Site

Post Thanks / Like
    Not to mention resale value is more than double that of a 5.7.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mag srt is my vote

Sent from my iPhone using Scat Pack Forums
    Likes Tikibeast, ronan978 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ronan978 View Post
    Not to mention resale value is more than double that of a 5.7.

2x... That's debatable.

But, I did get $5k more my 10 Challenger R/T than I did for my 14 Cadillac ATS 2.0 turbo when I bought my Scat.

Sent via Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hemi_57 View Post
    2x... That's debatable.

But, I did get $5k more my 10 Challenger R/T than I did for my 14 Cadillac ATS 2.0 turbo when I bought my Scat.

Sent via Tapatalk
    I’ve been looking at 5.7 magnums and finding them with around 70k for about 6k$. I can’t find an MSRT with similar mileage for less than 14k$.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ronan978 View Post
    I’ve been looking at 5.7 magnums and finding them with around 70k for about 6k$. I can’t find an MSRT with similar mileage for less than 14k$.

Did not mean to say that you couldn't find them at 2x.... But, all things being equal are worth it?.

Lots of variables. The big one for me is they are orphans. Parts are going to hard to come by soon. Mechanical parts not so much as exterior/interior parts.

Sent via Tapatalk
    Last edited by hemi_57; 05-12-2019 at 11:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hemi_57 View Post
    Did not mean to say that you couldn't find themat 2x.... But, all things being equal are worth it?.

Lots of variables. The big one for me is they are orphans. Parts are going to hard to come by soon. Mechanical parts not so much as exterior/interior parts.

Sent via Tapatalk
    This and going with the 08 magnum makes that even more so as far as the new front end goes. As nice as the 08s look that front was a one year only thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not knocking it as I have even looked at couple for project cars. I have been down the orphan road. PT Cruiser comes to mind.

Old muscle cars.... Monte Carlo SS.

Sent via Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brodizzle83 View Post
    Now what major differences are between the R/T and SRT-8 (besides the obvious power output)? Is one more reliable than the other? What is unreliable on both versions? Do both have the famous "front suspension" issues? What's the best MPG numbers I can expect out of each of them (I get it...it's a V8 so not great)?
    SRT8 goodies:
    * You mentioned power output, also the SRT8 6.1 has no MDS (cylinder deactivation) which some care for, some don't..
    * Brembo 4 piston brakes front/rear with 14.1" rotors, way better braking than the R/T
    * Easy upgrade to Hellcat 6 piston front calipers/15.4" rotors, direct bolt-on (R/T requires knuckle and hub swap for either Brembo setup)
    * Lightweight forged 20x9" wheels
    * Front suspension parts - some are stronger; solid bushings (vs. gapped) in the tension struts seem to hold up longer
    * MPG on the SRT8 seems to average around 14-16 mpg city, 19-20 highway (my experience, anyway)
    * Nicer seats - racing-style with side bolsters
    * Better appearance (IMO) though bumper cover replacements are $$$ and the fronts are low/prone to damage on curbs, parking blocks

I'm sure I left out plenty..

Not much I could say I would consider "unreliable" on either model though; you'll see some discussion in the forums about the first few years of 5.7's dropping valve seats unexpectedly if they've ever been ran a little hot. It's a pretty fiercely debated topic and I don't mean to crank it back up in this thread, just be aware; go read the multiple threads about it and make up your own mind.

Some of the 5.7 and 6.1 models suffer from a fuel tank defect that can cause the car to stall after a fill-up. This is widely known and after years of owners battling with Chrysler they have extended the warranty on the tank to lifetime. If the vehicle exhibits the behavior, take it in for free tank replacement.

There's a service bulletin out on the fan blades; they can come apart and damage the radiator. If your car is covered they'll replace the blades (not the whole assembly) for free. Easy to check with them to see if your particular car is affected and have it done before they come apart.

And 100% what Ronan said - I'd go 6.1 all day. Have owned 3 so far - 2006 300C SRT8, 2006 Magnum SRT8 (wife's car mainly), and still have my 3rd one, a super low mile 2006 300C SRT8. LOVE IT

Richard
    06 Silverado ISS / 06 Silverado SS / 06 300C SRT8
    Likes Tikibeast, ronan978 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    go with the 08 charger or magnum srt. since that way you get best of both worlds, the better interior and updated radio compared to the previous years and the 6.1 engine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Many variables involved: mileage, budget, use etc. Is it going to be a daily driver? I bought a 06 magnum RT, 1 owner with 99k for $5k. It suits me perfectly for a daily driver and was not molested. I looked at some magnum SRTs and most had higher mileage, were molested and still twice as much with multiple owners. It all comes down to what you want to spend and what kind of reliability you want. I for one won’t buy one with 140+ on the clock and numerous performance upgrades and owners for twice the money. I want reliability so I can get to work and still have a little fun getting there. It all comes down to what you want, how you plan to use your car and what you will be happy with. Go out test drive a few and see what you are willing to spend for the different models. Any of them would be a good choice if you get a good deal on it. Good luck!
    Last edited by Reddobie; 05-13-2019 at 04:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    As others have said, it definitely comes down to the actual candidates you are looking for. Was it well cared for, mileage, options, etc can all lead to a wide swing in prices. It all depends on what your budge would be. Given that, here are some pros/cons that I see from the generic grouping. Then it really depends on what you prioritize higher in your wants/needs list.

5.7 vs 6.1
    i have an SRT8 6.1. I love the power, and if you can afford it I'd say go with that. The earlier 5.7 can have head problems, dropped valves if they overheat. I believe those were corrected mid-08, but I'm not sure. I don't believe that the 6.1 had any issues.

I love the handling of my SRT. I haven't modified my suspension at all, jsut replacements. The common problems in the front affect both cars.

Magnum

If you really want a Magnum, as stated earlier the 08 is damn near a unicorn (especially so for the SRT8). The front clip was a half year only, so replacement front end parts (hood, fenders, bumpers, lights) new are relatively non existent. The 05-07 is much more common. But, SRT8 specific parts are also hard to come by for the 05-07. Only ~3300 of them were made during 06-08, so the SRT specific parts (front bumper, grilles, rear bumper, rear bumper trim panel) are also non existent new. More to find used, but not by a lot.

Updgraded Electronics

Debatable if the interior in the 08+ is nicer, outside of the upgraded electronics and stereo. If that's what you are after, go 08+.

If I were trying to choose between the 4 you posted, my search would be either for 06-07 Magnum SRT8 or an 08+ Charger SRT8.
    - Brian T.
    "Pam the Demon Wagon" 2006 Magnum SRT

| web: Michael Brian Studios | instagram: @MichaelBrianStudios |
    Thanks Flyloops thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I've only ever had a 5.7 300C but man if I could have gotten an Srt8 I would have lol. It's just such a better starting point for performance mods.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    2005 Brilliant Black 300C
    Qtp dual oval cutouts, LegMaker True V2 CAI
    ZAuto Tranzformer, Diablo Trinity 93 canned tune, Hoosier Dr2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast