Post Thanks / Like

Differential Leak - Diff is covered in fluid

So on Tuesday I smelled diff fluid when I came out to my car after eating lunch. Sure enough about a half dollar sized spot on the ground. It has leaked every day since then. I finally got a chance to get under it tonight, and the entire diff is coated with fluid or grime from dirt collecting where there was at one point fluid. Front to back and top to bottom on the right side. The left side top is relatively clean.

I read a post about how going from a cold car to immediately on the highway can cause pressure to build up faster than the vent can release the pressure; causing fluid to puke out of the vent. This week I have been at a facility that is less than 20 seconds from the highway so that exact scenario has presented itself all week. It has also been colder than normal. I changed the diff fluid about 6 months ago with Redline 75-140. I didn't measure I just filled it up until it was full.

My question is: Those that have experienced this, how much fluid did you lose? And does it normally follow the pattern of being predominately on the right side of the diff?

From what I can tell, there isn't any sling pattern under there, and the top of the pumpkin being wet also leads me to believe it's the vent. But there is just so much fluid. Tomorrow morning I am going to clean it off with brake cleaner and repeat the drive to see if I can get some insight on where it is coming from.
    Last edited by dark_knight; 01-11-2019 at 06:25 PM.
    Frankintake/srt8 catback/longtubes/predator 93/SP sway bars/KW v2 coilovers/Bwoody endlinks/catch can/front strut brace/every single electrical sensor at some point
    13.56 @ 102

Post Thanks / Like
    sounds like the top vent, if you have too much fluid and under certain circumstances it will puke.

PB ET 14.02 at CamaroFest 5 totally stock
    PB RT Sportsman tree .003 at Challengerfest 3, PB RT pro tree .019 at MSHS VMP 5/16
    PB 0-60 3.24 MIR Raceway Drag Radials 6/18

PB 0-60 4.40 Street Tires on the street Calabash 10/14

PB 60' 1.472 @ CF9 4/18
    PB ET 1/8 6.911 @ CF9 4/18
    PB MPH 1/8 100.17 @ Atco 11/18
    PB ET 10.857 @ CF9 4/18

PB MPH 127.29 @ Atco 11/18

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CruzKing View Post
    sounds like the top vent, if you have too much fluid and under certain circumstances it will puke.
    I had the same issue. Dropped the fluid a little and fixed the problem.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Has the oil been changed recently? Mine had a strange (to me) spec for refill. It was supposed to be filled to 3/16" below the edge of the fill hole. I filled it flush as usual and it threw up all over itself. Once I lowered it, it was fine.
    2005 Dodge Magnum RT.
    12/2016 - Inertia big valve heads, Eagle intake, non-MDS lifters, Spartan Plus cam, Shorty headers. 390 RWHP, 390 RWTQ. (Work by Inertia)
    01/2017 - Bilstein shocks, SLP 25% underdrive pulley. s/b 400 RWHP, 400 RWTQ now. (Work by me)
    10/2017 - Replaced engine mounts with 392SRT manual transmission, added police oil cooler, additional PS and Trans coolers, Mishimoto radiator. (Work by me)
    10/2017 - Replaced Torque Converter with FTI 3,200RPM, Installed 3.06:1 Getrag kit, one piece Al DSS DS, Billy Boat 3" Exh.
    11/2017 - Wilwood brakes with 15" front brakes. (Work by me)

Post Thanks / Like
    UPDATE: I cleaned it off real good and after two days of driving both on and off the highway. Dry as a bone. What is weird is that I couldn't feel any fluid dipping my finger in the fill hole. I don't know if I want to put more in there or ride it out for a little while.

Post Thanks / Like
    Read my post above again. The spec for my OEM diff 2005 RT is 3/16" below the fill.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like I'd fill back up to 3/16 below the fill hole. Good info, I'll be changing mine son.
    Adaptive Craving Control-by Hal9000 modification strictly prohibited
    FI IV.5, Solo cat backs, 180 thermo, Catch Can, DS tuner, 383 Stroker/SRT heads,headers and mids,, Tranny cooler with fan control, built tranny/flex plate/4K conv,09 Chally rear with Quaife posi. Pedders Track II, coil overs, Hodgkiss sways, BWoody links, 20" Jacks N Five with Nitto Invo's, Custom brakes by TCE. Bling by BT.
    Just a grocery getter!