Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone run into this "engine overspeed" problem?

My car is an '05 5.7 300, and I've been having a problem with the trans coming outta gear when the car gets over 6100 rpm. It sets the code p0219 -- engine overspeed. Service manual says it's doing this on purpose -- according to it, when the tcm sees the engine rpm exceed redline + 500 (in the 5.7, that's 5600+500 so 6100rpm) it throws it in neutral because it thinks something is broken. So the question is... how do I get it to let me take it over 6100? Anyone else have this problem? I'm planning on letting it shift at 6k when I get heads on it, but even now the car has 3.91 gears and every time i floor it on the street under 60 the wheels break loose the rpms just ring out to 6100 and the car comes out of gear. It gets dangerous on the highway, lol..
    Here's some stuff from the service manual with more detail:

Setting conditions:
    Engine running; transmission in gear, valid engine speed message received at least once, CAN Bus Circuit and Engine CAN Message Missing not active, and the TCM detected the engine speed was more the calibrated limit. The TCM monitors the engine speed over the CAN bus. If the engine speed is greater than a calibrated limit (see table), the TCM assumes that either the information from the PCM is incorrect or that a major mechanical problem exist. Once the DTC is set, the TCM will position the transmission gear into neutral to protect the engine and transmission from damage. The transmission will remain in neutral and will not be evaluated by the TCM until the ignition is cycled.

Table of calibrated Limits:
    Engine Overspeed Limit (If Equipped)
    3.0 L (Diesel) 4350 + 800 rpm
    3.5 L 6400 + 500 rpm
    3.7 L 6000 + 500 rpm
    4.0 L 6000 + 500 rpm
    5.7 L 5600 + 500 rpm
    6.1L 6200 + 500 rpm

If anyone has q's or knows anything let me know, thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Happened to me a few times when i floor it on wet pavement. Maybe increasing rev limit and/or shift points with predator will fix it?
    Likes SheepBrusco300c liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Happened to me at the drag strip. Very embarrassing.

I raised my rev limiter to the highest setting. Hasn't done it since.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Scat Pack Forums mobile app
    2006 Dodge Charger Daytona TorRed #1354, SRT Heads/Intake - ARH Long Tubes - Spartan Plus Cam - Magnaflow - 3.06 Getrag
    Watch SaabKyle review my old Charger Scat Pack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6OA...ezVy7g&index=3

I detail cars in the Virginia Beach/Norfolk area! 757-435-4027

Likes SheepBrusco300c liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup it's the curse of the factory TCM on the 05' cars. We can't change the shift points. Either need to swap TCM with 06'+, a MOPAR TCM or aftermarket. Same thing is an issue with me(also a 05' 300C). I raised the rev limiter to take advantage of my cam, heads and 6.1 manifold swap but kept going into limp mode due to not being able to raise shift points. Plan is to just grab a 06+ TCM maybe but most likely wil go with either the MOPAR TCM or HEMITUNER TCM.
    Likes Beach Goat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    You have to raise the limiter in the TCM. It has to be lower than the engine fuel cutoff. Theres a 200 rpm difference between the engine and tcm rev limit. Usually the tcm provides the rev limit and if it goes over and has to use the engine rev limit it goes into limp mode and sets a code.

Why can't you tune shift points in an '05? It uses a EGS52 tcm, same as '06. hptuners says their crap can tune it. It has f'ed up every EGS52 I've tried to tune with it, but there are a few people saying they tuned theirs with no problems.

Just google EGS52 tuning, hptuners made a big announcement in 2015(?) that you can tune it and (almost) every dodge related website reposted it. I can't get mine to tune and have been in contact with support and their engineers have no clue.

Oh and I can't get any of the six spares I have to take a tune from hptuners either, BUT I can tune an EGS53 which is what a MTCM is. I haven't found those (EGS53) in any '06's either, I got a few out of '08's, haven't seen any '07 cars.

Just for reference that I'm not talking out of my ass, I've diligently tried to tune an EGS52 see the pic below. Based off hptuners claim that there stuff can tune it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SheepBrusco300c View Post
    now the car has 3.91 gears and every time i floor it on the street under 60 the wheels break loose the rpms just ring out to 6100 and the car comes out of gear. It gets dangerous on the highway, lol..

If anyone has q's or knows anything let me know, thanks
    Is it tuned for that gear ratio? If not then thats the problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats not the issue, he's going past the rev limit when the tires are spinning. Ive done it myself quite a few times.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Tune it for the new gear ratio and that problem will go away. It's turning more rpm at the same mph with the different gears.
    Or the transmission is actually slipping.
    Or increase the limp offset in the tune.
    It's an easy problem to fix.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay727 View Post
    Tune it for the new gear ratio and that problem will go away. It's turning more rpm at the same mph with the different gears.
    Or the transmission is actually slipping.
    Or increase the limp offset in the tune.
    It's an easy problem to fix.
    None of this is accurate. The engine would immediately go into limp mode if the gear ratio wasn't programmed right....it wouldn't even get up enough rpm to go over the limiter. The transmission isn't slipping either.

It's a fault with the lazy shifting perameters. The computer commands the shift, but by the time the shift is actually complete the engine has over revved and goes into limp mode. Simple as that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Scat Pack Forums mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    This problem was encountered / discussed frequently in the early days (countless posts on here about rpm limp mode). Using a hand held (Diablosport for example), simply raise the REV limiter another 500rpm to create some more headroom (on all TCMs there is a 6700rpm global limiter).
    Last edited by Hemissary; 01-02-2019 at 11:06 AM.
    2005 Magnum RT---Viper Venom Red----440ci Aluminum block----Short Runner Valve Intake--410mm BAER 6S Monoblock Extreme--Eibach Multi-Pro 2

Custom--Grille Work--Hood--Headlights--Side View Mirrors--Rear Spoiler--Rear Diffuser--SRV Control System--Turbine Wheels

Likes Beach Goat, SheepBrusco300c liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    It's an easy problem to fix if you have the tools to fix it.

This is where the 6100 rpm limit comes from.

I can't always explain things that I understand. These are my notes that I found important, and below them is the link from where I found them.

See a lot of misinformation out there. This should clarify how the PCM and TCMs work together, a lot of guys know this but may not have mentioned it formally.

The PCM has two rpm limits, and they are 100% engine rpm limits.

RPM Limit Drive - this is how far the engine can rev before fuel and spark cutout will happen. If you have your settings right (read on) you WILL NOT go into limp mode for hitting this limit, you will simply feel the engine nose over and stop making power

RPM Limit P/N - like it says, engine rpm limit when not in gear. Dodge liked the idea of not letting 16 year olds free rev the motor to a valve bending RPM. I like to keep this stock or maybe mid 4,000s rpms.

Now, this is where it gets wacky. There is also a TCM rev limit, completely outside the PCM, that is the absolute max the transmission and motor are allowed to go. If you get to this point, YOU WILL GO INTO LIMP MODE and throw a few codes. Transmission will likely be locked to just second gear until you park, cycle the key on and off, or clear the codes with a scanner. Think of this limit as the end game limit, there is no soft limiter, no fuel cut, no spark cut, just a pure "no more transmission at all" limit, literally throws the trans into neutral at the instant you hit this limit.

The only way as of today to get a higher than stock TCM Rev limit (limits layed out below) is to buy an aftermarket one or get your stock one reprogrammed by the few who have cracked the code.

Factory TCM (5.7/SRT8) - commands shifts at 5800 or so, Rev limit is 6700
    Mopar TCM - commands shifts at 6200, rev limit stock at 6700

Programmers - Paramount, Eurocharged, AJ Hemituner (google him and you will find his info) - they can program any shift/rev limit combo you want.

Diablo - has figured most of this out, except raising the TCM rev limit. They offer "raised" shift points option that adds about 200rpms to whatever TCM you have, but I have hit the MTCM 6700 limit and gone into limp mode, so beware.

Here is how it all meshes together, you ALWAYS want your shifts to be completed around 100-150rpms BEFORE the TCM rev limit, and should have your PCM RPM Limit in Drive set here (6600 for a factory or MTCM, or like me I have a 7200 limit Paramount and have my RPM Limit in Drive set to 7,000). You want to hit the PCM rev limit before you hit the TCM rev limit to avoid limp mode. Moderate powered cars with a factory-ish transmission will complete shifts within 250-350 rpms, so for example the MTCM tends to finish up shifts around 6450-6500 rpms when it starts the commanded 6200 shift on a factory transmission. My Paramount TCM + SHR transmission even at 800whp commands a 6500 shift and its done before 6600, so I have room to play.

Basic formula for the not so gifted after reading the above:

Decide your TCM rev limit based on the above(either 6700 or something you had made custom); set your RPM Limit in Drive 100rpms before this.

Where this plays into the new Hellcat RPM limit everyone was hammering about at 6200, was a PCM based rpm limit, that appears to now have been found.

Found here:
    NGC Rev and Shift RPMs Explained

IMO HPTuners sucks for transmission tuning, if you read their "big announcement" about being able to tune the EGS52 and EGS53 TCM's it says they don't support some older operating systems so their software automatically downloads the updated operating system to your TCM.
    The problem I have is there "new OS" is corrupt because it will write it to the TCM, then you can't write to it again (why I have a stack of TCM's to play with). My point: If HPtuners actually worked you could get rid of the shift laziness, raise your TCM rev limiter, and eliminate this problem.

I never used DS or anything else, but afaik it's more user friendly. Like rev limiter raise or lower. Shift firmness raise or lower. Hptuners doesn't point you in any direction, but once you find your way around it you can do almost anything with it. (and then good luck actually writing it to the TCM)
    Thanks Beach Goat, SheepBrusco300c thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, thanks for all the info. I do have the car tuned for the 3.91s, and this problem would happen sometimes before i installed those. That screenshot of the software you posted looks like exactly what I need to get into and change.. is that screenshot from hptuners software? and will I need to find an EGS53 tcm to be able to change that? All I've got is a diablo handheld i2, and it sucks haha.. i've run into problems with it trying to tune for the gears. It did have a setting though for the pcm drive and P/N rev limits, but I'm not sure that messing with those is gonna help me. It seems like what I need to change is that "limp offset" setting of 500rpm in that screenshot you posted so that I can move that limit up from 6100, I havent ever gotten the car up to the 6700 tcm limit it's talking about in your notes. If I could set the limp offset to, say, 1000, I'd think Id be okay because the car wont ever hit 6600. How would you recommend trying to get this done if Hp tuners is sketchy with the EGS52's?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SheepBrusco300c View Post
    Hey, thanks for all the info. I do have the car tuned for the 3.91s, and this problem would happen sometimes before i installed those. That screenshot of the software you posted looks like exactly what I need to get into and change.. is that screenshot from hptuners software? and will I need to find an EGS53 tcm to be able to change that? All I've got is a diablo handheld i2, and it sucks haha.. i've run into problems with it trying to tune for the gears. It did have a setting though for the pcm drive and P/N rev limits, but I'm not sure that messing with those is gonna help me. It seems like what I need to change is that "limp offset" setting of 500rpm in that screenshot you posted so that I can move that limit up from 6100, I havent ever gotten the car up to the 6700 tcm limit it's talking about in your notes. If I could set the limp offset to, say, 1000, I'd think Id be okay because the car wont ever hit 6600. How would you recommend trying to get this done if Hp tuners is sketchy with the EGS52's?
    Yes that is from HPTuners.

Not sure what to tell you right now. I tried a factory EGS53, I even tuned it for firmer shifts but it felt weird. Shifts weren't more firm. By factory I mean one out of another car, the MTCM is an EGS53 also but is programmed to be more universal. I don't trust the factory 53 because it has some extra tables that the 52 doesn't have, and I know from previous tuning other things that you only see what theres a parameter for. Meaning there may be differences in one tcm from the other but if it's not written into the program you read it with you simply don't see it.

I've seen people say they tune their EGS52 with no problems. I have several that won't tune in the car. I just built a bench top TCM programmer and can tune any EGS52 on the bench, but I have a feeling it has to go through the PCM also, because there are a few transmission things in it. I just need to tune one on the bench and install it and see what happens.

Now I have been in contact with HPTuners engineers regarding my not being able to tune my EGS52 in the car. It seems like I can tune any EGS52 one time and after that it gives an error and won't tune.
    They got back with me today saying:
    FCA is known to have several part numbers available for similar/same model year vehicles running the same engine/trans/etc and they are not interchangable.
    (Anyone know what FCA is? )

What I don't understand is what I have seen visiting several junkyards and looking at several, even buying a few of these TCM's. There sure don't seem to be a lot of differences. Of the 13 I have, four of them have the same numbers as my original. And I've seen many that are the same per year and engine model. I honestly feel hptuners jumped the gun saying they can tune EGS52's (on Sept 21, 2015). Seems they haven't cracked the code on what I'm doing, and I'm only trying to tune a TCM found in '06 Magnums, 300's and Chargers. Seems it would be a common one. My point is, HPTuners is still sketchy but they're working with me. It will remain sketchy until I can plug it into my car and make a change, write it and it works.

Your only other option is to send it out and have someone tune it for you. Thats hard to swallow seeing how it's about the same price (if I remember correctly) to do that as it is to by HPTuners and be able to tune the engine also, use it as a diagnostic scanner on almost anything, etc.

Hope this help, maybe I'm rambling a bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Once again...

With the Diablsport; go to Modify Parameters --> REV Limiter in Drive --> raise the rpm another 500rpm (50rpm increments).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay727 View Post
    Yes that is from HPTuners. (Anyone know what FCA is? )
    Fiat Chrysler Automobiles N.V.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast