Post Thanks / Like

Anyone run into this "engine overspeed" problem?

My car is an '05 5.7 300, and I've been having a problem with the trans coming outta gear when the car gets over 6100 rpm. It sets the code p0219 -- engine overspeed. Service manual says it's doing this on purpose -- according to it, when the tcm sees the engine rpm exceed redline + 500 (in the 5.7, that's 5600+500 so 6100rpm) it throws it in neutral because it thinks something is broken. So the question is... how do I get it to let me take it over 6100? Anyone else have this problem? I'm planning on letting it shift at 6k when I get heads on it, but even now the car has 3.91 gears and every time i floor it on the street under 60 the wheels break loose the rpms just ring out to 6100 and the car comes out of gear. It gets dangerous on the highway, lol..
    Here's some stuff from the service manual with more detail:

Setting conditions:
    Engine running; transmission in gear, valid engine speed message received at least once, CAN Bus Circuit and Engine CAN Message Missing not active, and the TCM detected the engine speed was more the calibrated limit. The TCM monitors the engine speed over the CAN bus. If the engine speed is greater than a calibrated limit (see table), the TCM assumes that either the information from the PCM is incorrect or that a major mechanical problem exist. Once the DTC is set, the TCM will position the transmission gear into neutral to protect the engine and transmission from damage. The transmission will remain in neutral and will not be evaluated by the TCM until the ignition is cycled.

Table of calibrated Limits:
    Engine Overspeed Limit (If Equipped)
    3.0 L (Diesel) 4350 + 800 rpm
    3.5 L 6400 + 500 rpm
    3.7 L 6000 + 500 rpm
    4.0 L 6000 + 500 rpm
    5.7 L 5600 + 500 rpm
    6.1L 6200 + 500 rpm

If anyone has q's or knows anything let me know, thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Happened to me a few times when i floor it on wet pavement. Maybe increasing rev limit and/or shift points with predator will fix it?
    Likes SheepBrusco300c liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Happened to me at the drag strip. Very embarrassing.

I raised my rev limiter to the highest setting. Hasn't done it since.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Scat Pack Forums mobile app
    2006 Dodge Charger Daytona TorRed #1354, SRT Heads/Intake - ARH Long Tubes - Spartan Plus Cam - Magnaflow - 3.91s - 411rwhp/410rwtq
    Acceleration video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLey...aubWU9N6ezVy7g

I detail cars in the Virginia Beach/Norfolk area! 757-435-4027

Likes SheepBrusco300c liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup it's the curse of the factory TCM on the 05' cars. We can't change the shift points. Either need to swap TCM with 06'+, a MOPAR TCM or aftermarket. Same thing is an issue with me(also a 05' 300C). I raised the rev limiter to take advantage of my cam, heads and 6.1 manifold swap but kept going into limp mode due to not being able to raise shift points. Plan is to just grab a 06+ TCM maybe but most likely wil go with either the MOPAR TCM or HEMITUNER TCM.
    Likes Beach Goat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats not the issue, he's going past the rev limit when the tires are spinning. Ive done it myself quite a few times.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay727 View Post
    Tune it for the new gear ratio and that problem will go away. It's turning more rpm at the same mph with the different gears.
    Or the transmission is actually slipping.
    Or increase the limp offset in the tune.
    It's an easy problem to fix.
    None of this is accurate. The engine would immediately go into limp mode if the gear ratio wasn't programmed right....it wouldn't even get up enough rpm to go over the limiter. The transmission isn't slipping either.

It's a fault with the lazy shifting perameters. The computer commands the shift, but by the time the shift is actually complete the engine has over revved and goes into limp mode. Simple as that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Scat Pack Forums mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    This problem was encountered / discussed frequently in the early days (countless posts on here about rpm limp mode). Using a hand held (Diablosport for example), simply raise the REV limiter another 500rpm to create some more headroom (on all TCMs there is a 6700rpm global limiter).
    Last edited by Hemissary; 01-02-2019 at 11:06 AM.
    2005 Magnum RT---Viper Venom Red----440ci Aluminum block----Short Runner Valve Intake--410mm BAER 6S Monoblock Extreme--Eibach Multi-Pro 2

Custom--Grille Work--Hood--Headlights--Side View Mirrors--Rear Spoiler--Rear Diffuser--SRV Control System--Turbine Wheels

Likes Beach Goat, SheepBrusco300c liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, thanks for all the info. I do have the car tuned for the 3.91s, and this problem would happen sometimes before i installed those. That screenshot of the software you posted looks like exactly what I need to get into and change.. is that screenshot from hptuners software? and will I need to find an EGS53 tcm to be able to change that? All I've got is a diablo handheld i2, and it sucks haha.. i've run into problems with it trying to tune for the gears. It did have a setting though for the pcm drive and P/N rev limits, but I'm not sure that messing with those is gonna help me. It seems like what I need to change is that "limp offset" setting of 500rpm in that screenshot you posted so that I can move that limit up from 6100, I havent ever gotten the car up to the 6700 tcm limit it's talking about in your notes. If I could set the limp offset to, say, 1000, I'd think Id be okay because the car wont ever hit 6600. How would you recommend trying to get this done if Hp tuners is sketchy with the EGS52's?

Post Thanks / Like
    Once again...

With the Diablsport; go to Modify Parameters --> REV Limiter in Drive --> raise the rpm another 500rpm (50rpm increments).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay727 View Post
    Yes that is from HPTuners. (Anyone know what FCA is? )
    Fiat Chrysler Automobiles N.V.

Post Thanks / Like
    funny thing...I just had mine go into limp mode tonight.....The "transmission drops in neutral and need to cycle the key" limp mode. Does this only happen with a stock TCM when you exceed 6700rpm or can it also happen with wheel spin? I know i was around 6000rpm, but i don't think i was anywhere close to 6700rpm.
    SCOTT57RT
    2007 RT Charger 5.7L - Black Crystal Pearl
    Mods: DiabloSport Predator - InertiaTuned, MagnaFlow CAT Back Exhaust, JBA High Flow Cats, JBA Headers, 185Tstat, 85mm CNC Throttle Body, 6psi-P1SC Procharger Supercharger, Blown Spartan Cam, 20x9 FR SRT8 Challenger Wheels/Nitto555G2, Mygig, BC Racing Coilovers, Willwood Brakes&Rotors, 3.06 Getrag

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SCOTT57RT View Post
    funny thing...I just had mine go into limp mode tonight.....The "transmission drops in neutral and need to cycle the key" limp mode. Does this only happen with a stock TCM when you exceed 6700rpm or can it also happen with wheel spin? I know i was around 6000rpm, but i don't think i was anywhere close to 6700rpm.
    Sorry to thread jack here, but maybe this will help the OP or someone else. My tuner previously set my rev limit to 6300. My shift points are 6000. With the diablo I can only set + or - from 6300. At first, I raised my rev limiter by +300 and it still went into limp mode on the 1/2 shift when spinning the tires. I dropped my rev limit by -200 and I couldn’t get it to go into limp mode after that under the same conditions. I’m not sure I understand it, but I guess the rev limiter is saving me long enough for the transmission to shift.