Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

CHI 169 mile head review

It's been 169 miles, ran great. Had a stalling issue at idle.
    Started it up in my driveway this morning, bad noises, etc, it didn't even stay running. Pulled plugs, pulled heads, they're ****ing garbage.

The back story: I bought this car with the engine locked up. Heard of the bad valve seat problem, BUT there is a fix. I bought "fixed" heads and all the stuff to do the job properly and it turned out great.
    Had to drop the pan and replace a piston and rod the first time also.
    It ran great, no warning what so ever and this happened. I'm beyond pissed, broke, disappointed.
    Last edited by Jay727; 12-02-2018 at 08:13 AM.
    Likes hotrod1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Where did you get these so i know to stay clear?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    2005 Brilliant Black 300C
    Qtp dual oval cutouts, LegMaker True V2 CAI
    ZAuto Tranzformer, Diablo Trinity 93 canned tune, Hoosier Dr2

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blistering View Post
    Where did you get these so i know to stay clear?

Cylinder Heads International. They claim to replace all the seats with over sized ones for a tighter fit into the head.
    Surprising the guy answered the phone today, I'm the only one who's had this problem with their heads. F'ing BS. It's a bone stock engine.

Post Thanks / Like
    I understand that you're upset and I most likely would be too.

What I don't understand is that you bought a locked up engine with a bad head, only replaced one piston (no mention of crank/rod bearings replaced)?

Did you reuse your old intake? There very well could have been some metal left in it and could have caused your current situation, even *IF* that joint in Grand Prairie replaced valve seats. (Which for $250-$300 per head I SERIOUSLY doubt they did)

The bright side is, those heads have a 12 month warranty, so they'll get replaced for free.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Likes ForceFed4g63, 49er, chrisp2493 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by punisher69 View Post
    I understand that you're upset and I most likely would be too.

What I don't understand is that you bought a locked up engine with a bad head, only replaced one piston (no mention of crank/rod bearings replaced)?

Did you reuse your old intake? There very well could have been some metal left in it and could have caused your current situation, even *IF* that joint in Grand Prairie replaced valve seats. (Which for $250-$300 per head I SERIOUSLY doubt they did)

The bright side is, those heads have a 12 month warranty, so they'll get replaced for free.

If there was something left in the intake it wouldn't pull a seat out.
    The fact that only one piston was replaced or if a full rebuild was done, either way it doesn't make a valve seat fall out.

There is no bright side, the warranty gets me another set of garbage heads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay727 View Post
    If there was something left in the intake it wouldn't pull a seat out.
    The fact that only one piston was replaced or if a full rebuild was done, either way it doesn't make a valve seat fall out.

There is no bright side, the warranty gets me another set of garbage heads.
    If there was a piece of metal left in the intake, it ABSOLUTELY could cause a valve seat to dislodge.

It could also have passed through, breaking the ring lands causing the metal from them to pinch in the valves and dislodge a valve seat.

Without seeing the carnage first hand, it's hard to say for sure, but I think your root cause is something aside from the heads. I'm sure they didn't help, but I truly feel there were other forces in play.

Post Thanks / Like
    In that pic of the cylinder head...which seat fell out?
    2005 Magnum RT---Viper Venom Red----440ci Aluminum block----Short Runner Valve Intake--410mm BAER 6S Monoblock Extreme--Eibach Multi-Pro 2

Custom--Grille Work--Hood--Headlights--Side View Mirrors--Rear Spoiler--Rear Diffuser--SRV Control System--Turbine Wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemissary View Post
    In that pic of the cylinder head...which seat fell out?

In the picture you can see that the intake valve is sunk below the chamber surface on the side towards the plugs.
    Likes chrisp2493 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    That's a bum deal for sure. I got 233,000 miles on my 05' 5.7 Hemi. I beat on her everyday and never had a problem so they can't be all bad!

Post Thanks / Like
    Is this blown up piston the same one you replaced before?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 4DoorMuscle View Post
    That's a bum deal for sure. I got 233,000 miles on my 05' 5.7 Hemi. I beat on her everyday and never had a problem so they can't be all bad!
    I got 155k~ on my 05, i beat the piss out of it, has original heads as far as i know, but i make sure to let it idle for 30 seconds to a minute before shutting it off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by punisher69 View Post
    If there was a piece of metal left in the intake, it ABSOLUTELY could cause a valve seat to dislodge.

It could also have passed through, breaking the ring lands causing the metal from them to pinch in the valves and dislodge a valve seat.

Without seeing the carnage first hand, it's hard to say for sure, but I think your root cause is something aside from the heads. I'm sure they didn't help, but I truly feel there were other forces in play.

You're wrong. I'm sorry. This isn't the first engine I've built and you weren't here to watch me build it.
    I pulled two pieces of the original seat out that were nearly one third the diameter each, and a pile of smaller pieces.
    What happened today is the most common description that I've read about. Shut it down briefly and upon start up it ate the seat. I read about it every day for a week after work. Well thats exactly what happened today. I had HPTUNERS scanner connected and shut the car off approx 3 minutes, not a single noise, after approx 3 minutes I turn the key and all went to hell.

Just yesterday I drove 120 miles round trip, not one issue, noise, no concerns at all. I've done several WOT runs, cruised at 90 mph (and above for short periods)
    Thought to myself when I got back it's officially fixed. Theres no way in hell there was something stuck in the intake until this morning. No way.
    Coolant good (HOAT and distilled water) oil good, runs smooth and strong.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 4DoorMuscle View Post
    Is this blown up piston the same one you replaced before?
    No, it was #2 before and now it's number 5. And there was no metal in any other cylinders at all. No other pistons were damaged at previous failure.

The old guy I bought it from I thought was full of it. He said he had it in the shop because it would stall after a fill up. While there being worked on it started knocking and was shut down right away and turned 3/4 turn by hand and locked up.
    Well he wasn't full of it based on the cranking time this failure has. I'm surprised at the damage.

I've broken a valve head off a big block chevy going 5000 rpm, I've seen carnage and this still surprised me how bad it is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Heres a before pic. Says D5 driver side #5. I have a lot of pics of both heads new and old.

Post Thanks / Like
    So the cheapest "rebuilt" heads came apart? Looks like a beaver put those seats in to begin with.
    Likes Jay Z, Hemissary liked this post

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast