Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 137
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    138
    Post Thanks / Like

    CHI 169 mile head review





    Ith
    Last edited by Jay727; 02-03-2019 at 03:05 PM.
    Likes hotrod1 liked this post



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    902
    Post Thanks / Like
    Where did you get these so i know to stay clear?

    Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    2005 Brilliant Black 300C
    Qtp dual oval cutouts, LegMaker True V2 CAI
    ZAuto Tranzformer, Diablo Trinity 93 canned tune, Hoosier Dr2

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    138
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blistering View Post
    Where did you get these so i know to stay clear?

    Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    Cylinder Heads International. They claim to replace all the seats with over sized ones for a tighter fit into the head.
    Surprising the guy answered the phone today, I'm the only one who's had this problem with their heads. F'ing BS. It's a bone stock engine.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Bedford, Texas
    Posts
    3,123
    Post Thanks / Like
    I understand that you're upset and I most likely would be too.

    What I don't understand is that you bought a locked up engine with a bad head, only replaced one piston (no mention of crank/rod bearings replaced)?

    Did you reuse your old intake? There very well could have been some metal left in it and could have caused your current situation, even *IF* that joint in Grand Prairie replaced valve seats. (Which for $250-$300 per head I SERIOUSLY doubt they did)

    The bright side is, those heads have a 12 month warranty, so they'll get replaced for free.

    Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Likes ForceFed4g63, 49er, chrisp2493 liked this post

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    138
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by punisher69 View Post
    I understand that you're upset and I most likely would be too.

    What I don't understand is that you bought a locked up engine with a bad head, only replaced one piston (no mention of crank/rod bearings replaced)?

    Did you reuse your old intake? There very well could have been some metal left in it and could have caused your current situation, even *IF* that joint in Grand Prairie replaced valve seats. (Which for $250-$300 per head I SERIOUSLY doubt they did)

    The bright side is, those heads have a 12 month warranty, so they'll get replaced for free.

    Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    If there was something left in the intake it wouldn't pull a seat out.
    The fact that only one piston was replaced or if a full rebuild was done, either way it doesn't make a valve seat fall out.

    There is no bright side, the warranty gets me another set of garbage heads.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Bedford, Texas
    Posts
    3,123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay727 View Post
    If there was something left in the intake it wouldn't pull a seat out.
    The fact that only one piston was replaced or if a full rebuild was done, either way it doesn't make a valve seat fall out.

    There is no bright side, the warranty gets me another set of garbage heads.
    If there was a piece of metal left in the intake, it ABSOLUTELY could cause a valve seat to dislodge.

    It could also have passed through, breaking the ring lands causing the metal from them to pinch in the valves and dislodge a valve seat.

    Without seeing the carnage first hand, it's hard to say for sure, but I think your root cause is something aside from the heads. I'm sure they didn't help, but I truly feel there were other forces in play.

    Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    13,251
    Post Thanks / Like
    In that pic of the cylinder head...which seat fell out?
    2005 Magnum RT---Viper Venom Red----440ci Aluminum block----Short Runner Valve Intake--410mm BAER 6S Monoblock Extreme--Eibach Multi-Pro 2

    Custom--Grille Work--Hood--Headlights--Side View Mirrors--Rear Spoiler--Rear Diffuser--SRV Control System--Turbine Wheels


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Charlotte NC
    Posts
    351
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemissary View Post
    In that pic of the cylinder head...which seat fell out?

    In the picture you can see that the intake valve is sunk below the chamber surface on the side towards the plugs.
    Likes chrisp2493 liked this post

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Charlotte NC
    Posts
    351
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's a bum deal for sure. I got 233,000 miles on my 05' 5.7 Hemi. I beat on her everyday and never had a problem so they can't be all bad!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Charlotte NC
    Posts
    351
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is this blown up piston the same one you replaced before?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    902
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 4DoorMuscle View Post
    That's a bum deal for sure. I got 233,000 miles on my 05' 5.7 Hemi. I beat on her everyday and never had a problem so they can't be all bad!
    I got 155k~ on my 05, i beat the piss out of it, has original heads as far as i know, but i make sure to let it idle for 30 seconds to a minute before shutting it off.

    Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    138
    Post Thanks / Like
    Heres a before pic. Says D5 driver side #5. I have a lot of pics of both heads new and old.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    2,133
    Post Thanks / Like
    So the cheapest "rebuilt" heads came apart? Looks like a beaver put those seats in to begin with.
    Likes Jay Z, Hemissary liked this post

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Warren, Oh
    Posts
    227
    Post Thanks / Like
    Inertia Motorsports have economy heads that just have the seats redone. I would trust them way more then some random shop
    03 Ram 392 Stroker
    Thanks troper thanked for this post
    Likes troper, HemiLonestar liked this post

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    138
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DBL.DWN View Post
    So the cheapest "rebuilt" heads came apart? Looks like a beaver put those seats in to begin with.
    You didn't have much to say in this thread Source for Rebuilt 5.7 heads?

    My opinion is these heads look to be rebuilt a few times. In that thread I show best and worst chambers. At least one was beat to hell and welded/machined. I'm guessing the seats that didn't fail weren't replaced. Like the one above that fell out this morning.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Share This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •