Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay727 View Post
    It looks like it. Or should I buy a few cans of silver paint and pretend all is ok? LOL.
    Work ethic. What happened to it?
    For real. Sad its so hard to find someone to do the job they are being paid to do.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you send them back, you don't have any cores. they have your cores and their returned heads? They still owe you for a set of cores.
    Last edited by 2005rtmag; 12-03-2018 at 10:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I found some "survivors" today. 2005, no dropped seats, no repairs, no signs of failure. Came out of a wreck.
    I got the heads off and the cylinders look really good so I'm going back tomorrow to get the rest of it.
    Probably get the car running, send the crap heads back, build the jy engine up mild and for reliability.
    Going to use some of my sh!t GM engines for cores, they said I could do that. The conversion from GM to Mopar is beginning.

I don't know why these are upside down.

Likes agoristmike liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad you were able to find some heads at the yard. I hope you have better luck from here on out. I love my charger and plan to add a Ram to the mix soonish. I always told my sister (who got my first charger) that if I was going to build a mild car for street/strip I'd just do forged RA, whatever bolt-ons, tuning, and some nitrous. 600+hp on tap and mild manners on the street.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Check out my full build at worldsfastesthemi.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Dodge hater here, pulling a Hemi. (the shirt, get it)

'05 Short block and heads, Not bad for under $252. Heads on other reciept.

Post Thanks / Like
    So should I clean these heads up and put them back on the block they came off of? I popped out a few valves and the seats aren't worn, they don't need a valve job just seals. The margin is approx .045.
    Since failures are so unheard of why not?

BTW FWIW A guy stopped me in the yard and saw I had a Hemi. He said "be sure you get someone to fix the heads, the valve seats are junk" Said he does a lot of these and 4.7's at his shop.

Post Thanks / Like
    While the heads are off, I would have the seats replaced. My 2 cents.
    Thanks RobsSXT thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Not a bad deal, I paid $400 for a junkyard block that looked like this when I opened it up. Spent another $200 to get a cylinder sleeved.
    03 Ram 392 Stroker

Post Thanks / Like
    damn not a bad price at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisp2493 View Post
    Not a bad deal, I paid $400 for a junkyard block that looked like this when I opened it up. Spent another $200 to get a cylinder sleeved.
    Dang, the rust
    I bought a GM 5.3 off cl that had the same "disappearing piston" problem. It was a decent deal though I needed eveything else to put on a short block I had.
    This block I bought today I saw during their 40% off sale, but that was when my car was running fine so I could have had it for even less.

Sorry you had that happen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay727 View Post
    Dang, the rust
    I bought a GM 5.3 off cl that had the same "disappearing piston" problem. It was a decent deal though I needed eveything else to put on a short block I had.
    This block I bought today I saw during their 40% off sale, but that was when my car was running fine so I could have had it for even less.

Sorry you had that happen.
    Oh don’t be sorry, it’s a 392 now. I bought that spare block to stroke and then swapped it into my truck

Post Thanks / Like
    Does it look like the rods in my old block were installed on the wrong sides? All of the pistons are right (arrows point to front). As assembled one side of the small end of the rods touches the piston instead of being centered.

On this short block I got to put back in it the rods look correct, the small ends are centered in the pistons. I stamped the numbers on them.

The old block was an '08

Looks like a crap something. The short block looks to have been apart but nothing is numbered, stamped, notched, nothing. Just gray rtv and mismatched bolts everywhere.

I wonder what effect the rods being on wrong effected operation. Kind of glad I found this, now I can build it correct.
    Last edited by Jay727; 12-06-2018 at 09:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

CHI 169 mile head review PISSED!!!!!!!

Here’s some close ups with the bearings installed. From what I remember the bigger gap goes towards the outside of the crank journal. I think it does that because the journal is slightly rounded so that extra clearance goes around the rise

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll have to check that. It looks like my old engine was put together wrong.
    One thing good about all this is I'll know it's right when I'm done.
    Thanks for those pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast