Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Inertia Motorsports have economy heads that just have the seats redone. I would trust them way more then some random shop
    03 Ram 392 Stroker
    Thanks troper thanked for this post
    Likes troper, HemiLonestar liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DBL.DWN View Post
    So the cheapest "rebuilt" heads came apart? Looks like a beaver put those seats in to begin with.
    You didn't have much to say in this thread Source for Rebuilt 5.7 heads?

My opinion is these heads look to be rebuilt a few times. In that thread I show best and worst chambers. At least one was beat to hell and welded/machined. I'm guessing the seats that didn't fail weren't replaced. Like the one above that fell out this morning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay727 View Post
    You didn't have much to say in this thread Source for Rebuilt 5.7 heads?

My opinion is these heads look to be rebuilt a few times. In that thread I show best and worst chambers. At least one was beat to hell and welded/machined. I'm guessing the seats that didn't fail weren't replaced. Like the one above that fell out this morning.

Yeah, i said use a vendor or a competent machine shop.

I'm sorry these came apart on you. Hopefully they will help you out on the repairs or such.

Those heads have been thru the ringer and slapped back together to keep the costs down. So its a gamble if they stay together or come part. All those ebay ones are a gamble.

You should pay that or more just for the "fix"

FIXING OF 5.7 NON EAGLE VALVE SEATS (CALL)

Post Thanks / Like

You should pay that or more just for the "fix"

FIXING OF 5.7 NON EAGLE VALVE SEATS (CALL)
    I saw that, but they only replace the intake seats. Theres a video link in that other thread to a guy changing his heads (and used CHI) and he had an exhaust seat fall out also. He shows it in the video.

Post Thanks / Like
    Could be worse. You could own an early Ford 6.7 Powerstroke that dropped a valve and once out of warranty you're on the hook for an $18K engine, plus having to lift the body off the frame to replace the engine.

I'm sure that doesn't make you feel better, but Dodge isn't alone in the failure department.

Richard
    06 Silverado ISS / 06 Silverado SS / 06 300C SRT8
    Likes BlackAce liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Sure looks like detonation to me blew the top ring land off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by electjohn View Post
    At start up? Detonation at start up?

These cars have knock sensors, I have HPTuners. I've driven this around with the scanner connected and there was no knock retard detected.
    I've driven GM LS engines on a bad tune and heard detonation and never dropped a valve seat.
    I've built a lot of small and big block chevys with distributors and heard detonation above 7000 rpm and never broke a piston.

And these examples are hearing it with my ears over loud exhaust, this hemi is in a car thats quiet. I know people will say you don't hear mild detonation. I disagree, theres no way in hell the top ring land broke off.

Please take this as a discussion, I'm not meaning to sound rude or obnoxious. I just thought I fixed this car and honestly I like it so much I don't care about most of the other cars I own and was going to sell a few.

I really like this car, so to have this happen is a huge disappointment and I'm frustrated.

And to add to this, I'm a big junkyard fan, theres a yard an hour from me having a 50% off sale today and a few LKQ u pull it's having 40% off, I'm wondering if I should get a hemi for $200 complete just to have it or whatever.

Post Thanks / Like
    Seems like the valve seat issue was just a few select years of heads for some reason. My 03 heads have been overheated and never had an issue, and I had my machine shop heat stress test them and none fell out. Unfortunately it seems like you got stuck with a bad shop making the repairs. Get a different set of heads from a different year or even some upgraded newer heads and you shouldn’t ever have a problem. Finding a cheap Hemi is fun, then you can build it with some goodies and be worth it. Put some eagle heads and a mild cam in and pick up some good power out of it. Lots of people here have done that

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, i said use a vendor or a competent machine shop.
    Like I said competent is hard to find.

I think I'm dealing with a mans word here. Do they really replace the seats..... (CHI)

At least rebuiltengines4less told me they only replace the problem seats and peen the rest.

If everyone was honest and competent the world would be a better place.
    Likes BlackAce, Jay Z, Cuda SRT8, FlaCharger liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisp2493 View Post
    Seems like the valve seat issue was just a few select years of heads for some reason. My 03 heads have been overheated and never had an issue, and I had my machine shop heat stress test them and none fell out. Unfortunately it seems like you got stuck with a bad shop making the repairs. Get a different set of heads from a different year or even some upgraded newer heads and you shouldn’t ever have a problem. Finding a cheap Hemi is fun, then you can build it with some goodies and be worth it. Put some eagle heads and a mild cam in and pick up some good power out of it. Lots of people here have done that
    Interesting, I just went wednesday to look an they had an '03 ram with a hemi.
    Last edited by Jay727; 11-23-2018 at 11:15 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay727 View Post
    Interesting, I just went wednesday to look an they had an '03 ram with a hemi.

What are eagle heads? Ashamed to asked this, I think they are later model, like '09 and newer? Do they bolt right on?
    Actually yes you are correct, 09+ Hemi 5.7 heads. You could do some searching on this forum, there is a ton stuff that’s been discussed but the jist of it is they bolt right up, the raise compression way up but if you run a thick .050-.075 headgasket it gets it down to 10.5-11.0 compression. Exhaust ports are different but I think the cars have good options to put the newer headers on. Here’s a pic comparing the early Hemi and the eagle heads, Intake is quite bigger on the eagles. I’m doing this on my stroker, can’t wait to see the gains with a decent cam

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by electjohn View Post
    Does this look like detonation blew the top ring land off?

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out the chunk of valve seat.
    2005 Magnum RT---Viper Venom Red----440ci Aluminum block----Short Runner Valve Intake--410mm BAER 6S Monoblock Extreme--Eibach Multi-Pro 2

Custom--Grille Work--Hood--Headlights--Side View Mirrors--Rear Spoiler--Rear Diffuser--SRV Control System--Turbine Wheels

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Ouch

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Scat Pack Forums mobile app
    2006 Dodge Charger Daytona TorRed #1354, SRT Heads/Intake - ARH Long Tubes - Spartan Plus Cam - Magnaflow - 3.06 Getrag
    Watch SaabKyle review my old Charger Scat Pack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6OA...ezVy7g&index=3

I detail cars in the Virginia Beach/Norfolk area! 757-435-4027

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast