Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Car Stalls Randomly, Only Code is P0129 and have already replaced the MAP sensor

Hello Everyone,

So this is one that I can't get my head around. The ride started randomly shutting off (usually during idle). In all cases it's just a simple restart and the car comes back without any issue (until it stalls again). Randomly the only code the car has every thrown is P0129. This is what I have done so far:

1. Replaced the MAP Sensor
    2. Cleaned TB
    3. Cleaned Air Sensor

My car had it's gas tank replaced years ago so I wasn't thinking it would be round 2 of that issue. I have also checked the Barometric readings from the sensor in torque and all appear to be OK and operating in normal ranges. I am honestly at a loss here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Throttle Position Sensor...?
    Thanks optimus124 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kaveman View Post
    Throttle Position Sensor...?
    Haven't looked at that one yet. This afternoon the car stalls again. I was in a safe location so instead of doing the key turn trick for stored codes, I just waited and had Torque running and did a scan. U0100 was a pending fault. It immediately disappeared once the car was restarted (as it always does). Hopefully it's not the PCM and just a short somewhere along the wiring.

Post Thanks / Like
    The wife's RT Magnum was doing this.

No codes, ever.

Turned out to be the camshaft position sensor.

$35 part.

Drop the starter. Unplug the sensor. Remove 1 bolt. Replace.

Bob

Lux Technologies - LuX Technologies - Custom Interior Light Mods for Chrysler / Dodge / Jeep Platforms [LX/LC/WK]
    I spend my time modding your lights and developing new products, not being your FaceBook friend.

http://www.luxte.ch
    Lux Technologies

Post Thanks / Like
    My car does the same thing, just once a day or so. Last night I had the IPM flipped up and it was worse, it wouldn't stay running 2 minutes with it flipped up. I'm guessing theres a loose wire under there somewhere. I tried wiggling each connector and wire to see what one would make it stall with no luck. I pushed all the fuses, relays, and harness connectors in while wiggling them around and couldn't get it to stall after that. Then put it back together and close the hood and it stalled once

In the next few days I'm going to disconnect the battery and pull all the connectors out and clean them if needed and check for loose/bent/corroded pins, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Had this issue in my old car, would go limp mode. All I did was replace the throttle pos. sensor. Hope it narrows it down a bit

Sent from my iPhone using Scat Pack Forums

Post Thanks / Like

Car Stalls Randomly, Only Code is P0129 and have already replaced the MAP sensor

Do you get the code every time it stalls?

The manual states this for the p0129 code, but the cam sensor seems to be a common cause, so it might not hurt to replace that anyway first.

P0129 Possible Causes
    (F856) 5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT SHORTED TO BATTERY VOLTAGE
    (F856) 5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT OPEN
    (F856) 5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
    (K1) MAP SIGNAL CIRCUIT OPEN
    (K1) MAP SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
    (K1) MAP SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO (K900) SENSOR GROUND
    MAP SENSOR
    PCM
    Last edited by SCOTT57RT; 11-27-2018 at 10:41 PM.
    SCOTT57RT
    2007 RT Charger 5.7L - Black Crystal Pearl
    Mods: DiabloSport Predator - InertiaTuned, MagnaFlow CAT Back Exhaust, JBA High Flow Cats, JBA Headers, 185Tstat, 85mm CNC Throttle Body, 6psi-P1SC Procharger Supercharger, Blown Spartan Cam, 20x9 FR SRT8 Challenger Wheels/Nitto555G2, Mygig, BC Racing Coilovers, Willwood Brakes&Rotors, 3.06 Getrag

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SCOTT57RT View Post
    Do you get the code every time it stalls?
    Which code, the U0100 or the P0129?
    I had HPTuners scanner connected and got U0100 every time.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jay727 View Post
    Which code, the U0100 or the P0129?
    I had HPTuners scanner connected and got U0100 every time.

Sorry to hijack the thread.
    The data I provided was for P0129- barometric pressure out of range low. I edited the post above to make it more clear. That was the one I was wondering if he got every time.
    Last edited by SCOTT57RT; 11-27-2018 at 10:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay727 View Post
    My car does the same thing, just once a day or so. Last night I had the IPM flipped up and it was worse, it wouldn't stay running 2 minutes with it flipped up. I'm guessing theres a loose wire under there somewhere. I tried wiggling each connector and wire to see what one would make it stall with no luck. I pushed all the fuses, relays, and harness connectors in while wiggling them around and couldn't get it to stall after that. Then put it back together and close the hood and it stalled once

In the next few days I'm going to disconnect the battery and pull all the connectors out and clean them if needed and check for loose/bent/corroded pins, etc.
    What's the IPM?

Thanks everyone for the responses. I haven't driven the car in a few days. Swapped out the ignition coils and it idles better, but no fix with the main issue. This time I briefly got the P0700 code when doing a scan. I can try the Cam Sensor as well. This car did have an engine swap about 3 years ago (worst swap ever) and I rather replace everything possible before jumpimg to the PCM. Surprisingly if it is the TCM, it's covered under the Lifetime service warranty.
    Last edited by optimus124; 11-27-2018 at 02:41 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by optimus124 View Post
    What's the IPM?

Thanks everyone for the responses. I haven't driven the car in a few days. Swapped out the ignition coils and it idles better, but no fix with the main issue. This time I briefly got the P0700 code when doing a scan. I can try the Cam Sensor as well. This car did have an engine swap about 3 years ago (worst swap ever) and I rather replace everything possible before jumpimg to the PCM. Surprisingly if it is the TCM, it's covered under the Lifetime service warranty.
    That P0700 code means the TCM flagged a code. You might try to get that scanned.

Another thought I had was related to the MAP sensor harness. Did you check that harness for any shorts? You might try to move that around when it’s running to see if you can get it to stall. I don’t know how long a fault would need to persist there before causing the car to stall, so maybe it’s a long shot.

You could also try to log some parameters to see if you can catch the event.

Post Thanks / Like
    Check the transmission stuff. There seems to be a very very slow leak around the transmission cooling line so it may be lower than normal. I jiggle the MAP harness and no issues there. Is there a location map for all the ground locations on this car?

As far as parameters go, it's pretty much random.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know about ground question. I think everything in the engine eventually makes it to the Integrated Power Distribution Module.

Here's what the manual says about start and stall troubleshooting

*START AND STALL CONDITION
    For the Engine circuit diagram (Refer to 9 - ENGINE - SCHEMATICS AND DIAGRAMS).
    For a complete wiring diagram Refer to Section 8W.
    Possible Causes
    CURRENT PCM DTCS
    CURRENT SKIM DTCS
    THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR SWEEP
    TP SENSOR NO.1 VOLTAGE GREATER THAN 0.92 VOLTS WITH THROTTLE CLOSED
    ECT SENSOR
    OTHER POSSIBLE CAUSES FOR START AND STALL CONDITION
    FUEL CONTAMINATION
    Diagnostic Test
    1. CHECKING DTCS
    Ignition on, engine not running.
    With a scan tool, read DTCs.
    Are any DTCs present?
    Yes >> Refer to the appropriate Diagnostic Procedure.
    Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 9 - ENGINE - STANDARD PROCEDURE)
    No >> Go To 2
    2. CHECKING SKIM DTCS
    NOTE: If you are unable to communicate with the SKIM/SKREEM, refer to the VEHICLE THEFT AND SECU-
    RITY ELECTRICAL DIAGNOSTICS in Section 8 and perform the appropriate diagnostics.
    With the scan tool, read the SKIM codes.
    Are there any SKIM DTCs?
    Yes >> Refer to the Sentry Key Vehicle Theft Security Electrical Diagnostics in Section 8.
    Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 9 - ENGINE - STANDARD PROCEDURE)
    No >> Go To 3
    3. TP SENSOR SWEEP
    Using a scan tool, perform the pedal follower test and monitor both TP Sensor voltage readings.
    Was the voltage change smooth for both sensors?
    Yes >> Go To 4
    No >> Replace the Throttle Body Assembly.
    4. TP SENSOR NO.1 VOLTAGE GREATER THAN 0.92 VOLTS WITH THROTTLE CLOSED
    With the scan tool, read Throttle Position Sensor No.1 voltage.
    Throttle must be against its stop.
    Is the voltage 0.92 or less with the Throttle closed?
    Yes >> Go To 5
    No >> Check for a binding throttle condition. If OK, replace the Throttle Body Assembly.
    5. ECT SENSOR OPERATION
    NOTE: For this test to be valid, the thermostat must be operating correctly.
    NOTE: This test works best if performed on a cold engine (cold soaked).
    NOTE: If the vehicle was allowed to sit over night with no engine start, coolant temperature should be near
    ambient temperatures.
    With the scan tool, read the ECT value.
    NOTE: If engine coolant temperature is above 82° C (180° F), allow the engine to cool until 65° C (150° F) is
    reached.
    Start the engine.
    During engine warm-up, monitor the Engine Coolant Temperature value. The temperature value change should be a
    smooth transition from start up to normal operating temp 82° C (180° F). The value should reach at least 82° C
    (180° F).
    Did the Engine Temperature value increase smoothly and did it reach at least 82° C (180° F)?
    Yes >> Go To 6
    No >> Replace the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor.
    6. OTHER POSSIBLE CAUSES OF START AND STALL CONDITION
    The following additional items should be checked as a possible cause for a start and stall condition.
    Refer to any Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs) that may apply to the symptom.
    The exhaust system must be free of any restrictions.
    The engine compression must be within specifications.
    The engine valve timing must be within specifications.
    The engine must be free from vacuum leaks.
    The throttle body must be free of carbon buildup and dirt.
    Do any of the above conditions exist?
    Yes >> Repair as necessary.
    No >> Go To 7
    7. FUEL PUMP DELIVERY
    Verify that the Fuel tank is not empty before continuing.
    Follow the diagnostics for Checking Fuel Delivery in this manual.
    Was the No Start condition solved after following the above diagnostic test?
    Yes >> Test Complete.
    No >> Check for contamination/water in the fuel. Ensure the fuel being used in this vehicle meets OEM Fuel
    Requirement, refer to the service manual.

Post Thanks / Like
    Replaced both the camshaft and crankshaft positioning sensor. It's been running for a while and no stalls yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Took a few days but were back to square one. Car continues to stall occasionally. The only code that is remaining now it the gray code U100 code. If it does come down to the PCM, any suggestion on where to purchase one (refurbished or new)?
    Last edited by optimus124; 12-05-2018 at 11:35 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast