Post Thanks / Like

2006 300C SRT8 - Help identifying engine ticking/tapping

Looking for some help in narrowing down where this ticking/tapping might be coming from.

I think I pretty well checked for a rattling heat shield and loose exhaust manifold bolts, but not sure. When I stick my head in the driver wheel well the noise becomes louder.

I hear it when idling and during normal driving (such as when going thru a drive thru or when going thru a parking garage).

It is most common at start up, but as you can tell from just above, it's also doing it while warm, too. The noise persisted after a normal oil change. Threw a gas additive in the car a few times over the last year. Also, mechanic threw some atf in the crankcase at last oil change.

Here's a link to a short video -
    2006 300C SRT8 - Unknown ticking/tapping - YouTube

Appreciate any suggestions or approaches to further isolating the problem. Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Search for "Hemi tick".
    2005 Cool Vanilla Magnum R/T
    20" 2008 SRT Alcoa wheels
    245/45/20 Firestone Wide Oval, Front Brembo Conversion
    K&N CAI, Diablosport InTune
    MSD Blaster Coil Kit, 6 Disc RAQ Radio
    Thanks JMak00 thanked for this post
    Likes TiCaLLioNStaLLyN liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    It's the hemi tick dude.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    Thanks JMak00 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by classicr View Post
    Search for "Hemi tick".
    I have, extensively. The sound across all the vids I have seen is inconsistent, so I haven't learned what the hemi tick is versus a bad lifter or bad injector or something else. So, I do appreciate that you are confirming that I am hearing the hemi tick.

I have also read a lot of threads here and at the other forums about what to do to address. I've seen responses range from nothing, it's normal to using specialized fluids to taking apart the engine.

I guess I'd like to know if there is something that I should be doing or nothing.
    Last edited by JMak00; 07-13-2018 at 06:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I heard injectors until you got on top the tire - then I heard valve train.

Your buddy with the ATF - not a bad idea.

Solved this before by dropping a couple quarts of oil, then topping with Marvel Mystery Oil, driving easy for a couple days, then full oil change.

This sound should change with temp - Louder when cold, or quieter?
    X E Ryder
    Just Another Motorhead, Really.
    (midlife crisis activated)

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds normal to me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2006 300c SRT8
    PWR Ported Heads | HHP Stage 2R Cam | 3.55 Getrag | GTP Ported Intake Manifold | Kooks Longtubes | Corsa Sport / SRT Resonators | AMG 8 Piston Brake Calipers | Hemituner 6,800 TCM | BT Catch Can | LMI True CAI V2 | Tranzformer | MM 87mm TB | Johan Tuned | REM Adjustable Endlinks & Front/Rear Shock Braces | 33/22mm Front/Rear Sway Bars | Michelin Pilot Sport 4 315/35/20 & 275/40/20 | 10" Widened Oem Wheels | LC-2 Wideband Analog Output to Trinity | Mishimoto Full Aluminum Radiator

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by X E Ryder View Post
    I heard injectors until you got on top the tire - then I heard valve train.

Your buddy with the ATF - not a bad idea.

Solved this before by dropping a couple quarts of oil, then topping with Marvel Mystery Oil, driving easy for a couple days, then full oil change.

This sound should change with temp - Louder when cold, or quieter?
    Thanks, was just going do an oil change and run a quart of mmo into it. But didn't think to drain some oil, top with mmo, then do a regular oil change. Your thought being that by running mmo through it will loosen some junk and I want to drain that out rather then leaving it for the full oil change cycle?

The noise is present at cold start up and also at operating temp. It goes away under moderate acceleration and wot (but maybe that's engine noise and exhaust masking it). The noise also seems to be about the same volume at operating temp.

I have a short video of the engine noise when in park and pressing the gas pedal... I post that next.

Post Thanks / Like
    Engine noise in park pressing gas pedal - YouTube

Engine noise in park and pressing gas pedal

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JMak00 View Post
    Engine noise in park pressing gas pedal - YouTube

Engine noise in park and pressing gas pedal
    Kind of sounds like you have it in both banks - it isn't too bad, just annoying right?

Yes, I have used that partial replace with mmo and light drive to fix a number of noisy valve trains.

On one very stubborn engine we ran entirely mmo, but only drove down the street and then let it idle for an hour, then dumped it.
    That one finally stopped ticking but we replaced one quart regular oil with mmo permanently (until now actually) - Jeep motor.

In all honesty it's not that bad, mileage on that motor? It's quieter than a solid valve train.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by X E Ryder View Post
    Kind of sounds like you have it in both banks - it isn't too bad, just annoying right?

Yes, I have used that partial replace with mmo and light drive to fix a number of noisy valve trains.

On one very stubborn engine we ran entirely mmo, but only drove down the street and then let it idle for an hour, then dumped it.
    That one finally stopped ticking but we replaced one quart regular oil with mmo permanently (until now actually) - Jeep motor.

In all honesty it's not that bad, mileage on that motor? It's quieter than a solid valve train.
    88k miles.

Yeah, annoying, but worrying given my unfamiliarity with Hemi engines and noises.

At the other forum, Maddog is suggesting verifying that I don't have an exhaust leak at the manifold.

OK, so 2 actions:

Partial oil drain and refill with MMO, some driving, then oil change;

Check for exhaust leak at manifold.

Post Thanks / Like
    If MMO doesn't work, give Rislone a shot. Hemis aren't the only Dodge engines that tick, my 3.0's ALL did. 1/2qt Rislone at every oil change kept them nice and quiet.

I still can't get over how loud these Hemi injectors are. Dang near burst an eardrum with a stethoscope tracing that tap lol

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    I have that same noise in my 392 stroker. I was told "sounds like a stroker" - My local hemi shop, "sounds normal to me" and "thats the hemi tick!". From what I experienced the hemi tick is constant and audible and distinguishable throughout the RPMS. This sound still bugged me when I took it in but when we dynoed it, there was a smooth power curve and the guy tuning the engine said " if there was any issue, such as a collapsed lifter, damaged cam lobe etc. it wouldnt make smooth power like this" Now i dont know if all thats true but thats what i got.