Post Thanks / Like

SRT Cooling Fan Relay Harness Failure/Solution

Okay... so my high speed cooling fan was intermittent, then quit, altogether. Bummer.

On the SRT cooling fans, there is a relay, mounted to the shroud. I removed the relay and found that the socket was melted. Toast!

Come to find out, this wiring harness is DISCONTINUED.

Well, I put my thinking cap on and found the socket, by itself, all over the internet... and with better construction.

I purchased one from Grainger and it took me about an hour, to remove the old one and solder in the new one (time included removing the fan shroud assembly, from the car).

Here's the part: GRAINGER APPROVED Relay Base, Sealed Type - 5ZMU8'|'5ZMU8 - Grainger

It's called a weatherproof, or waterproof relay socket (5 pin). eBay has them, Grainger, Amazon, etc.

You'll need a utility knife, to remove the old vinyl tape, a soldering iron, wire strippers, some shrink tubing and a heat gun.

Make sure you cut the wires in such a way as to keep the new relay socket, in the same place, because it will mount to the shroud, and the connector it solders to also mounts to the shroud. Measure everything out, before cutting. Trust me. LOL.

Hope this helps anyone out there, who might run into the same issue, in the future.

BTW, if you CAN find a harness, it's about $140. My dealer told me there are only 5 that exist, at dealers. Once they're gone, they're gone.

Bob
    I spend my time modding your lights and developing new products, not being your FaceBook friend.

http://www.luxte.ch
    Lux Technologies

Thanks pursuitlx, ChuckWagon thanked for this post
    Likes SHARKY 370, TiCaLLioNStaLLyN liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome info right there sir!
    2006 Charger Brilliant Black R/T w/R&T Package, 6.1 Arrington based 426 Hemi @ 13:1 compression 2016 Hellcat Charger rear cradle and brakes swap, DSS 4" custom driveshaft, 3.09 Scat Pack rear diff.
    Thanks diboblo thanked for this post
    Likes diboblo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Good job Bob...but what was the root cause?
    2005 Magnum RT---Viper Venom Red----440ci Aluminum block----Short Runner Valve Intake--410mm BAER 6S Monoblock Extreme--Eibach Multi-Pro 2

Custom--Grille Work--Hood--Headlights--Side View Mirrors--Rear Spoiler--Rear Diffuser--SRV Control System--Turbine Wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemissary View Post
    Good job Bob...but what was the root cause?
    My high speed fan locked up and drew too much current through the relay.

New fan. New relay. New socket.

All happy, now

Bob Vega
    LuX Technologies - Custom Interior Light Mods for Chrysler / Dodge / Jeep Platforms [LX/LC/WK]
    Lux Tech
    LED light mods. GEN1 Bluetooth solutions. Kicker sub integration harnesses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm, I'm now inspired to look for the socket to repair the harnesses that go to the TPMS transponders...

Galactus hungers...
    Current
    His: 2006 MSRT8, K&N CAI, built and tuned by MPR Motorsports (WhiteHemi), forged pistons and a HHP Stg 2r cam, HHP HEMITUNER TCM, Paramount Stg 2 valve body, Mopar Performance high stall converter, Flowmaster Super 10s, 180° t-stat, Tranzformer, Street Edge coilovers, 275/35/20 Continental ExtremeContact DW (square), otherwise bone stock.
    397rwhp/399rwtq
    Personal best 8.473 in the 1/8 and spinning like a fool, on old Toyos, pre Tranzformer, old suspension, and old stock engine, new times to come.

Hers: 2010 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI, bone stock and slow as a rock...
    MOPAR360

Post Thanks / Like
    Part number: 68032364AA
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikibeast View Post
    Hmm, I'm now inspired to look for the socket to repair the harnesses that go to the TPMS transponders...

Galactus hungers...
    Bob Vega
    LuX Technologies - Custom Interior Light Mods for Chrysler / Dodge / Jeep Platforms [LX/LC/WK]
    Lux Tech
    LED light mods. GEN1 Bluetooth solutions. Kicker sub integration harnesses.