Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Plastic Belly Pan--do I need this thing?

Driving today when I hear a whining, scratching noise that sounded like I hit a skeleton and was dragging it at 50mph. Plastic belly pan (the rear-ward one that you remove to do an oil change) had somehow popped loose on the front end, and the thing was scraping along like a snowplow.

Other than serving to keep the bottom of the engine a little cleaner (well, and the incredible improvement in aerodynamics ) is there any reason for me to figure out how to re-attach this thing?

thanks

P

2006 300C, Corsa Extreme exhaust, K&N CAI, Diablosport Predator with custom tune.
    300.2 hp/340 TQ (Mustang Dyno) 311hp/360 TQ (Dynojet Dyno)

Post Thanks / Like
    Lost mine when I hit a hefty bag sized raccoon and have been running 6 years with out it
    East Coast Road Racing Club https://www.facebook.com/groups/1377583362497085/ NA with a lot of suspension mods/SRT Max Plus Cam/Forged Push Rods/600HP Half Shafts/Magnaflow Hiflow Cats, Corsa Cat back/ Dave Weber Polished Ported Intake Manifold, HHP Installed Wavetrac/NASCAR Cooling Ducts to ET1970 3" Brake Plates/TI (Track) Backing Plates/ AERO Hood/Naturally Aspirated Force Flow Legmaker CF-F-III, Zygote Forgestar F-14's wrapped in Continental Extreme DW Tires, coming soon BFNY-Sublime NAG-1 modified with custom converter HemiTuner tweaked HHP DynoTune: Trinity 93 Octane 428 RWHP/408RWTQ

Post Thanks / Like
    mines been off for about a year, no problems so far....it does keep underneath cleaner with it on though
    SOLD-01/10/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine is destroyed but I plan on getting a new one soon. The one that attaches to the bumper cover on mine got destroyed too, so I need that also. My theory is, if it came from the factory, it's there for a reason. Especially the front one that attaches to the bumper cover. Last thing I need is my wife to pull up on a parking block and have her rip the front end off when backing out.
    05 Magnum AWD SXT Hemi Swap
    instagram.com/hemisxt

Post Thanks / Like
    The rear one (as you point out) is mostly for aerodynamics. Mileage. The front one braces the bottom edge of the fascia. Without it the fascia will flex, over time creating stress cracks in the paint.
    2018 Granite Crystal Hellcat sleeper
    Continental ExtremeContact Sport (315/35R20 rear, 275/40R20 front)

Post Thanks / Like
    Is this the piece? For $14.29 + shipping at rock auto (#CH1228103), I can't really think of a reason not to have it. More Information for VARIOUS MFR CH1228103
    2007 Dodge Charger SRT-8
    Current mods: D-1SC Procharger HO, SRT Max cam, Inertia Performance heads, MM ported throttle body, ported intake manifold, V6 torque converter, Paramount Stage 2 valve body, Getrag rear conversion, SRT-4 Stage 1 Injectors, AEM 50-1000 fuel pump, Magnaflow midpipes with high flow cats, D1S HID's, Parrot Asteroid Smart head unit, BT catch can, 180 tstat, Zeitronix ZT-2 AFR and boost gauge, Hotchkis anti-sway bars, Razor's Edge strut brace, Danko chin spoiler, Rovos Durban 20x8.5 (DWS 255/45/20) and 20x10 (DWS 295/40/20). Installed by Troy @ Ding's Auto. Tuned by Johan.

Post Thanks / Like
    I hung mine on the wall the first time I changed the oil and it's still there now.. I'm not sure how much it helps with aerodynamics, but I've never gone over 150 mph..Maybe it helps after that..

Arrington Forged 6.1​..ported 5.7 Eagles..HHP Ported Intake
    227/235 cam..Paramount Trans..Dominator..RPM Roll Bar
    Nitrous Outlet..DSS driveshaft..CTP DSL..'09 Getrag 3.06
    Kooks..Corsa..LMI 4"..ATI 13% UD pulley..Billet Tech..BFNY
    [email protected] w/1.61 60' NA--[email protected] w/1.51 60' N20

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Anguish View Post
    The rear one (as you point out) is mostly for aerodynamics. Mileage. The front one braces the bottom edge of the fascia. Without it the fascia will flex, over time creating stress cracks in the paint.
    ^^^ DIng! ^^^ and...

if you have a fumoto drain plug it protects that
    it keeps the underside cleaner
    I suspect there is a very good chance that air flow through the engine bay will be impacted to some extent. Counter-intuitive but most likely the case. Turbulence is always a negative.
    There are a whole 4 bolts (that go into clip type nuts) that hold that thing on. Like Anguish said, the front edge goes on top of the rear edge of the front pan. If it's still serviceable put it back on. If it's trashed you could go either way but better to have one on there than not.
    I've got more even and simultaneous combustion...
    2006 Magnum SRT8 - Brilliant Black

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Anguish View Post
    The front one braces the bottom edge of the fascia. Without it the fascia will flex, over time creating stress cracks in the paint.
    This. At 150+ without that front pan Bad Things will happen to the fascia.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan79 View Post
    Is this the piece? For $14.29 + shipping at rock auto (#CH1228103), I can't really think of a reason not to have it. More Information for VARIOUS MFR CH1228103
    AND it only costs $9.63 to ship to Kallyforrrnia...

Thats incredible. I've had to buy these from the dealer in the past and shipping has been more than the damn part itself, which itself cost a lot more than RockAuto is listing.

I've ground away two or three on track. With the car lowered big time (small track wheels lowering it even more) that pan provides a first level of protection for the underside of the car. It ain't much but I've trashed belly pans and not scraped the crap out of things like the oil filter (which I have extended thanks to an oil sandwich adapter and oil cooler AND big filter so its just barely behind the cross-member). The belly pan has also kept mass quantities of rocks (the kind you find just off-track in gravel pits) from smooshing themselves all up in the underside of the car.

Not the most common use, but speaking personally I like to keep them on the car. And I don't really ascribe to the metal ones some people have fabbed as I'm ok with the thing tearing away since it doesn't take anything else with it, being only plastic.
    "LxF welcomes with open arms all members, regardless of social status, creed, color, sexual preference, or anything else. The only thing we discriminate against is douchebags."

Check out Darth Hemi in the LxForums Garage

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MattRobertson View Post
    .I don't really ascribe to the metal ones some people have fabbed as I'm ok with the thing tearing away since it doesn't take anything else with it, being only plastic.
    While we're on the subject. I've been waiting to see how those with rigid belly pans fair over a bit of time. If figure there is a lot of stuff around there that flexes and gives while driving, cornering, etc. I'm half expecting facia failures -- cracks, breakage around the bolt holes, etc. ...and then there is the scenario of bumping up against something with the lower facia with no give behind it.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you keep it off at least put the 2 front bolts on & screw then into the cross member & the rear of the front pan It will keep the front pan from flapping around & stabilize it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had been dragging mine for years until finally I ripped the whole thing off going over some railroad tracks. I didn't think much of it until I was cruising for a bit @~110mph and I saw smoke in my rearview mirror. Pulling over I couldn't see anything, but after closer examination I saw that the air coming in through that new opening built up enough pressure to push the plastic inner fenders against the front tires... the smoke I saw was the inner fenders about to catch on fire! I plan on replacing the piece soon, and I am hoping that the links in this thread will result in a good source. Next will be replacing those inner fenders

Post Thanks / Like
    mine fell off today to scared the hell out of me so i removed it
    2009 Torred Challenger, LMI Hammer, Muffler delete with glass packs, soon to be SRT MAX PLUS CAM (installed by BSM) [COLOR=#000000
    Piggybanxx[/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan79 View Post
    $14.29...... what a bunch of $hit....... I need to replace mine too and that friggin part is gonna cost me $75+ at a dealer.... $100 if I go to my local dealer...... wtf?
    It is so awesome getting ripped off.... er I mean..... living in Canada :(
    2005 Silver Magnum RT

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tmurphy View Post
    $14.29...... what a bunch of $hit....... I need to replace mine too and that friggin part is gonna cost me $75+ at a dealer.... $100 if I go to my local dealer...... wtf?
    It is so awesome getting ripped off.... er I mean..... living in Canada :(
    Well keep in mind that this is not OEM. It's made by a third party manufacturer. I used Rock Auto to replace my seat heater switch and I can't tell the difference versus the other OEM one but I don't know anyone who has purchased this belly plan to compare the quality.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Share This Thread