Post Thanks / Like

300c Heater core replacement...

So, anyone done it? I was running to a service call yesterday and next thing I know the drivers side floor has a pool of coolant on it and there's smoke coming from my dash vents with that ever unique sweet coolant smell filling the air.

Car just kicked past 100K and is an 05, I was pretty suprised it'd have this issue already. I've got the dual climate, and am assuming the dash pretty much has to come out for this job.

Anyone got some insight?

Post Thanks / Like
    To save us all from a full blown description, do a forum search for the service manual for your car. On page 24-390 of the 300C manual you'll find the procedure for taking out the HVAC unit which includes the heater core. You were right, the whole dash comes out. It looks like one hell of a job and I bet you can't get just the replacement core! Read--expensive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Called local parts store, looks like the cost is 50 bucks for the part thankfully.
    Thanks for the heads up on the manual, I'll search it out instead of "heater core".

Post Thanks / Like
    i have done one of these with out taking the dash out. the tubes that go from the heater core through the firewall are removable at the heater core. if you undo the tubes and turn them out of the way you can slide the heater core out of the box. if i recall you have to unbolt the steering colum and move that a little too.

Post Thanks / Like
    WARNING: On vehicles equipped with airbags, disable the airbag system before attempting any steering wheel, steering column, or instrument panel component diagnosis or service. Disconnect and isolate the negative battery (ground) cable, then wait two minutes for the airbag system capacitor to discharge before performing further diagnosis or service. This is the only sure way to disable the airbag system. Failure to take the proper precautions could result in accidental airbag deployment and possible personal injury or death.

Drain the engine cooling system (Refer to 7 - COOLING - STANDARD PROCEDURE - COOLING SYSTEM DRAIN).
    Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable.
    Carefully disconnect the heater hoses from the heater core tubes (7).
    Remove the instrument panel silencer from the driver side of the instrument panel (Refer to 23 - BODY/INSTRUMENT PANEL/INSTRUMENT PANEL SILENCER - REMOVAL).
    Remove the blend door actuator (1) from the driver side of the HVAC air distribution housing (2) (Refer to 24 - HEATING & AIR CONDITIONING/CONTROLS/ACTUATOR-BLEND DOOR - REMOVAL).
    Remove the two screws (9) that secure the flange (8) to the front of the HVAC housing (10) near the dash panel.
    Remove the flange from the HVAC housing.
    NOTE: Take proper precautions to protect the carpeting from spilled engine coolant. Have absorbent toweling readily available to clean up any spills.

Remove the retaining clamps (3) that secure the heater core tubes to the heater core (5).
    Disconnect the heater core tubes from the heater core and remove and discard the O-ring seals.
    Carefully pull the heater core tubes through the dash panel.
    Install plugs in, or tape over the opened heater core ports.
    Remove the screw (6) that secures the heater core retaining bracket (4) to the driver side of the HVAC air distribution housing (2).
    Remove the heater core retaining bracket from the air distribution housing.
    Carefully pull the heater core out of the air distribution housing.

coolant drain procedure....

WARNING: Do not remove cylinder block drain plugs or loosen radiator draincock with system hot and under pressure. Serious burns from coolant can occur.

NOTE: Typical drain plug shown in illustration.

DO NOT WASTE reusable coolant. If solution is clean, drain coolant into a clean container for reuse.

Remove radiator pressure cap.
    Loosen radiator petcock.
    Remove drain plug (1).

instrument panel removal......

Remove the two push-pins (4) that secure the instrument panel silencer (1) to the instrument panel bracket (2).
    Pull the instrument panel silencer rearward to disengage it from the brackets (3) located near the dash panel.
    Remove the instrument panel silencer from the vehicle.

Remove the two push-pins (3) that secure the instrument panel silencer (2) to the instrument panel.
    Pull the instrument panel silencer rearward to disengage it from the brackets (1) located near the dash panel.
    Remove the instrument panel silencer from the vehicle.

a/c blend door/actuator removal....

Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable.
    Remove the glove box from the instrument panel (Refer to 23 - BODY/INSTRUMENT PANEL/GLOVE BOX - REMOVAL).
    Remove the three screws (1) that secure the blend door actuator (2) to the passenger side of the HVAC air distribution housing (3).
    Remove the blend door actuator from the air distribution housing and disconnect the HVAC wire harness connector (4) from the actuator.
    Remove the blend door actuator from the vehicle.
    Mod List in order of intstallation:
    window tint, magnaflow catback, airaid cai, srt shocks and springs, srt wheels, AAC interior LED Kit, 180 Tstat, predator 93 oct cai tune, srt sways, jba shorties, and sidewinder cam.
    316 HP/358 FT LBS *before cam*
    best 0-60: 5.58*before cam*
    338 HP/366 FT LBS *after cam*
    best 0-60: 5.33 *after cam*

Share This Thread