Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Hideous Split Loom!!

Looking for options to replace or hide the hideous split loom on our cars. Ruins and cheapens the look of the engine bay. Thanks in advance!
    K-1 Technologies 426 Stroker kit, Custom Wiseco inverted dome pistons, port & polished heads and intake, custom grind Comp 426 cam, Polished T-Trim Vortech supercharger, Kooks Longtube headers with flowmaster exhaust, CPR Fuel rails, Walbro 255 fuel pump, MSD Ignition, ARP mains and studs, ATI Balancer, DSS 1000 HP Shafts, LSD, custom Vaca Performance Tune, KW coilovers, Hotkich sway bars, Asanti 3-piece AF-403, polished and anodized engine bay, RK Sport Heritage wing, Alpine and JL audio system, AAC Oracle Demon Eye headlights, tails, and HID Conversion
    www.projectsrt.com

Post Thanks / Like
    the braided nylon stuff looks a litttle better but it'll be a bitch to get over the harness b/c of all the branches. i've seen people do braided over them, but there's no attractive way to finish off the ends that way.

Posted via LXFMobile

Post Thanks / Like
    I relocated some of my wire loom and added the braided nylon stuff (^^^). I too wanted to have a more finished look, so I used black and gray strips of double sided Velcro to wrap each end. The cheap gray stuff was not holding as well as I would of liked so added some small tie wraps, with the connections hidden towards the back. I will probably try to find some other Velcro with a bit better quality.

When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.
    My friends call me JONN (usually).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAGFX View Post
    I relocated some of my wire loom and added the braided nylon stuff (^^^). I too wanted to have a more finished look, so I used black and gray strips of double sided Velcro to wrap each end. The cheap gray stuff was not holding as well as I would of liked so added some small tie wraps, with the connections hidden towards the back. I will probably try to find some other Velcro with a bit better quality.

Real clean! I like it. What's the install trick?
    2011 Dodge RAM Outdoorsman, Emerald Green, Navigation, Sirius, DVD player. So many mods to choose, so little $$!

Formerly 2007 Dodge Charger R/T.

Post Thanks / Like
    why not just use some shrink wrap on the ends? you can get it in just about any color.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_ View Post
    why not just use some shrink wrap on the ends? you can get it in just about any color.
    It's hard to get the shrink wrap around the connectors.. the PET or Nylon sleeving expands up to three times it's collapsed diameter allowing it to fit around the connectors. I think?

eGo

Who Farted? BEANIE!!!
    !Welcome to the United States of the Offended!
    Mods : Inertia Performance Heads, Inertia v1.1 Cams, MM Ported 71mm Throttle Body, JBA Shorty Headers, Airhammer HO, Predator w/Custom Tune from Stu, RT Brakes, Eibach Pro Kit, RT Exhaust, 20" Vipers

Post Thanks / Like
    That's really nice! You must be using split nylon loom, right? I can't imagine you disassembled each connector to use the continuous loom. Even as much as they expand I doubt it would fit over those connectors.
    How do I.... EVERYTHING!
    SoCalLX - Where Southern California Car Culture Meets Modern Mopar Muscle

Post Thanks / Like
    No trick really, just patience and TLC.

I used several sizes of braided covering, Velcro, tie wraps, scissors, and a lighter to melt the frayed ends. I pulled most of the factory electrical type tape and the split looms in order to reposition and do a better wrap job.

Once all of the covering was on, I put the strips of double sided Velcro at each junction and end. I did it in stages since it did take a bit of time, but I think that it result was worth it. Cheers...

Quote Originally Posted by mnunes View Post
    That's really nice! You must be using split nylon loom, right? I can't imagine you disassembled each connector to use the continuous loom. Even as much as they expand I doubt it would fit over those connectors.
    Yeppers, I used a split loom. I did try a split loom with Velcro on one edge, but it did not work so well with the constantly changing diameter of the loom, plus it look a bit bulky.

I did not want to use heat shrink tubing due to the relatively large plug ends, plus trying to get it over the loom at the transition connections would be a "bear".
    Last edited by MAGFX; 04-07-2009 at 11:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    they make high ratio heat shrink that might work

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_ View Post
    they make high ratio heat shrink that might work
    Could likely get away with some 6:1..

http://cableorganizer.com/heat-shrin...rink-tube.html

I like this stuff as it has an adhesive inside of it.. it helps keep the ends of the nylon mesh from slipping out..

but even 6:1 may not be enough to get over some of the connectors...

Post Thanks / Like
    I just might have to try some of that, at least for the ends. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    No trick really, just patience and TLC.
    That is usually what it takes...clean job Jonn...attention to detail is very obvious...looks sweet...

Horsepower, never enough.

Post Thanks / Like

For a second there, I thought you had put a breather filter on your fuel rail!

Post Thanks / Like
    MAN that's clean! Best i have seen. Once i get my new motor back, i can see this being one of the 1st projects! Thanks for your advice and photos. Gotta love forums!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    there is a company that makes the split "tech flex" looking loom like he has in the pictures.... I think painless wiring sells it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Share This Thread