Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Any truth to this rumor? 09 half shafts...

I've heard it a few times now and I'd love some sort of confirmation if such a thing is possible: are the 09 half shafts stronger than the previous years?

I've heard all sorts of things; they're direct drop ins (RT to RT, SRT to SRT)... they require slight modification... they wont work at all... they're stronger and will handle 500hp at the rears... they're weaker... and on and on...

I want to believe that mother Chrysler saw the light with the half shafts like they did with the track bars. And if, like the track bars, the half shafts are a direct drop in replacement...

Anyone know anything about this for sure?
    On to... ...the next

Post Thanks / Like
    subscribing to this...

Current - 2007 Dodge Magnum sXt - Silver w/Purple Stripes - Daily driver
    Current - 2005 Dodge Magnum R/T - '15 Sublime/'05 Brilliant Black - Weekend warrior
    Current - 2005 Dodge Magnum sXt - Silver - Complete/running parts car
    Current - 2006 Dodge Magnum R/T - Cool Vanilla - parts car
    Current - 2012 Dodge Journey SXT V6 - Pearl White
    Gone - 2015 Chrysler 300S V6 rwd - Bright White
    RIP - 2005 Dodge 'Dirty Whore' Magnum R/T (12/7/11)

Post Thanks / Like
    Me too...
    2006 MSRT8 in Brilliant Black, Options I,II,III, Sunroof and Sideairbags, Free Auto On Headlight Mod, Headlights on wth wipers, Highbeams on with Fog Lights, Hacked Nav, MOPAR Remote Start, BLACKEND I-Pass, Tailgate Plugs, 20% Tint Side Front Windows, Smoke LED Tailights, Airhammer CAI, Kooks LoKo Coated headers, Hi-Flow Cats, JBA 3" Cat Back, eibach sways. Fri Ported Intake, Fri Street Heads, Fri Littleboy Cam, P.I. 2800 Stall Converter, Custom Autometer 5 gauge over the visor pod, B.T. 65 Standard Hurst Shift conversion, TommyZ Hood S.N. 2. 180 degree T-Stat, BT Ported TB.

Post Thanks / Like
    Me Three!

Posted via LXFMobile

Post Thanks / Like
    me four
    Powered & Sponsored by HHP Racing - Your #1 Source for LX Parts & Service

400RWHP THANKS TO HHP STAGE 3 SETUP!

Post Thanks / Like
    hmm, you guys want part numbers?

the 09 RT (road and track pack charger, and police pkg ) use the 215 rear end now, with 3.06 ratio. they have a beefed up axle compared to the SRT's of 05-08 even. the hubs have a larger spline to compensate for the old weak point. as far as i know, wherever the 210 rear is used, the axles are still the same as 05-08's.

left axle: 5180491AB
    right axle: 5180490AB
    rear hubs: 4779572AA
    and take your pick of the 215 rear of your choice. 05-08 SRT and drive shaft, or 09 RT (LC) auto 04593853AA
    Last edited by Fargo59; 01-22-2009 at 04:05 PM. Reason: clarification
    http://www.lxforums.com/board/signaturepics/sigpic18566_2.gif

srt8_hmi is offline I've probably owned what you're driving!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great info!! Thats why your been cup is overflowing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fargo59 View Post
    hmm, you guys want part numbers?

the 09 RT (road and track pack charger, and police pkg ) use the 215 rear end now, with 3.06 ratio. they have a beefed up axle compared to the SRT's of 05-08 even. the hubs have a larger spline to compensate for the old weak point. as far as i know, wherever the 210 rear is used, the axles are still the same as 05-08's.

left axle: 5180491AB
    right axle: 5180490AB
    rear hubs: 4779572AA
    and take your pick of the 215 rear of your choice. 05-08 SRT and drive shaft, or 09 RT (LC) auto 04593853AA
    My HEMI YouTube channel.
    http://www.youtube.com/srt8hmi

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok so if I understand you correctly Fargo:
    1) The 09 and later "RT" axles will not drop into a pre-09 RT; pre-09 RT guys are screwed
    1a) In fact, the pre-09 RT axles are a dead part; no new models are using them.
    2) Pre-09 SRT guys can use 09 and later axles; they're a direct drop in
    3) 09 axles are beefier than pre-09 SRT axles (and obviously than pre-09 RT axles). How much power they can take is yet to be seen.

Do I have all that right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolVanilla View Post
    Ok so if I understand you correctly Fargo:
    1) The 09 and later "RT" axles will not drop into a pre-09 RT; pre-09 RT guys are screwed
    1a) In fact, the pre-09 RT axles are a dead part; no new models are using them.
    2) Pre-09 SRT guys can use 09 and later axles; they're a direct drop in
    3) 09 axles are beefier than pre-09 SRT axles (and obviously than pre-09 RT axles). How much power they can take is yet to be seen.

Do I have all that right?
    so take a srt rear and drop it in for the pre 09 RT's and use the newer axles...right??

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Motor View Post
    so take a srt rear and drop it in for the pre 09 RT's and use the newer axles...right??
    If true I think that means that aftermarket axles would be cheaper, if I am reading all this right.
    "LxF welcomes with open arms all members, regardless of social status, creed, color, sexual preference, or anything else. The only thing we discriminate against is douchebags."

Check out Darth Hemi in the LxForums Garage

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Motor View Post
    Might be of equal cost when all is said and done, when compared to a set of those 500hp DSS axles. I dunno. Never priced it out.

However, for those of us that have a Quaife, that idea becomes ridiculously expensive since we'd need to (want to) keep the functionality, which would mean a new SRT ready Quaife...

Post Thanks / Like
    The srt engineers confirmed that yes the half shafts were beefed up a bit. They did say though, that the auto rt and lower (se ect) got weaker ones than the rt 6 speed, and srt models. The later also got limited slip differentials.

Post Thanks / Like
    new axles need the new rear hubs, but yes. some 09s still use the 05-08 210 rear, but only in standard RT chargers, and 300C's. performance models come with the 215 rear. when i go to the 215 rear, i'll be using this shopping list. comes out to about a grand. axles are about 150 bucks, hubs are 100. rear diff is 600ish. and uses the 3 bolt flange.

Post Thanks / Like
    I imagine they are just as expensive or more so than the original 215 mm axles?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fargo59 View Post
    new axles need the new rear hubs, but yes. some 09s still use the 05-08 210 rear, but only in standard RT chargers, and 300C's. performance models come with the 215 rear. when i go to the 215 rear, i'll be using this shopping list. comes out to about a grand. axles are about 150 bucks, hubs are 100. rear diff is 600ish. and uses the 3 bolt flange.
    Roger that. And you expect this setup to be as strong as, say, the 500hp axles DSS currently offers for the 5.7?

Can you confirm that this 'shopping list' also gets you the limited slip diff rmf mentions? If so, and all for a grand, that becomes a real viable option, especially given the almost 2x cost of 5.7 axles alone. And those of us with Quaifes might be able to make all that back via selling it off.

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Share This Thread