Post Thanks / Like

Talking How to: REMOVE UNSIGHTLY HOOD GAP for $1

Had an epiphany last night, on how to remove that hood gap that isn't consistant across the hood/fascia line. This process greatly minimizes the impact the hoods' irregularity has on the body gap.

Very easy procedure:

Step 1, go to Lowes/Home Depot/Ace Hardware/etc, purchase 2 bags (or 3 each)

Step 2, open your hood

Step 3, Remove the outer 2 Drivers side fascia pins by prying up on the round center with a screwdriver, gaining enough space to slide a panel removal tool to finish the removal. You can do it with other tools, but I can't guarantee that you won't damage/marr the fastener.

Step 4, insert 2 rubber washers inbetween the fascia and the core support at the outboard fastener, and 1 under the mid fastener. Your application may require a different number of washers, depending on your irregular hood gap.

NOTE: This procedure does not shrink the gap, it takes care of the unevenness.

Step 5, reinstall fasteners, close hood

Step 6, Stand back and enjoy
    Dislikes fnkychkn disliked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    hmm... I notice that my 300 has a similar issue... beans for you...
    I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you fail to understand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice simple easy fix! Beans for you!

Post Thanks / Like
    My car had the same issue. I used rubber washers that you would use for a garden hose. I think they are about 1/8" thick. Worked perfectly, thaks for the tip. Any idea how to get rid of the huge gap between the hood and the facia? I guess you either need to find a way to move the facia back or the hood forward. I think this might be because when I bought the car I had the dealer install a Chrysler grille. I am annoyed because the facia doesn't seem to be put back together properly and some of the plastic rivets are missing The plastic inner fender is not installed properly and seems like it may be rubbing the paint off the underside of the fender. The piss off with this is I should have installed the grille myself. I thought the dealer would have done a more professional job. I should have been tipped off when I looked at the four fasteners at the top of the facia. When I remove fasteners like this I use the appropriate tool. It looks like the guy at the dealer may have used a steak knife, maybe a can opener or something. I guess the trimmer was busy that day, maybe it was the lot boy that installed it. Shame on the dealer. But like that old cliche says they are only concerned with getting the car over the curb. After that they don't give a dam!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post
    hmm... I notice that my 300 has a similar issue... beans for you...
    So does mine, when I get back form this weeks business trip, I am going to try this...thanks!
    05 Red Inferno Magnum SXT-Traded
    05 Red Inferno Magnum R/T- Traded
    06 Silver 300C SRT8 RWHP 371 RWTQ 374
    Options I,II Sunroof,Side Curtain AirBags BIG HEMI

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow...Never really paid attention. I am such a such for a cheap mod that I will be doing my too!
    [IMG][/IMG]

LMI
    Hammer Intake
    * Corsa Xtreme Exhaust * 22" Vossen 78s * SRT Rocker Panels * Modern Muscle 85mm Throttle Body
    Diablosport Trinity 93oct * Hotchkis Lowering Kit * Weathertech Mats * GTS Blackouts * Color Matched Rear Window Wing * Mopar Lower Lip * Mopar Pedals & Door Sills
    * Check me out on Cardmain: http://www.cardomain.com/galler/15699699

Post Thanks / Like
    I did it, I found the exact same rubber rings at Lowes, I had to use 6 rings total,

Driver side 2 / 2 / 1 center 0 / 0 / 1 pass. side

Before:

After:
    Last edited by joseph; 02-10-2007 at 04:06 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Husker View Post
    So does mine, when I get back form this weeks business trip, I am going to try this...thanks!
    Did you do it?
    Pictures?

Post Thanks / Like
    Another happy customer, thanks!

-- Tommy
    Last edited by Tommy T.; 02-27-2007 at 06:17 PM.

My other rides:
    1995 Chevrolet Impala SS . . . 260 HP / 330 lb-ft . . . all stock
    2005 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT . . .Hemi-powered Lone Star Edition

Inferno Red RT ordered 7/12/2004 . . . gave up on it for a Cool Vanilla RT.

Post Thanks / Like
    2006 Charger R/T Midnight Blue, AirHammer, Hood Struts, BT Catch Can, BT Pink Thingy Mod, BMC catch can hose upgrade, FLXC Member
    2011 RAM Crew Cab Outdoorsman- Nav, Remote Start, 3.92 Gears, Alpine Stero, Mopar Bed Rug w/RAM Head, Mopar Black Side Steps, Tint, Weather Tech In Channel Vent Visors

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a similar issue with mine, but I noticed that once I installed the hood shocks (the How-To was found and followed from this forum...somewhere) all gaps and un-evenness vanished. Obviously, this won't work for all, but hey, it also cost me eight additional dollars

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by iathyberg View Post
    I had a similar issue with mine, but I noticed that once I installed the hood shocks (the How-To was found and followed from this forum...somewhere) all gaps and un-evenness vanished. Obviously, this won't work for all, but hey, it also cost me eight additional dollars
    Just a heads-up, you're responding to a thirteen-year-old thread.
    "Many true sports cars can be outrun by a powerful sedan." - Sir William Lyons, Chairman, British Leyland

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh I know. I'm also sitting here and reading through the vast majority of them getting all caught up. You forget the part where I'm still building and modifying a 14 year old car....so there's that lol

Share This Thread