Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    23
    Post Thanks / Like

    Apache Heads on 6.1 bottom

    6.4 Heads on 6.1 cammed block, has anyone done this ? how much gains should i expect?

    or maybe loose of power.... :/ i know that the CR will drop a little something around 10.2:1 ?

    i will use stock 6.4 pushrods and between 040 and 050 gasket thickness for PTV clearance


    engine has arrington SR2B camshaft ported heads and intake, 90mm TB dyno shows 437whp/

    I have a pair of 6.4 heads with pushrods, springs, and covers, but is it worth to install them on the 6.1 bottom?
    Last edited by 57hemi; 07-24-2020 at 09:52 AM.



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,608
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can I ask why? Why Apache heads and work included over porting what you have? What's your mod list? What's your overall goal? Ie drag,street or bragging rights?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ny
    Posts
    581
    Post Thanks / Like
    i installed 6.2 heads on a 6.1 block. they are pretty much the same head as a 6.4 just different material and some reinforment built into the casting. they seem to flow the same as some ported 6.1 heads if not slightly better. hp increase was only a few hp. mainly switched for the strength increase. running some higher boost pressures and wanted the extra insurance.

    Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    10 srt8 6speed
    inertia 393 stroker
    kenne bell 4.2LC
    supporting mods

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    23
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Z View Post
    Can I ask why? Why Apache heads and work included over porting what you have? What's your mod list? What's your overall goal? Ie drag,street or bragging rights?
    my 6.1 heads are already ported but I'm curious of if there will be any gains of that 6.4 heads swap... they have bigger valves.. but lower CR
    Thanks Jay Z thanked for this post

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    23
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GIN View Post
    i installed 6.2 heads on a 6.1 block. they are pretty much the same head as a 6.4 just different material and some reinforment built into the casting. they seem to flow the same as some ported 6.1 heads if not slightly better. hp increase was only a few hp. mainly switched for the strength increase. running some higher boost pressures and wanted the extra insurance.

    Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    yes, i've got the BGE heads, same as the 6.2 heads but with 6.1 intake bolt paterns

    Thank you for info, I will not use boost unless i change the bottom, just curious about how much gains of the 6.4 heads vs 6.1 ported ( stock valves)

    what gasket thickness did you used for those 6.2 heads?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ny
    Posts
    581
    Post Thanks / Like
    i drilled and tapped the 6.2 heads to accept 6.1 manifold bolt pattern. running .080" head gaskets, my pistons come out the block .020"
    they must flow more since my compression dropped some but picked up some power.

    Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by GIN; 07-25-2020 at 03:11 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Apex, NC
    Posts
    382
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have ported apaches on my 6.1 based 426. Not sure of the direct gains since I did some other stuff at the same time. All I remember is you'll need the 6.4 valve covers too
    2009 Challenger SRT8 Brilliant Black - Gone
    2012 Challenger SRT8 Pitch Black - Gone
    2006 Chrysler 300c SRT8 Silver 426 - Gone
    2006 JEEP Grand Cherokee SRT8 Pitch Black Forged 426 stroker, ported apaches, MTCM, BWoody CAI, R1 Rotors, 87mm tb, 3200 stall, Stage II VB, LT headers, 3" exhaust, hi-flow cats. PB: [email protected]
    Dislikes Jay Z disliked this post

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,608
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 57hemi View Post
    my 6.1 heads are already ported but I'm curious of if there will be any gains of that 6.4 heads swap... they have bigger valves.. but lower CR
    I'm with ya. I know Apache heads are expensive but also interested if anyone has went from ported 6.1 heads to them and the gains. In it

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    23
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GIN View Post
    i drilled and tapped the 6.2 heads to accept 6.1 manifold bolt pattern. running .080" head gaskets, my pistons come out the block .020"
    they must flow more since my compression dropped some but picked up some power.

    Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    wow 080 what camshaft lift do you have? i saw a post that cometics' 051 are enought for PTV clearance with srtmax cam, i've got an arrington sr2b wondering if i can put there something thinner to get a higher CR, will have to make some measurements...

    How much power did you get from this swap?


    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Z View Post
    I'm with ya. I know Apache heads are expensive but also interested if anyone has went from ported 6.1 heads to them and the gains. In it
    sure, will go on the dyno after that swap if everything is ok

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    23
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by madcoder View Post
    I have ported apaches on my 6.1 based 426. Not sure of the direct gains since I did some other stuff at the same time. All I remember is you'll need the 6.4 valve covers too
    yes, i have the valve covers, springs and pushrods also, just don't know what min gasket thikness can be used

Tags for this Thread

Share This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •