Post Thanks / Like

While I'm in there, cam?

I bought a low mileage R/T Magnum and will be removing the heads to replace the intake valve seats. I'm contemplating a mild cam install, perhaps an HHP stage 1.

The car is a daily driver. I live in California. I don't want headaches. Will it cost low end TQ?

Thanks in advance for any insights, these forums are really great!

Post Thanks / Like
    I say do it, but only if you really want more performance. I know that may sounds like a stupid thing to say (who doesnt want more performance), but if you are happy with how it is leave it alone and save your money and avoid the risk of creating a mechanical problem you dont have now.

Depending on the cam you may also need new pushrods, tune, lifters, springs, etc though...so be careful depending on your budget. I started with the "maybe just a mild cam" idea and it has quickly turned into something much, much more...its a slippery slope

What part of CA you in?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T: K&N CAI, SRT headers, Magnaflow 3" cat-back, 180 degree t-stat, Diablo Trinity T1000, 300 SRT rims.
    Likes Jon Richard liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in Long Beach, SoCal

Really I am satisfied with it as it is. My motivation is precautionary/ preventative. At minimum I aim to have new, larger intake valve seats pressed in and replace the lifters because I've read too many stories of dropped seats and lunched cams.

But a little sportier never hurts and it does seam an advantageous time to massage the heads and add a mild cam.

I'd rather be doing brake and suspension upgrades but I really like this car, want it to last, and intend to get out ahead of these potential issues, but I don't want to create more issues trying to get a marginal bump in performance.

Post Thanks / Like
    I’d only do it for the performance change. Overall, it will be more fun to drive. You also need to be prepared for a little less stock feel when coasting, etc. If the cam is not perfectly tuned, you may get a little surge when coasting at idle at certain conditions. It’s not a big deal, but just be prepared for something that’s not stock. Much of it depends on the cam you select and the tuner you use.

Sent from my iPhone using Scat Pack Forums
    SCOTT57RT
    2007 RT Charger 5.7L - Black Crystal Pearl
    Mods: DiabloSport Predator - InertiaTuned, MagnaFlow CAT Back Exhaust, JBA High Flow Cats, JBA Headers, 185Tstat, 85mm CNC Throttle Body, 6psi-P1SC Procharger Supercharger, Blown Spartan Cam, 20x9 FR SRT8 Challenger Wheels/Nitto555G2, Mygig, BC Racing Coilovers, Willwood Brakes&Rotors, 3.06 Getrag

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in the bay area. This can also turn into a slippery slope, but you may also want to look into eagle heads for your mag. They flow better than pre eagle and dont have the valve seat drop issue. When I was looking into new valve seats I found it was actually cheaper to get eagle heads than to have the head work done.

There is a lot of other things you have to do to make the eagle heads work but if going for performance that's another option that may be about as costly as the head work you have planned.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you don't wanna lose low end and less headaches, a comp 260 might fit the bill nicely

Post Thanks / Like
    Curious myself here....how do cam swaps work in Cali?
    I have seen (very few) 50 state legal aftermarket cams, and its not easy to hide one, so how does this work come inspection time?

Thanks
    Please don't PM me, I don't always have time to go through them!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I have seen (very few) 50 state legal aftermarket cams, and its not easy to hide one, so how does this work come inspection time?

Thanks
    I don't know about the 5.7s, but I am running the HHP S2R here and no issues...you just need a performance friendly smog tech. So no honestly, it doesn't "work", but you can find somebody to make it work.

Galactus hungers...
    Current
    His: 2006 MSRT8, K&N CAI, built and tuned by MPR Motorsports (WhiteHemi), forged pistons and a HHP Stg 2r cam, HHP HEMITUNER TCM, Paramount Stg 2 valve body, Mopar Performance high stall converter, Flowmaster Super 10s, 180° t-stat, Tranzformer, Street Edge coilovers, 275/35/20 Continental ExtremeContact DW (square), otherwise bone stock.
    397rwhp/399rwtq
    Personal best 8.473 in the 1/8 and spinning like a fool, on old Toyos, pre Tranzformer, old suspension, and old stock engine, new times to come.

Hers: 2010 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI, bone stock and slow as a rock...
    MOPAR360

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking into this still. Appears smog tests are changing again and is all performed through OBD2 port, no more tail pipe sniff. So I would wager, and read elsewhere, that as long as there are no codes or parameters outside of a baseline you'd pass. My question to you is how does a 50 state legal trinity work with a cam swap?

Quote Originally Posted by Magnoom View Post
    If you don't wanna lose low end and less headaches, a comp 260 might fit the bill nicely
    Thank you, much more reading to do but that looks to be a potential choice!

Quote Originally Posted by ChoochG View Post
    I'm in the bay area. This can also turn into a slippery slope, but you may also want to look into eagle heads for your mag.
    Indeed. Already getting cold feet thinking about how close I'd be to a 400ci stroker if I go too far. Cheapest head work, lifters and cam is already 1900 in parts.

Quote Originally Posted by SCOTT57RT View Post
    I’d only do it for the performance change. Overall, it will be more fun to drive. You also need to be prepared for a little less stock feel when coasting, etc. If the cam is not perfectly tuned, you may get a little surge when coasting at idle at certain conditions.
    Roger that. I really want to focus on rear gears and BR9 brakes and sways for the fun aspect.

Right now the cost is making me think I should just run a 190° T-stat with high quality oil in the case and save my money for that stroker should this motor frag. I think I'll run an oil sample next service too.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks
    The smog requirements are different based on what county you live in, but for 99 and newer (I think) cars they don't do the sniffer in the tailpipe. There's just a visual inspection and they check the codes. I passed smog in November with my RT Mag with a CA legal K&N CAI, SRT headers/mids, magnaflow exhaust, and the non-50 state legal diablosport 91 CAI tune still installed.