Post Thanks / Like

Got a Used cam, have some wear questions.

Finally got a Sidewinder now I have some questions about the wear on it. Looks mostly like normal wear but a few lobes.

0BC93582-20BF-4C91-90CC-6F2CAE673910.jpg
    looks like a few flat spots but feels smooth.

2D64726F-F513-4CBB-B362-626A6170B656.jpg
    another “flat” spot next to the pitting.

Can I smooth the wear marks out by wet sanding?
    Does it need to be polished or reworked at a machine shop?
    If so who and where? I’m in Jacksonville Fl. Cost?

Am I just over thinking this whole thing?

Thanks.
    B

Mopar CAI, Mopar Performance Torque Converter, MTCM, Tranzformer, 170 stat, Diablo 93 CAI tune + 5% fuel, RT Junkey’s ESP Mod, JBA shorties, cat delete thru Thrush Rattlers, UPR Catch Can, Eibach lowering springs, Mopar rear diffuser, Mopar front chin, Hurst T handle. 07 AWD Charger RT.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rework maybe! But, what's the cost?

Me I would ask for my money back.

The only used cams I have ever bought came from a running engine that I personally heard running. Once out of the engine it is checked per OEM specs. I hate doing things twice, like cam changes.

Sent via Tapatalk
    Last edited by hemi_57; 06-08-2019 at 02:35 PM.
    2017 Granite Crystal Scat Pack
    My Scat Pack Web Site

Post Thanks / Like
    Using it would be a gamble, I wouldn't put in my engine, hate doing same work twice.
    2013 Chrysler 300S, 6.4 BGE with 6.4 SRT cam, AIT 18% OD pulley, E-force with 2.75 pulley, fastman 84+4 mm throttle body, 1 7/8 kooks long tubes w/hi-flow cats, Magnaflow Cat-back, FTI 2800 stall, Trans built by Hellraiser, Dings Racing valve body and tune, Getrag 3.73, Walbro 400LPH, DW 65# inj. LG aluminum rad. Dual SRT fans. Complete 4 piston Brembo upgrade. Stage one MOPAR springs, XIX X39 22x9 +15 - 22x10.5 +22 with NITTO 420 275/40R22 - 295/30R22

Post Thanks / Like
    There is ZERO way I would ever think about putting that cam into my engine. That cam is junk in my book.
    Likes Detroit Muscle300 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Ya it kinda sucks, I specifically asked the guy about any pitting or flat-spots. No reply on that matter but sent pictures and video managing to hide the damage. I got it a couple of weeks ago but just inspected it the other day. I will try to contact him for refund. Glad I used PayPal and have some buyer protection.

Post Thanks / Like
    Polish it out

Sent from my iPhone using Scat Pack Forums

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 4DoorMuscle View Post
    There is ZERO way I would ever think about putting that cam into my engine. That cam is junk in my book.
    I don't know if I'd say junk but it's not getting dropped into a new build. Over 100k miles and it's a toy, polish it and have fun. As long as it's not your daily lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Just me but I don’t understand why anyone would put used parts in a motor. Specially if you take aprt the motor to then put used back in. But that is me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Guess I should get ahold of BFNY and see what they have to say.

Post Thanks / Like
    The second a cam is put in a car and cranked over it starts to wear particularly to that engine setup. I would NEVER buy a used cam as attractive as then offer may be. Even the same engines side by side may have different tolerances, not to mention different parts used in the car the cam came out of.

Also my cousin who builds his own motors and has gathered info over the past 30 years and has been advised by many professionals is to never put a used cam in your car. Stock or otherwise. Not worth the risk of damaging anything else

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by trippytro View Post
    The second a cam is put in a car and cranked over it starts to wear particularly to that engine setup. I would NEVER buy a used cam as attractive as then offer may be. Even the same engines side by side may have different tolerances, not to mention different parts used in the car the cam came out of.

Also my cousin who builds his own motors and has gathered info over the past 30 years and has been advised by many professionals is to never put a used cam in your car. Stock or otherwise. Not worth the risk of damaging anything else

These are not flat tappets. They are not picky or need to be matched. As long as the rollers are in good shape and the cam is in good shape then ship it.
    Hard to tell from the pics how bad that cam really is but it looks like it will clean up fine with a quick polish job.
    OP- if you do not feel comfortable running it then ship it to me. Ill pay for shipping
    Likes Kid_Storm, BlackAce liked this post