Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

DIY -6.1 manifold porting and polish

So as some of you know I’ve been on the hunt for a 6.1 manifold for my stroker build. And as of late I’ve heard a bunch on the topic of porting said manifold.
    So recently I scored a fully dressed 6.1 manifold on eBay for 475$. That said I figured since I got a great price I’d have a go at the porting myself. Worth noting , I work as a structural iron worker here in ny. I’m a certified welder as well. So manipulation of metal is kinda my thing. Any way , I had a couple of hours today so this is how far I got. Please feel free to chime in with ideas or if you see me fu(k up DO NOT HESITATE TO CALL ME OUT. here it goes .......started with the tray:
    now here is where it feels like there is some cast leftoveron to the holes feeding the heads. I opened them up from 3/4” to 1” (wonder if I should go bigger)some of the tools

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes punisher69 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Having done some hand porting I know the work it takes. Looks good. If I ever come up with some money for some heads I’m debating having them extrude honed.

2016 Charger Scat Pack
    LMI Intake
    3.70 gears
    Longtube headers
    Borla Atak
    Active exhaust delete
    Hemifever Tuning
    2016 Charger Scat PackLMI Intake3.70 gearsLongtube headersBorla AtakActive exhaust deleteHemifever Tuning
    Likes ronan978 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

You gonna put it on a dyno after?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vedros74 View Post
    You gonna put it on a dyno after?

Yessir , first dyno with the 426 ran 488rwhp and 518rwtq with the oem 6.4 manifold.

Post Thanks / Like
    When you pay for a port job, what typically do they port and how much? jw bc of your 1" statement might do more

Post Thanks / Like
    What are the 3/4" holes for?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBL.DWN View Post
    What are the 3/4" holes for?
    Those holes feed the ports going into the head.

Last edited by ronan978; 02-11-2019 at 08:43 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Z View Post
    When you pay for a port job, what typically do they port and how much? jw bc of your 1" statement might do more
    That’s the kind of info and thinking I’m talking about ..... do I go big or go home , or be conservative???

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, let me start with "I have never had a 6.1 manifold in my hands".

Now, only from studying the pics, those holes on the inside of the manifold (which are only open to the chamber created by that lower plate) seem to be there for 2 reasons.

It SEEMS as if that's a built in resonance chamber, to keep the intake howl down.

It also SEEMS that the only air that can enter that chamber is through the vacuum nipples at the front and the back of the manifold. That leads me to believe that the chamber also creates vacuum for those nipples.

I'm hoping 2 things for you. 1- that enlarging those holes doesn't create a howl you can't deal with (Yeah, I know you're gonna boost it soon enough).

The other, more importantly, that enlarging those holes doesn't create enough difference to lessen the vacuum on those nipples. Think of a shop vac trying to pick up things with a 12" diameter hose....it won't work as well as it would with a 1 1/4" hose.

I hope I'm wrong and that isn't the case. I'm only going by what I can glean from the pics.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Now I don’t know beans about these intakes. The feeding ports, they are to feed the plenum from the throttle body opening? All the air into the ports goes though those little holes?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by punisher69 View Post
    Ok, let me start with "I have never had a 6.1 manifold in my hands".

Now, only from studying the pics, those holes on the inside of the manifold (which are only open to the chamber created by that lower plate) seem to be there for 2 reasons.

It SEEMS as if that's a built in resonance chamber, to keep the intake howl down.

It also SEEMS that the only air that can enter that chamber is through the vacuum nipples at the front and the back of the manifold. That leads me to believe that the chamber also creates vacuum for those nipples.

I'm hoping 2 things for you. 1- that enlarging those holes doesn't create a howl you can't deal with (Yeah, I know you're gonna boost it soon enough).

The other, more importantly, that enlarging those holes doesn't create enough difference to lessen the vacuum on those nipples. Think of a shop vac trying to pick up things with a 12" diameter hose....it won't work as well as it would with a 1 1/4" hose.

I hope I'm wrong and that isn't the case. I'm only going by what I can glean from the pics.

I was kinda thinking the same about the Venturi, but then again , if this is designed for a 6.1 liter pump and now I’m running a 7.0 liter pump I should be flowing some more air especially with the heads/cam. Then later , I’ll just be cramming the air into it too.

Post Thanks / Like
    I will take a Video later today to show it’s flow

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ronan978 View Post
    I will take a Video later today to show it’s flow

So I'm looking at it correctly, the Tbody doesn't feed that section at all, only the vacuum ports?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by punisher69 View Post
    So I'm looking at it correctly, the Tbody doesn't feed that section at all, only the vacuum ports?

Yes. The throttle body fees the rest of the manifold. That small plenum in the middle fed by those holes directly feeds into the head ports. Also why I didn’t want to go “too” big. I went from 3/4” to just a hair under an inch.

Another note , when it does come to a blower , obviously a centri at this point , opening those holes further would make more sense?

Post Thanks / Like

Red is air coming from tb, green would be from those holes to heads. Looks like the air spirals around in the plenum and is sucked into the holes tou can see the fins on the bottom plate as well , for the spiral

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast