Post Thanks / Like

2006 5.7L cam swap

Is it possible to swap the cams on a 2006 5.7L hemi without pulling the heads?? I thought I read an article somewhere where they clocked the cam to push the lifters up then removed the cam out the front like usual. Anybody have any input??

2006 Dodge Daytona (Top Banana)
    1-7/8" MAXIMIZER Longtube headers w/hiflow cats/Corsa Sport Catback/CAI/EGR delete/Leather R/T steering wheel w/EVIC controls/91 octane tune by Johan

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven’t personally done it.. but have seen talks and videos of people removing the valve covers, removing rocker arms and push rods. Then removing timing cover and all that and spinning the cam a few times to push the lifters up into their bores then quickly trying to install new cam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    You can but if the car has a lot of miles on the clock it would be a good idea to pull the heads and replace the lifters with Hellcats.
    Likes WontStopTheFUnk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking At my lifters from my recent repair, it does not appear they failed per say, but more had spun so many damn times the needle bearings wore down to nothing causing excessive play in the rollers. Mine had 145K and 2 whiped lobes with another 2 lifters about to do the same. If you have high mileage would deff do new lifters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, you need to use magnets down pushrod holes that magnetize lifters to bore.
    Done it at least a dozen times. Used cheap pencil sized extendable pick up tools from Autozone. Just taped the extended up to keep them from hanging up and pulling all way out when you are done. Happened the first time, then taped and all was good

Sent from my SM-G925V using Scat Pack Forums mobile app
    2008 Magnum BB R/T Hemi Registry # 1584 PPP Stage 2 Cam, JBA Shorty Headers, JBA High Flow cats, Heartthrob Exhaust, Eagle Intake, LMI Intake, MTCM, Blue Tops, ProTorque Converter, SRT Rear, Techo Strut Brace, lowered, Tuned by Diablotoona SOLD--2005 Mineral Gray AWD Hemi Registry # 1154

Quote Originally Posted by Hemissary View Post
    For the work being performed, length is far more important than diameter :^)
    Likes run2jeepn liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thinking either the Comp 273 or 274 cam. I want some lope!

Comp 274 cam on 5.7 challenger - YouTube

Post Thanks / Like
    No need for anything fancy. The lifters get held by the guide. Just rotate the cam a few times and they will be pushed out of the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Scat Pack Forums

Post Thanks / Like
    Johan suggested the 274 cam and said he has tunes for it. Soooooooooo, I'm going to do an MDS delete, change valve springs and pushrods. Short of pulling the heads, can I use the OEM lifters with all these head mods??

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultrakla$$ic View Post
    Thinking either the Comp 273 or 274 cam. I want some lope!

Comp 274 cam on 5.7 challenger - YouTube

Depends on the year of the engine. The pre Eagle engine would use the 273 while the Eagle engines use the 274.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 4DoorMuscle View Post
    Depends on the year of the engine. The pre Eagle engine would use the 273 while the Eagle engines use the 274.
    That's what I was thinking when I was reading about the cams. The 274 uses the VVT and I know mine doesn't have it but I thought maybe Comp made a 274 for my old 06. Lol

Post Thanks / Like
    No the Comp 274 is only for the Eagle 09+ Hemi's It won't even fit into the engine. For lifters YES you will want to use OEM. The current revision of the Hemi lifter is the Hellcat lifter. Anyone swapping cams is using them. They are what will be going into my engine this weekend. They are around $360.00 for a complete set from eastcoastmoparts.com . For springs you will want PSI 1511's and you can use MOPAR 6.1 SRT pushrods they are $70 for a complete set also from eastcoast. It will be a lot easier to swap springs,retainers and valve seals with the heads off the engine since they have to come off anyways.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes it can be done without pulling heads,, Ive done it on new replacement engines. Not sure I would be very comfortable doing it on a engine with over 60k on it though. The lifter sit in the holding yoke pretty well after rotating the came a few times with the rockers and pushrods removed due to the more horizontal angle of the lifter bore (compared to most other engines) .