Post Thanks / Like

Heads milling compression???

Alright have to admit when it comes to this kinda stuff I can get a little lost. So here goes.

I’m building a pre eagle motor with ported eagle heads. I talked to Erik at BFNY and he recommended running .060” head gasket which would bring me close to 11.5:1 compression. I calculated .070” but he would know better than me. I’m having my heads cleaned up at the machine shop so I can send them out to be get ported. The machine shop recommended the heads be milled at .004”.

So now that will that affect my compression and bring me higher than 11.5:1? Am I overthinking this or am I fine? You’re talking the thickness of a hair basically.
    Last edited by BlackAce; 06-14-2018 at 02:00 PM.
    2006 Dodge Charger R/T - 85mm Throttle Body, AFE Stage 2 CAI, 6.1 Intake Manifold, Modern Muscle Intake Adapters, 219/223 cam, 6.1 pushrods, Manley NEXTEK Valve Springs, 6.1 Timing Chain, 6.1 oil pump, Edelbrock Titech Headers, Flowmasters X pipe, Thrush 2 Chamber Mufflers, Flowmaster Resonators and tailpipes, 3200 Edge Converter, Mopar TCM, Tranzformer, Carbon Fiber Pistol Grip Shifter, 3.06, Brake Performance drilled and slotted rotors.

Post Thanks / Like
    It will increase compression but not much at all. I wouldn’t worry about it. If your getting head work done, then have them open the chambers up. Unshroud the valves and remove/angle the quench pads.

Sent from my iPhone using Scat Pack Forums
    Thanks BlackAce thanked for this post
    Likes BlackAce liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Heads milling compression???

Quote Originally Posted by DBL.DWN View Post
    It will increase compression but not much at all. I wouldn’t worry about it. If your getting head work done, then have them open the chambers up. Unshroud the valves and remove/angle the quench pads.

Thanks! That’s what I was thinking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any pics of angle/remove the quench pad? I didn’t know what to do with them when I worked on my heads, I just cleaned the casting roughness and polished the pads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DBL.DWN View Post

How precisely does one unshroud either valve on Eagle heads - when there's less than 0.100 inset from the deck surface and up against the cylinder wall?

To the OP; leave the quench areas alone. The deck surface cleanup will not significantly alter the static compression value.
    Last edited by Hemissary; 06-14-2018 at 04:44 PM.
    2005 Magnum RT---Viper Venom Red----440ci Aluminum block----Short Runner Valve Intake--410mm BAER 6S Monoblock Extreme--Eibach Multi-Pro 2

Custom--Grille Work--Hood--Headlights--Side View Mirrors--Rear Spoiler--Rear Diffuser--SRV Control System--Turbine Wheels

Thanks BlackAce thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah I saw pre eagle. Didn’t see eagle heads. Disregard me, nothing to see here, carry on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BradJo9 View Post
    Ah I saw pre eagle. Didn’t see eagle heads. Disregard me, nothing to see here, carry on.

Apologies BradJo9, I selected the wrong post to quote.

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad you did, I thought he was talking about pre eagle heads until you pointed that out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemissary View Post

How precisely does one unshroud either valve on Eagle heads - when there's less than 0.100 inset from the deck surface and up against the cylinder wall?

To the OP; leave the quench areas alone. The deck surface cleanup will not significantly alter the static compression value.
    With a carbide bit.