Page 65 of 65 FirstFirst ... 1555636465
    Post Thanks / Like
    after spending all afternoon and this evening watching football and reading all 64 pages, damn right I'm bumping this alive and to the top. good read, every page.

Just not a fan of those collectors on the equal length ebay headers, the non equal length ebay headers seem to have a better collector design but still not very desirable. I know if I'm putting headers on my 6.4 I want a better collector design. Some of the mid pipes I saw on this thread are iffy as well, to many joints, necking up and down, the whole idea is to be a smooth as possible in the exhaust. no sudden changes, kind of counter productive putting headers on, gain good flow in one area and ruin it in another with crappy mid pipe builds. Not one set up in the 64 pages I read I would have been happy with, crappy merge collector designs, crush exhaust pipes- meaning not mandrel bent, exhaust adapters that go smaller then larger back to smaller, using junk adapters, if you have welds that are just inches apart, you not doing it right. you just cobbling sh!t together.

to get the most out of your exhaust everything needs to have a smooth transition, your coming off a 3" collector, chop that crappy ball /socket joint off and use a normal slip on expanded end 3" pipe and carry that 3" all the way to the catback exhaust anyways. if you use a cat in the mid pipe, you need to cut that cat housing to where the 3" pipe butts up to it perfect and weld it, the transition to the cat should be free of any ledges- meaning dont shove a cat into a pipe or shove a pipe over the cat. all of your cuts and welds need to be butt welds.

it's fine to have a few connection points like you mids fitting over your collector and using a band clamp same with catback. other than that everything else in that area needs to be butt welds and mandrel bends.

so many of you jam this and that into each pipe to neck it down or up, if you look inside your pipe and it will look like crap and nothing is smooth.

Exhaust is about being smooth and gentle.

Great read, a lot of good information, these headers are still on ebay for 225 i saw. I think if I bought the ebay equal length headers I would have to rebuild the collectors to take advantage of the equal length, build a merge cone inside and extend the collector out and tapper at a slower rate to a 3" o.d and then carry that 3" all the way to the cat back to allow the exhaust plenty of time to organize the exhaust wave ( to work for me) and some time to cool down to slowly transfer it down the 2 3/4". there's probably about 10 hp/tq or more through out the curve just having a great merge collector. there is power in a merge collectors. and probably several more just paying attention to mid pipe design vs a gobbled mess i have seen here.

Before i saw this I thought my option was JBA headers for 600 and other for higher. might look around there are some company's that sell fancy collectors, might be worth reworking these cheap ebay headers.

Thanks for a great thread. hope to keep it going.
    2013 Challenger 3.6, Bought new 1/31/2013,BT cc,180*stat,Sprintex S/C 60mm pulley,ported tb,intake,custom head tubes/ mid pipes w/stock cats,Corsa 2 3/4" catback,Htuner TCM,3.90 gear, [email protected] 1.78 60ft 2980 ft DA
    Likes ronan978 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ddeennis View Post
    after spending all afternoon and this evening watching football and reading all 64 pages, damn right I'm bumping this alive and to the top. good read, every page.

Just not a fan of those collectors on the equal length ebay headers, the non equal length ebay headers seem to have a better collector design but still not very desirable. I know if I'm putting headers on my 6.4 I want a better collector design. Some of the mid pipes I saw on this thread are iffy as well, to many joints, necking up and down, the whole idea is to be a smooth as possible in the exhaust. no sudden changes, kind of counter productive putting headers on, gain good flow in one area and ruin it in another with crappy mid pipe builds. Not one set up in the 64 pages I read I would have been happy with, crappy merge collector designs, crush exhaust pipes- meaning not mandrel bent, exhaust adapters that go smaller then larger back to smaller, using junk adapters, if you have welds that are just inches apart, you not doing it right. you just cobbling sh!t together.

to get the most out of your exhaust everything needs to have a smooth transition, your coming off a 3" collector, chop that crappy ball /socket joint off and use a normal slip on expanded end 3" pipe and carry that 3" all the way to the catback exhaust anyways. if you use a cat in the mid pipe, you need to cut that cat housing to where the 3" pipe butts up to it perfect and weld it, the transition to the cat should be free of any ledges- meaning dont shove a cat into a pipe or shove a pipe over the cat. all of your cuts and welds need to be butt welds.

it's fine to have a few connection points like you mids fitting over your collector and using a band clamp same with catback. other than that everything else in that area needs to be butt welds and mandrel bends.

so many of you jam this and that into each pipe to neck it down or up, if you look inside your pipe and it will look like crap and nothing is smooth.

Great read, a lot of good information, these headers are still on ebay for 225 i saw. I think if I bought the ebay equal length headers I would have to rebuild the collectors to take advantage of the equal length, build a merge cone inside and extend the collector out and tapper at a slower rate to a 3" o.d and then carry that 3" all the way to the cat back to allow the exhaust plenty of time to organize the exhaust wave ( to work for me) and some time to cool down to slowly transfer it down the 2 3/4". there's probably about 10 hp/tq or more through out the curve just having a great merge collector. there is power in a merge collectors. and probably several more just paying attention to mid pipe design vs a gobbled mess i have seen here.

Before i saw this I thought my option was JBA headers for 600 and other for higher. might look around there are some company's that sell fancy collectors, might be worth reworking these cheap ebay headers.

Couple things , on my particular setup (equal length and now flow tech catless mids) the only thing I would feel the need to change is the collector. As far as butt welds , that’s unnecessary imo, so long as pipe fit inside the next. Exhaust doesn’t flow upstream. Who wouldn’t prefer smooth all the way , but the practicality isn’t there , and any difference would be negligible at best. The dent I had to make to get around my starter has also been proven to make zero difference on the dyno.
    In short , for the equal length , which is all I would use , a new collector would be the only change I would make to take full advantage of scavenging. Other than that , IMO , the equal length primary kooks knock offs with the catless flow tech mids is a pretty good combination. And can be had for a very appealing price in comparison with any name brand. To address the collector before install would be the way to go, and might possibly add a little ground clearance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    I used v bands instead of the ball connectors. And made my own mids catless. While I have a few welds, I back purged and tig’d them so they are clean inside.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ddeennis View Post

2006 Dodge Daytona (Top Banana #3494)
    1-7/8" MAXIMIZER Longtube headers w/hiflow cats/Corsa Sport Catback/CAI/EGR delete/170* thermostat w/tweaked duty cycle
    Eibach Sportlines/Leather R/T steering wheel w/EVIC controls/91 octane tune by Johan
    Likes PastorTree, 4DoorMuscle, Tikibeast liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I’m not doing that much work for what might equate to 5hp on a street driven vehicle that doesn’t get used for competition. I frankly don’t care what it looks like inside or outside of the pipe. As long as it doesn’t leak I’m fine with it. Anyone climbs under my car to critique my exhaust I’ll just kick them in theirs.

2016 Charger Scat Pack
    LMI Intake
    3.70 gears
    Borla Atak
    Active exhaust delete
    Hemifever Tuning
    2016 Charger Scat PackLMI Intake3.70 gearsBorla AtakActive exhaust deleteHemifever Tuning

Post Thanks / Like
    I hear you, you’d be hard pressed to measure the gains losses of a step in the exhaust from a coupler or such. I had the v bands already prepared, I’ll hopefully finish fab on my turbo piping soon, but work has been eating up all my time, new promotion, few pennies more, double the hours :(, come bonus time I should kill it though.

Likes ronan978 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    For what started as such a cheap endeavour has become a pricey thing. $350 for headers//cats//flanges//O2 Extenders + $40 for packing materials + $80 for shipping to Jet Hot + $350 for Jet Hot coating = $820 total spent to date. I still gotta buy gaskets and bolts. I'm starting to see where some of the price on headers comes from. Assuming this is their cost on parts, add on a 20% profit margin and you are almost at an even $1000. Except for Kooks. They've gotta have a 200% mark up on their stuff.
    Last edited by centexcharger; 11-08-2018 at 12:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by centexcharger View Post
    For what started as such a cheap endeavour has become a pricey thing. $350 for headers//cats//flanges//O2 Extenders + $40 for packing materials + $80 for shipping to Jet Hot + $350 for Jet Hot coating = $820 total spent to date. I still gotta buy gaskets and bolts. I'm starting to see where some of the price on headers comes from. Assuming this is their cost on parts, add on a 20% profit margin and you are almost at an even $1000. Except for Kooks. They've gotta have a 200% mark up on their stuff.
    Not everybody sends theirs to Jet Hot ;-)

I coated mine with Eastwood's inside coating...along with the wrap, works awesome keeping underhood temps down.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Likes Tikibeast liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh I know. Just started adding it up today. Nice thing about it is I can spread the cost out. Way easier to justify $200 here or a $100 here to the wife than $1800 at once.

2016 Charger Scat Pack
    LMI Intake
    3.70 gears
    Borla Atak
    Active exhaust delete
    Hemifever Tuning

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by centexcharger View Post
    Oh I know. Just started adding it up today. Nice thing about it is I can spread the cost out. Way easier to justify $200 here or a $100 here to the wife than $1800 at once.

2016 Charger Scat Pack
    LMI Intake
    3.70 gears
    Borla Atak
    Active exhaust delete
    Hemifever Tuning
    You are preaching to the choir brother!!!

I actually get to go pick up my 18's for drag radials tomorrow morning for one last night at Little River tomorrow.

Edit: they updated the schedule....I'll get more runs in this year wahooooooooooooo

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice. One day I’ll make it out there with the charger. Last time I was there I was in college running my diesel. Must have been 12-13 years ago.

2016 Charger Scat Pack
    LMI Intake
    3.70 gears
    Borla Atak
    Active exhaust delete
    Hemifever Tuning

Post Thanks / Like
    To date I've spent:
    $150 headers
    $150 high flow cats
    $ 80 O2 sensors
    $40 mopar oem gaskets
    $175 email tune
    Free stuff:
    welding (co-workers)
    high temp paint on headers (I'm an industrial painter)-paint has held up great so far
    header bolts
    273 loctite
    $10 Autozone parts
    $ 75 O2 extensions

it has all been worth it, gonna get a dyno tune in the spring after an underdrive pulley install to see where she is really at
    06 Black Mag R/T. Rear wiper delete, trunk handle delete, front and rear aluminum belly pans, Strut grills, Spectre drop in , straight pipes exhaust, 85mm Arrington throttle body, diablo sport Intune, Jet 180, billet catch can, st coilovers,spc adjustable upper control arms, BWoody endlinks, Petty's garage sways, speedlogix 4 point rear strut brace, Pettys garage front strut tower brace, long tubes, 2015 eagle intake

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you guys post up how long you've had them installed and mods. That way I feel better about only spending $250 for my entire longtube setup hahaha

Still have to get mid pipes fabbed up. But that should be simple and cheap.

Page 65 of 65 FirstFirst ... 1555636465