Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemissary View Post
    If you have a 6.5mm Allen head socket - try it. My Allen headed sockets go from 6mm to 7mm. Do you have a torch? Heating up the surrounding aluminum can help, as it expands at a significantly greater rate then the metal NPT plug...
    My set jumps from 6-7mm too, I was going to buy a 6.5 somewhere. Maybe I'll try the torch. I appreciate the input.
    2010 SRT Challenger M6 with a Magnuson 2300, cam & heads...tweaked by BFNY and tuned by AJ.

Post Thanks / Like
    Try a 1/4" key. = 6.1mm

inTune 91 CAI, 180 stat, BB 6dB reso delete,Tranzformer, MDS indicator, ESP/BAS switch. Wire mesh grille, smoked and flashing side markers, 9005 2400k 65W fogs, rear fogs, debadged and demolded, 245/45/20 and 295/40/20 Continental DW's on 9"/10" F/R Viper Replicas, BCR Coilovers, Drake strut brace. Interior accent LED 's. 55/35 tint, BT catch can. LED interior lighting. BT bling, front parking sensors. Rear seat heaters. Color matched tails "MoPar" puddle lights. Custom front lip.
    MyGig 730N, Pyle 9.2" screen, iPod, front and rear cams.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think he did already; to the OP, if you have rounded the HEX in the NPT using the 1/4", you might try hammering in the metric 7mm and see if that works...
    2005 Magnum RT---Viper Venom Red----440ci Aluminum block----Short Runner Valve Intake--410mm BAER 6S Monoblock Extreme--Eibach Multi-Pro 2

Custom--Grille Work--Hood--Headlights--Side View Mirrors--Rear Spoiler--Rear Diffuser--SRV Control System--Turbine Wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I tried a 1/4" in perfect condition, but it wouldn't work. A 7 is too big, so I'm going to look for a 6.5 and heat up the pump.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2010SRT View Post
    Yeah, I tried a 1/4" in perfect condition, but it wouldn't work. A 7 is too big, so I'm going to look for a 6.5 and heat up the pump.
    Pretty sure you won't find a 6.5mm Allen key. Another idea would be to carefully grind down the tip on a 7mm Allen key such that when you hammer it in, that wedge-fit along with a good blow from a hammer to loosen will do the trick...

Post Thanks / Like
    Strike 2 for me. Hammered a 7mm Allen wrench into the head and applied heat....a few times...and tapped it with a hammer. Just stripped out the head again. Now, its just a larger round hole. I guess I know why the previous owner wasn't able to properly bleed the system. They couldn't get this damn bolt out! The bolt seems really soft, almost like aluminum or stainless.

My easy outs are either too small or too big. I'm going to grind some off of one and try it again.

This is much more difficult than it needs to be.

Post Thanks / Like
    Strike 2 for me. Hammered a 7mm Allen wrench into the head and applied heat....a few times...and tapped it with a hammer. Just stripped out the head again. Now, its just a larger round hole. I guess I know why the previous owner wasn't able to properly bleed the system. They couldn't get this damn bolt out! The bolt seems really soft, almost like aluminum or stainless.

My easy outs are either too small or too big. I'm going to grind some off of one and try it again.

This is much more difficult than it needs to be.
    I agree - the engineers could have come up with a better system - if not just a better insert that would be R&R'd easier :^/

So you have easy-outs, that's good. Last time I removed one for a customer I drilled into the HEX (into the coolant passage - nothing behind) with a 1/4" bit. I then used the appropriate-sized easy-out. Came right out...

EDIT; trying to cut down an easy-out would not be easy, it's hardened steel...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemissary View Post
    I agree - the engineers could have come up with a better system - if not just a better insert that would be R&R'd easier :^/

So you have easy-outs, that's good. Last time I removed one for a customer I drilled into the HEX (into the coolant passage - nothing behind) with a 1/4" bit. I then used the appropriate-sized easy-out. Came right out...

EDIT; trying to cut down an easy-out would not be easy, it's hardened steel...
    You drilled through the Allen head into the pump? You weren't worried about shavings entering the coolant? Nothing to damage back there?

Post Thanks / Like
    You drilled through the Allen head into the pump? You weren't worried about shavings entering the coolant? Nothing to damage back there?
    The NPT fitting is above the pump and opens into a large cavity. Shavings are coming out - not going in :^)

Drill until the bit has pierced the NPT fitting, then use a large enough easy-out such only the first 30% of the tool is beginning to cut into the HEX portion of the NPT. Make sure(!) to support the ratchet and easy-out to avoid(!) side-loading the tool. The last thing you need is to fracture part of the tool inside the NPT remnants...
    Last edited by Hemissary; 01-25-2016 at 10:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Added more info above...

Post Thanks / Like
    Side note has anybody found a dealer that has an ounce of sanity as far as pricing? I've called my local dealer several times and I keep getting the same astronomical price...next bet is waiting for one to pop up on eBay.
    Current
    His: 2006 MSRT8, K&N CAI, built and tuned by MPR Motorsports (WhiteHemi), forged pistons and a HHP Stg 2r cam, HHP HEMITUNER TCM, Paramount Stg 2 valve body, Mopar Performance high stall converter, Flowmaster Super 10s, 180° t-stat, Tranzformer, Street Edge coilovers, 275/40/20 Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s, otherwise bone stock.
    397rwhp/399rwtq
    Personal best 8.473 in the 1/8 and spinning like a fool, on old Toyos, pre Tranzformer, old suspension, and old stock engine, new times to come.

Hers: 2010 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI, bone stock and slow as a rock...
    MOPAR360

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikibeast View Post
    Side note has anybody found a dealer that has an ounce of sanity as far as pricing? I've called my local dealer several times and I keep getting the same astronomical price...next bet is waiting for one to pop up on eBay.
    I paid less than $17 for mine. If enough guys need them, I can order some and ship them for those who need it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I paid less than $17 for mine. If enough guys need them, I can order some and ship them for those who need it.
    Thank you, I may take you up on that, after looking at your price and previous prices I think I'm going to call them again and pick a bone with their manager seeing as I've thus far been unable to find a phone number for a head office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe I'll sell you mine. I can't get a right angle drill in there to drill it straight. I've round out the head by using a 6mm, 7mm and a 40 or 45 torx bit. Between my boats, cars & trucks, I've done my share of tinkering and this damn bolt is one of the biggest pains I've had. I'd like to meet the guy who last installed it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe I'll sell you mine. I can't get a right angle drill in there to drill it straight. I've round out the head by using a 6mm, 7mm and a 40 or 45 torx bit. Between my boats, cars & trucks, I've done my share of tinkering and this damn bolt is one of the biggest pains I've had. I'd like to meet the guy who last installed it.
    Lol keep at it, tear it down if you have to, it's a good little preventative maintenance solution for those of us that actually drive these things as intended.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Share This Thread