Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Apache Short Runner Valve Intake Manifold - Installation...

I would like to thank Pete (fnkychkn) once again for his help supplying me with great documentation / specifications / wiring diagrams to help identify the appropriate parts to order and figure out the actuator. Thanks Pete!

The goal is to take advantage of the significant additional HP / TQ everywhere under the curve that this Short Runner Valve (SRV) intake manifold offers, especially in the lower-mid range while still retaining exemplary (equals 6.1) upper end performance when switched to short runner mode. SRV performance rivals that offered by the Eagle composite (mid range performance) or 6.1 SRT aluminum (mid / upper range) versions. A distinct(!) advantage over the aluminum manifold is the absence of performance robbing heat-soak that reduces oxygen content, that is present 100% of the time. Here's a video showing what the gains are on a relatively stock Hemi.

Traditional (passive) intake manifolds offer resonance during a finite engine rpm operating range. They are one trick ponies. For years we installed dual plane units that allowed for long runner lengths to assist with low-end torque but sucked slew water at mid to high rpm. Single plane manifolds were designed to operate in mid-upper to very high rpm operation. The current aftermarket offerings of either type that fits 3G Hemi's are old technology. The dual plane offering from a few years back sucked slew water and couldn't even best the pre-08' 5.7 unit that is well-known to go anemic above 5500rpm. Even with forced induction, it was only marginally better and still significantly(!) inferior to any of the OEM designs. Modern single plane units are what they are; peaky, fixed (and very short) runner lengths that adhere to technology that is aimed at the drag strip. Street-wise, neither offering can hold a candle to the 6.1 aluminum unit, the later Eagle composite version performed even better throughout the mid range.

FCA then released the first design with active runners that demonstrated significant performance advantages on the truck version of the 392ci engine (inlet mount faced straight upwards). The latest version is on the 392 Apache Hemi found in the Challenger platform - again with Short Runner Valve (SRV) manifold technology, a multi-trick pony that takes advantage of CFD and modern design / assembly prowess to add HP / TQ everywhere under the curve.

Resonance, the act of utilizing the shock waves created every time the intake valves close, can be made to do significant work by forcing extra air (oxygen) into the combustion process. Because air has mass, what is known as the HelmHoltz Effect imparted energy to the incoming air that is used to push more of it into the oxidation process. A bigger bang translates into more force on top of the pistons. The rest - you should be able to figure out.

It can be very easily argued that significantly more torque present from just off-idle through mid-range that can get our heavy-azz rides outta the hole, sooner and quicker, pays big dividends from mid to red line. It will be interesting to see who elects to use this manifold to out-perform the current (and much overrated) love child...the aluminum 6.1 version.

This thread assumes the Reader possesses the minimum electro-mechanical smarts required to perform this rather involved modification. If not, ask or get help!

Here's the new 6.4 VVT SRT8 (ESG) intake manifold that was delivered the other day:

Note that the intake manifold (PN's listed below) showed up with every gasket and O-ring required and the mounting bolts. Other parts needed were the SRV actuator and it's mounting bolts. The rear SRV (Short Runner Valve) actuator rod (note existing silicone O-ring). To open the SRV valve requires ~15 degrees of shaft rotation:

The intake's I.D. at the TB mounting point is on average 83.6mm. You can just make out the bottom of the #1 cylinder SRV valve from the intake manifold entrance:

And just below that valve the main longer runner port entrance:

To date a test-fit on a 6.1 block with Eagle heads shows some minor fitment issues that will be easy to overcome (see here what I did with an Eagle manifold: 09' Intake Manifold Installation - no Spacers (pic intensive) ).

Again the water temperature boss on the top / front of the block is the only point of physical interference on pre-08' Hemi blocks of any type; looking from the right side:

...and the left side where the coolant temperature sensor resides. You can see some of the fin structure on the bottom of the manifold that must be removed:

I was able to slide a smaller video camera into the entrance and gather some pics of the main plenum area. I then used a boroscope and navigated through the entire inner structure and all eight ports. The only unwanted flashing (very minor - non-invasive to operation) is at the entrance of #1 cylinder (see above). Note how nice and smooth the interior surfaces are with decent radiuses:

Here's a cross sectional view of a runner showing closed / open valve position:

To figure out how the electric actuator works will be straight forward by the looks of it using a 12VDC PWR supply and logic level (0V / 5V) I/P. From there I can bench test the system by simulating rpm with a frequency generator / 12VDC PWR. I'm plan on using an MSD NO2 Window Switch to control the SRV actuator.

Here's a video looking through the intake entry showing #1 SRV in action:

3G Hemi Short Runner Valve actuation

The Part Numbers
    Intake manifold P/N (includes all gasket, O-rings, mounting bolts): 68090674AA
    SRV (short runner valve) actuator P/N: 5038529AA
    Actuator bolts (3 required) P/N: 6509377AA
    Pigtail connector: 1-68064996AA

Update 2011-05-19:
    After testing the OEM actuator / window switches using a power supply and signal generator to simulate rpm along with a digital oscilloscope to monitor pin 3 / 4 outputs, it became clear that readily available rpm switches used to control nitrous or transmission shift events would be ideal to control actuation. Pin 3 of the actuator is simply grounded to activate short runner mode. Simple.

When the actuator is first powered up, similar to the throttle body the actuator goes through a single open / close cycle to confirm proper operation.

NOTE: trying to make the actuator operate without a load (the manifold's actuator rods / valves) will result in erratic operation, or no movement at all.

Connectorship
    I advise buying the correct pigtail / connector 68064996AA from any OEM Parts Counter. If you elect to forgo the connector, pin 1 is on the left as you are looking at the pins inside the (male) connector housing on the actuator with the driveshaft pointing downward. See the pigtail connector diagram below from Chrysler (the numbers 1 and 4 are cast into the pigtail connector housing). Below is the pin-out and connection protocol:

Pin 1: B+, switched 12V supply (attach to a switched 12V source, this could be an existing 12V circuit that becomes hot only when the key is in the run position. Ensure that circuit has enough excess current-carrying capability)
    Pin 2: B- (permanently attach to an existing chassis ground - there are many)
    Pin 3: Signal, logic level (negative going to activate), what this means is that the MSD window switch is simply grounding pin 3 on the SRV servo controller at the 4800rpm set point
    Pin 4: signal, logic level, no connection. Those with some electrical smarts can connect one side of a typical LED to this pin and the other side to GND. No current-limiting resistor is required given the circuit is logic-level. This will be active (lit) below the set point and turn off when short runner mode activates (for help contact me). Note this is the means by-which the OEM PCM detects proper operation of the actuator (or otherwise - set a DTC).

Actuator Operation
    Pins 3 and 4 of the actuator use logic-level (0 or 5V reference) protocol to initiate (pin 3 – shorted to ground) and confirm (pin 4 – logic low during short runner mode). Both pins I/O are low impendence. Pin 4 requires no connection, but must not short to ground GND or power B+ (again - pin 4 sits a ~6.5VDC and goes low allowing the PCM to confirm proper operation of the actuator when the valves open. A typical 5mm LED (I used a 3mm blue) can be forward-biased (activated) by connecting the negative lead to pin 4 and the positive to pin 3. This provides a visual aid to display the actuator has PWR and when exceeding the rpm SRV valve opening set point. Note: the LED actually turns off when the 4800rpm set point is exceeded.

FYI; maximum (measured) current consumption during actuator transition is ~2.6A. When you choose a PWR source you need to take this plus the existing circuitry current into account. Steady-state (open or closed) is ~2-300mA.

The 4800rpm Set-point
    After asking SRT Engineers, they confirmed 4800rpm is the designed set point. This has been confirmed by others who have performed this worthy mod.

There is a simple reason the set point is the same for ALL engines; for any given rpm, the rate at which the intake valves stop and start airflow within the runners is the same for every engine - no matter what the displacement or valve timing. The shockwave that creates the Helmholtz effect of pumping more air into the combustion process is a function of velocity and air density (difference in altitudes of operation). Runner length resonance is directly related to rpm - not displacement.

SRV manifold functionality is similar to long tube headers that us the same Helmholtz effect to extract more spent exhaust gasses out of the combustion chamber.

Something that can only be confirmed on an engine or chassis dyno and maybe worth discussing will be whether to make the rpm set-point value slightly above or below 4800rpm. With different engine configurations (cam, heads, exhaust for example) the area under the curves will either drop off more rapidly, or gain more rapidly in one mode or the other. For example, if your engine’s global TQ gains are reducing quickly in long runner mode approaching the cross over, while in short runner mode it appears more area is under the curve just past to the crossover point, it might be worth empirically testing to lower the set-point (in this case) to allow short runner mode to produce those gains at an earlier rpm. NOTE: avoid(!) the "bigger is better" misnotion that goes something like "if 4800rpm is good, then 4700 / 4600rpm / 4500rpm (or any other rpm value) must be better". Physics doesn't work that way. Only proper / repeated testing on a dyno will reveal minor gains over-and-above the 4800rpm set point.

Update 2012-OCT-24:
    The MSD Ignition 8969, digital RPM window switch took the lead and never gave it up throughout control unit testing. Here's the connection map;
    - Connect the white lead to a negative coil lead or possibly injector (coils and injectors across all platforms will have one color-coded lead in common - this is GND)
    - Use yellow lead to trigger SRV actuator's pin3
    - Configure the MSD controller for single cylinder operation (there are eight coils, so you want the unit to recognize single cylinder operation)
    - Set opening set point to 4800rpm.

Pigtail (OEM) Connector PN / pinout (note you are looking into the connector body in this pic, pin 1 and 4 are molded into housing):

UPDATE: 2013-01-13;

I heat-molded the front / lower area on the SRV manifold, it worked just fine. I was not sure whether my heat gun had the thermal wattage to do the job, it did. End result is approximately a 0.1" gap between part of cylinder #1's runner and the center plenum area. No appreciable volume was removed from the runner:

I elected to paint the SRV manifold using wrinkly paint offered by VHT (http://www.lxforums.com/board/f63/de...-440-a-326256/). When the decorative coating has cured, the lower flange and bottom of the manifold will be coated with a high performance ceramic spray system and will be augmented by a molded-in ceramic thermal blanket that sits in the lifter valley area:

I stenciled SRV onto the front runner:

I had the coil packs and the throttle body chrome finished. We'll see how it holds up in the under-hood environment; http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php (see post #51 for the coil packs):

Footnote; to those miscreants who have plagiarized my work; pretty f'n lame, especially when quoting word-for-word what I've written here and electing to paste it in other Forums and taking the credit.
    Last edited by Hemissary; 11-21-2020 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Pics reinstated
    2005 Magnum RT---Viper Venom Red----440ci Aluminum block----Short Runner Valve Intake--410mm BAER 6S Monoblock Extreme--Eibach Multi-Pro 2

Custom--Grille Work--Hood--Headlights--Side View Mirrors--Rear Spoiler--Rear Diffuser--SRV Control System--Turbine Wheels

Thanks fnkychkn thanked for this post
    Likes fnkychkn, Blueturd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    looks good, i thought the same things, using a rpm switch to activate the runners will be the simple way to do things imo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Should be an interesting project, is the TB the same as the previous ones ?

BTW, I hope you have something under it to protect the carpet

'09 Charger SRT8 - Black - traded
    '06 Charger R/T - blue - traded

Post Thanks / Like
    Techco CAI, SRT MAX.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome project! Love to see what comes of this!

PS: that engine sounds very familiar :-P I had one like that a couple years ago I believe its driving around in Wolfmann21's car right now.... even the bob weight is almost exactly the same!
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk - True Blue

Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Franklin P. Jones
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixpak View Post

yes the TBs are the same. Looks good Simon

Post Thanks / Like
    do you have some good quality dyno data from the stock 6.1 intake for comparison?
    Please don't PM me, I don't always have time to go through them!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixpak View Post

Yes...the new 392cu/in sports an 80mm throttle body :^0

I do, plywood :^)

Quote Originally Posted by lafrad View Post
    Awesome project! Love to see what comes of this!

PS: that engine sounds very familiar :-P I had one like that a couple years ago I believe its driving around in Wolfmann21's car right now.... even the bob weight is almost exactly the same!
    You should Mike :^ it will be somewhat similar to that powerplant...

Quote Originally Posted by modernmuscle View Post
    yes the TBs are the same. Looks good Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by PWR_Justin View Post
    looks good, i thought the same things, using a rpm switch to activate the runners will be the simple way to do things imo.
    I'll post updates as they develop, anyone care to speculate about the gains :^)
    Last edited by Hemissary; 05-04-2011 at 12:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    do you have some good quality dyno data from the stock 6.1 intake for comparison?
    Likely the same day I get to a dyno I'll R&R both setups. The engine is not assembled yet...

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good, let us know how it responds to a larger throttle body, catch can and a hyperground
    '12 Challenger SRT8 Pitch Black 6-speed, stripe delete, all options
    -AFR functional SHAKER hood, Hurst/Mopar short throw pistol grip W/Larry's mod, BB's resonater delete, Jet 180 t-stat, HEMIFEVER tune, BT catch can, ceramic tint/clear bra/C-Quartz...you know, some other crap too
    [email protected] stock tune/tires DA 7170 - that's [email protected] corrected!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EricG View Post
    Looks good, let us know how it responds to a larger throttle body, catch can and a hyperground
    I had to laugh.

Simon I will be subscribing on this one. Another pioneer adventure into the lx future. Thanks
    I AM ON MIL DUTY PLEASE EMAIL [email protected] to contact about TCMs.

2005 Silver Magnum R/T

1/8 NA PB: 7.466@91.83mph 1.620 60'
    1/8 N2O PB: 6.947@96.50mph 1.539 60'
    1/4 N2O PB: 10.941@123.71mph 1.539 60'

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EricG View Post
    Sure, I'll get on that right away and report back...

Quote Originally Posted by bmeyer40 View Post
    I had to laugh.

Simon I will be subscribing on this one. Another pioneer adventure into the lx future. Thanks
    Me too; Hopefully others will do so as well

Post Thanks / Like
    It'll be definitely interesting to see this up and running. I had a similar idea last year using the truck intake manifold, but had no idea how to even begin using a servo of some sort to actuate the variable feature. I just eventually sold the intake. I'm pretty sure you will be able to get this to work.

http://www.lxforums.com/board/signaturepics/sigpic23029_3.gif
    MY HEMI REGISTRY PAGE
    Quote Originally Posted by MattRobertson View Post
    ... Do it for fun and enjoy the improved performance, but don't think you made a transaction that makes any financial sense. Use the economy numbers to torpedo the tree hugger who wants to get snooty with you, but know in your heart you did it so you could go faster.

Post Thanks / Like
    cool project... Very interesting to see how this turns out.
    Hemi Registry 0436 PWR Forged 6.1 block -YSI @20psi -Modern Muscle Performance Stage3+ manifold and custom cam - 90mmTB- Indy Heads - TTI Longtubes - Enhanced(hemi31) TC/Transmission - HemiTuner TCM - BFNY 3.06 Getrag-325/45/17M&H 9.937 @ 138

Post Thanks / Like
    had some similar ideas... glad to see someone pull the trigger on it.. very interested to see the results!

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Share This Thread