Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Bedford, Texas
    Posts
    4,931
    Post Thanks / Like

    Rant while doing paint correction

    We interrupt this barrage of wheel questions to bring you the following important message...

    Ok, so I haven't had my car for a while, now that I have it back it's time to fix what someone else screwed up.

    If you have a black car (or dark car period- but definitely black) and you decide to wash it and dry it off...if you use a terry cloth bath towel/ dish towel or ANYTHING besides a clean absorber or Microfiber cloth...someone is watching you.

    It might not be me, but SOMEONE should run up behind you and hit you upside the head with a floor buffer.

    DO NOT DO IT!!!!!!!!!

    OK, rant over.

    We now return you to your regularly scheduled tire and wheel question.

    Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Thanks IcarusLSC thanked for this post
    Likes UpInSmoke liked this post

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    2,961
    Post Thanks / Like
    And a good microfiber too, even some of those can get scratchy after awhile.

    I dont even touch the paint unless it's with a lubricant. I only dry using Adam's H20 Guard and Gloss or diluted ONR as a quick lube.

    I had some emergency work done at a shop that tried to do me a favor by washing it. Just from one wash they added tons of swirls that would have required an entire polish to remove fully.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2006 300c SRT8
    PWR Ported Heads | HHP Stage 2R Cam | 3.91 Getrag | GTP Ported Intake Manifold | Kooks Longtubes | Corsa Sport / SRT Resonators | AMG 8 Piston Brake Calipers | Hemituner 6,800 TCM | BT Catch Can | LMI True CAI V2 | Tranzformer | MM 87mm TB | Johan Tuned | REM Adjustable Endlinks & Front/Rear Shock Braces | 33/22mm Front/Rear Sway Bars | Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 305/35/20 & 275/40/20 | 10" Widened Oem Wheels | LC-2 Wideband Analog Output to Trinity | Mishimoto Full Aluminum Radiator


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Bedford, Texas
    Posts
    4,931
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BM_SRT View Post
    And a good microfiber too, even some of those can get scratchy after awhile.

    I dont even touch the paint unless it's with a lubricant. I only dry using Adam's H20 Guard and Gloss or diluted ONR as a quick lube.

    I had some emergency work done at a shop that tried to do me a favor by washing it. Just from one wash they added tons of swirls that would have required an entire polish to remove fully.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    That's where I am now. Car got dropped off dirty from Tx-Va trip, then accumulated 6+ months worth of dust and crap sitting in the shop.

    Someone THOUGHT they'd be nice and wash it for me. Day 3 and I really wish they hadn't. Some of this isn't going to come out without a repaint Rant while doing paint correction

    Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Springfield, MO
    Posts
    672
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by punisher69 View Post
    That's where I am now. Car got dropped off dirty from Tx-Va trip, then accumulated 6+ months worth of dust and crap sitting in the shop.

    Someone THOUGHT they'd be nice and wash it for me. Day 3 and I really wish they hadn't. Some of this isn't going to come out without a repaint Rant while doing paint correction

    Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Yikes, that bad? Did they use a scotchbrite pad on it? Got any pics?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Bedford, Texas
    Posts
    4,931
    Post Thanks / Like
    They half-a$$ed washed it, then dried it off with what I can only assume we're dirty old Terry cloth towels. If they even bothered washing it before wiping it down.

    I don't have any pics, but there are a few that I can hang a fingernail in, so I knew wouldn't come out.

    Unless you're right on top of it and looking for them, you can't see them now, but I know they're there.

    Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Bedford, Texas
    Posts
    4,931
    Post Thanks / Like
    I went out and got a pic of what I had to deal with ...and this is AFTER, compound, polish and wax.

    The whole car is covered

    Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    2,961
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by punisher69 View Post
    I went out and got a pic of what I had to deal with ...and this is AFTER, compound, polish and wax.

    The whole car is covered

    Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    What would you do in that scenario? I have the similar issue with a new to me car I bought. I did a full mahcine compound and polish and it came out amazing but if I look closely there are a few spots like your picture. My gut is telling me just to leave them and not worth going more aggressive.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Bedford, Texas
    Posts
    4,931
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BM_SRT View Post
    What would you do in that scenario? I have the similar issue with a new to me car I bought. I did a full mahcine compound and polish and it came out amazing but if I look closely there are a few spots like your picture. My gut is telling me just to leave them and not worth going more aggressive.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Exactly. Leave them alone. Too much or too aggressive can take the clear right off and then you WILL have a mess.

    This one may see a paint booth in the fall after racing is done for this year. I'm still mad about it.

    Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Calabash, NC
    Posts
    2,825
    Post Thanks / Like
    lawyer up, and get it repainted. i had an issue at a brush-less car wash the washer track was frozen. went down the side of my car and scratched from front to rear. $2400 damage. the worker watched as it went down so no issue and they had a video of it f****n up my car. they were standup and turned it into their ins. with no question.

    PB ET 14.02 at CamaroFest 5 totally stock
    PB RT Sportsman tree .003 at Challengerfest 3, PB RT pro tree .019 at MSHS VMP 5/16
    PB 0-60 3.24 MIR Raceway Drag Radials 6/18

    PB 0-60 4.40 Street Tires on the street Calabash 10/14

    PB 60' 1.472 @ CF9 4/18
    PB ET 1/8 6.911 @ CF9 4/18
    PB MPH 1/8 101.32 @ The Rock 4/19
    PB ET 10.857 @ CF9 4/18

    PB MPH 127.29 @ Atco 11/18

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Bedford, Texas
    Posts
    4,931
    Post Thanks / Like
    In all honesty, I'll eat the cost of the repaint rather than deal with the ones that messed it up. There are very few times the fight isn't worth the aggravation. This is one of them.

    The upside is, it still hauls ass even with the scratches lol.

    Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Where it's Warmer
    Posts
    1,743
    Post Thanks / Like
    I will bump this because it's paint related. So dear hits car drivers side fender and door, Nov 2020. It's been cold and no one is allowed to paint this PHG on this car when it's 18 below.

    Fast forward to "Preferred Repair Facility".

    So I was told I could get pics of car before and after paint. Yesterday showed up after dropping off Wednesday. Told car was in booth and no I cannot see it. Asked for original fender, ok no problem... Here comes a plum fender with the 392 Hemi badge removed. Ok... Where is it??? I don't know I was told.
    He finds the emblem 15 minutes later they had to measure it that is why it was removed.

    Ok so then I am told the headlamp assembly is broken. Really ok let me see it. It had every tab broken on it and a hole in it. But on the car no water intrusion or alignment issue with the assembly....ok for now.

    So today I show up because car is out of paint booth. I get to look at car minus fender and front bumper. There are more than 20 circles in the paint. And they are circling defects in paint, 8 panels. Also crap in paint without circles.
    So a senior estimator tells me that this is normal and all body shops have dust in paint.

    Car came in without paint issues and they said all of this "Will buff and polish out".

    Does anyone what the tool is called that measures paint thickness???
    Would love to post pics but for how through taps talk.

    Looking forward to comments.
    Btw the body shop manager was sure to tell that to impede the air with foam around the around the air box cause codes.
    I guess 7.35 @ 96 in the 1/8 is causing codes and impeding airflow. And 23 mpg is bad too.

    But dust in the paint is normal
    2018 R/T Scat Pack7.355 @ 96.07
    SOLD 07 Plum Daytona 12.854 @ 106.73 Stock Heads, Cam, Intake & Muffler
    7.50 with a ZERO! @ 94.94 mph on a 7.50 Dial In.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    49
    Post Thanks / Like
    HerDaytona, The DeFelsko Positectors are widely used by pro Detailers. A bit spendy, though.
    Last edited by Prange; 04-23-2021 at 04:48 PM.



Tags for this Thread

Share This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •