Post Thanks / Like

Fiberglass Hood Cracking

I’ve had my TruFiber hood for about 4 years. About 2 years ago, I started seeing cracks in the paint. I like the way it looks overall, so lately I’ve been thinking of repainting it. The body shop assures me this is a problem with the underlying hood as opposed to the paint. I have heard from multiple sources that fiberglass hoods are trouble in general. Is it impossible to prevent this from happening again if I repainted it? Any thoughts as to whether this is the hood or the paint?

Last edited by SCOTT57RT; 08-10-2019 at 10:21 AM.
    SCOTT57RT
    2007 RT Charger 5.7L - Black Crystal Pearl
    Mods: DiabloSport Predator - InertiaTuned, MagnaFlow CAT Back Exhaust, JBA High Flow Cats, JBA Headers, 185Tstat, 85mm CNC Throttle Body, 6psi-P1SC Procharger Supercharger, Blown Spartan Cam, 20x9 FR SRT8 Challenger Wheels/Nitto555G2, Mygig, BC Racing Coilovers, Willwood Brakes&Rotors, 3.06 Getrag

Post Thanks / Like
    That's a bummer bro. What I suggest is a complete stripping of it and this time they need to paint it with the additives used on bumper covers - there are primer, base, top / clear coat paint additives mixed into the bumper cover jobs due to the flexible nature of the part. You notice you can push on your bumper and it bends a lot without cracking. When I have had fiberglass parts painted for my drag cars, my paint guy said he always used them - no cracking. I'm not a paint guy, maybe someone else who is knows the trade names for these mixers.

(the one thing I hope you do Not find, is that the gel-coat underneath is cracking, and if that is so, you will need to reinforce the underside with some more cloth and resin, and dremel out and treat the cracks on top)

Hope that helps.
    X E Ryder
    Just Another Motorhead, Really.
    (midlife crisis activated)
    Thanks SCOTT57RT thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have had my Truefiber hood on for about six years without any problems. The Chargeum fenders I have had redone, as cracks have appeared around the top mounting holes. I was told that it was common, and not a big deal. That was two years ago, and the cracks have not reappeared.

On yours, to me it appears as though there is something wrong with the gel coat - just guessing.

Good luck.
    Thanks SCOTT57RT thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks alot for the responses. The body shop had alot of problems with oils coming out of the hood when they painted it originally. They had to start over and add a couple more coats of primer before repainting it. In the back of my head, I was wondering if that has something to do with the cracking. I'll never know at this point. My engine bay gets pretty hot and I know the thermal cycling on the hood doesn't help with the issue either. The underside of the hood looks great without any cracks at all. I may take it to another place and see if they have any expertise with the paint additives that resist cracking and whether they can tell if it's a gelcoat issue or not looking at it first hand.