Post Thanks / Like

Arrow How to Install a Danko Challenger Predator Grille

I've had many request for an installation thread for this mod, so here you go! this is one awesome grille that really gives it an old school Cuda look Removing the fascia is the first step is pretty easy, but that needs to be covered in another thread.

Fascia must be removed from car. It is not necessary, but easier if you remove grille unit from the fascia.

Now we will remove the chrome grille trim ring and headlight bezels.

Here is what the back side of the headlight bezels look like. They are held in with several snap-in clips.

Use a flat screw driver to depress the tabs and pop out the headlight bezels.

The Chrome trim ring also has locking tabs, but these must be grinded down so the the trim ring can be slid out of the grille housing.
    If you should ever want to go back to the stock grille arrangement, the tabs can be easily locked back on with epoxy putty.

Most of the locking tabs can easily be ground down until they are flat. Don't grind them completely off, just enough be able to remove the trim ring.

There are a few that are harder to reach. One easy solution is to turn the grinding disc backwards on a body grinder.

Carefully grind off the locking part of the plastic tabs and watch your knuckles!

Remove the trim ring and the 2 headlight bezels and put them away for future use if you ever want to return the car back to stock.

Remove the 2 nuts and aluminum bars from the back side and test fit the grille. Usually no trimming is required but now would be the time check for that and fine tune it.

Use 2" tape to fasten the grille to the plastic housing. The grille must stay in the correct position so check the front side to make sure it looks good before moving on.

This is what the back side looks like with the grille in place.

Make sure the mounting studs are securely tightened - finger tight is enough, but make sure to apply some lok-tite
    to the threads so it won't viberate loose later on.

Bolt up the aluminum bar as shown in the picture.

Using an 1/8 inch drill bit, drill 3 holes through the aluminum bar and plastic grille's mounting surface.

Using provided #8 sheet metal screws, drive in the 3 screws as shown in the picture. You can also use 1/8" pop rivits from your local hardware store.

Here is the back side with the screws in place. Now do the other side the same way.

Once this is done, unbolt the grille. You may want to unbolt the center baffle and paint it body color to match your car.

This picture shows the baffle painted red to match the R/T emblems.

Next, make sure to properly clean all surfaces where the tape will mount. This step is very important to do properly and correct temperature is also important for the tape to stick well. To prevent separation at a later date, we highly recommend using an adhesion promoter and/or additional 3M urethane adhesive on the inner mounting surfaces. Once you are ready for the final install, peel and fold back the corners of the red tape backing on the top and bottom. Only expose about 1 inch on each corner.
    Now you can bolt the grille back into the Housing and when you are sure it is in the correct position, pull out the red tape backing.

The next step is to hang the fascia on the car. Due to the weight of the fascia, the OEM black plastic grille has a tendency to spread open once bolted onto the car. If the 3M tape alone is not strong enough to hold it and a gap develops, there are 2 ways to solve the problem.

1) Use urethane 3M adhesive behind the tape as mentioned earlier to securely bond the Danko grille into the OEM grille, clamp and let dry.
    2) Or, use several strips of foam rubber in between the metal bumper and the fascia to support the weight of the fascia which will close the gap. (1/2" thick rolls are found where the door seals are at Home Depot)
    Once you are happy with the appearance of the grille, remove the nose again and apply some loc-tite onto the 2 stud/nut threads that hold the grille.

You can now install the grille/fascia assembly back on the car and don't forget to email me some pics for my website!!!! ([email protected] Of course, you can also call me at 305-934-8663 in you need some technical assistance over the phone.

Last edited by mopower; 10-19-2011 at 11:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great!!! Very nice of you to put that out there for those of us that better with pictures

Post Thanks / Like
    really looks great

2011 SRT8 CHALLY 392 Inaugural Edition #0925 of 1100 produced for the USA
    447.00 H/P - 458.05 Torque. Dyno Tuned by SCT
    best 1/4 mile time 12.38 @ 112.8 MPH

Post Thanks / Like
    Just want to put this out there for anyone else trying to do this WITHOUT removing the fascia. I did it myself over the past 2 days and it was EASY!
    My husband is out of town for a few weeks and I got my grill yesterday and I wasn't comfortable taking on the fascia removal myself, so I studied the pictures and my car (2009 SRT) and got to it! Here's the steps I took:

1) Remove Grille Trim Ring and Headlight Bezels - keeping in mind I was not worried about keeping them in shape to ever put back on.
    - The Headlight Bezels were easy. 1 needed minimum prying (at the top center) and then I just came of with some firm pulling. The second came out without any prying by pulling. Only one clip broke.
    - The Grill Trim Ring was a pain! I know some people have gotten these off by pushing on the clips with screwdrivers and pulling, but I wasn't able to, so I just cut mine off. From the inside (toward the grill), I used our Dremel to cut around the whole ring. I cut very close to the front of the Grill Trim (furthest from the grill), once you get that first cut through you can see how much empty space is there between that and the lower portion with no worry of cutting into the trim. (sorry I didn't document with photos while I was doing this)

This took a while, but once I was done, with a few cuts on the side to separate them into halves, I was able to pull out the whole inside portion with pliers. Once you have that removed, you can see and cut out the clips. The clips fell behind the grill, but I was able to pull them out with gorilla tape on string. Throughout this process, I would remove portions by just grabbing them with pliers or my hands and bending them until they broke off.

2) Installing Aluminum Bar
    I used painters tape to hold it in place while I positioned the grill properly. Once it was in place, I marked the bar and drilled the holes and installed it. Easy.

3) Installing the grill
    Since I knew I was going to be fighting the force of the fascia, I added extra 3M tape to ensure it would fit around the whole grill. I did this in 6 strips, 2 across the top and bottom and 2 small ones on each side.
    I put the grill on loosely, and had more than enough room to get the nut on just the tip, so I could still access the tape.
    I exposed the tape on the sides and did just about an inch or two of the top and bottom strip so I could unravel it later. I pushed the grill in place and screwed the nuts in completely. I pushed the sides in place so the 3M tape held them firmly.
    I removed the rest of the 3M tape cover from the top and bottom and pushed on the top of the fascia to squish it all together.
    Voila... all done!

Hope this helps someone who loves this grill but doesn't want to commit to the fascia removal!

Quote Originally Posted by mopower View Post
    I've had many request for an installation thread for this mod, so here you go! this is one awesome grille that really gives it an old school Cuda look Removing the fascia is the first step is pretty easy, but that needs to be covered in another thread.

Fascia must be removed from car. It is not necessary, but easier if you remove grille unit from the fascia.

Now we will remove the chrome grille trim ring and headlight bezels.

Here is what the back side of the headlight bezels look like. They are held in with several snap-in clips.

Use a flat screw driver to depress the tabs and pop out the headlight bezels.

The Chrome trim ring also has locking tabs, but these must be grinded down so the the trim ring can be slid out of the grille housing.
    If you should ever want to go back to the stock grille arrangement, the tabs can be easily locked back on with epoxy putty.

Most of the locking tabs can easily be ground down until they are flat. Don't grind them completely off, just enough be able to remove the trim ring.

There are a few that are harder to reach. One easy solution is to turn the grinding disc backwards on a body grinder.

Carefully grind off the locking part of the plastic tabs and watch your knuckles!

Remove the trim ring and the 2 headlight bezels and put them away for future use if you ever want to return the car back to stock.

Remove the 2 nuts and aluminum bars from the back side and test fit the grille. Usually no trimming is required but now would be the time check for that and fine tune it.

Use 2" tape to fasten the grille to the plastic housing. The grille must stay in the correct position so check the front side to make sure it looks good before moving on.

This is what the back side looks like with the grille in place.

Make sure the mounting studs are securely tightened - finger tight is enough, but make sure to apply some lok-tite
    to the threads so it won't viberate loose later on.

Bolt up the aluminum bar as shown in the picture.

Using an 1/8 inch drill bit, drill 3 holes through the aluminum bar and plastic grille's mounting surface.

Using provided #8 sheet metal screws, drive in the 3 screws as shown in the picture. You can also use 1/8" pop rivits from your local hardware store.

Here is the back side with the screws in place. Now do the other side the same way.

Once this is done, unbolt the grille. You may want to unbolt the center baffle and paint it body color to match your car.

This picture shows the baffle painted red to match the R/T emblems.

Next, make sure to properly clean all surfaces where the tape will mount. This step is very important to do properly and correct temperature is also important for the tape to stick well. To prevent separation at a later date, we highly recommend using an adhesion promoter and/or additional 3M urethane adhesive on the inner mounting surfaces. Once you are ready for the final install, peel and fold back the corners of the red tape backing on the top and bottom. Only expose about 1 inch on each corner.
    Now you can bolt the grille back into the Housing and when you are sure it is in the correct position, pull out the red tape backing.

The next step is to hang the fascia on the car. Due to the weight of the fascia, the OEM black plastic grille has a tendency to spread open once bolted onto the car. If the 3M tape alone is not strong enough to hold it and a gap develops, there are 2 ways to solve the problem.

1) Use urethane 3M adhesive behind the tape as mentioned earlier to securely bond the Danko grille into the OEM grille, clamp and let dry.
    2) Or, use several strips of foam rubber in between the metal bumper and the fascia to support the weight of the fascia which will close the gap. (1/2" thick rolls are found where the door seals are at Home Depot)
    Once you are happy with the appearance of the grille, remove the nose again and apply some loc-tite onto the 2 stud/nut threads that hold the grille.

You can now install the grille/fascia assembly back on the car and don't forget to email me some pics for my website!!!! ([email protected] Of course, you can also call me at 305-934-8663 in you need some technical assistance over the phone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by foxfire View Post
    Just want to put this out there for anyone else trying to do this WITHOUT removing the fascia. I did it myself over the past 2 days and it was EASY!
    My husband is out of town for a few weeks and I got my grill yesterday and I wasn't comfortable taking on the fascia removal myself, so I studied the pictures and my car (2009 SRT) and got to it! Here's the steps I took:

1) Remove Grille Trim Ring and Headlight Bezels - keeping in mind I was not worried about keeping them in shape to ever put back on.
    - The Headlight Bezels were easy. 1 needed minimum prying (at the top center) and then I just came of with some firm pulling. The second came out without any prying by pulling. Only one clip broke.
    - The Grill Trim Ring was a pain! I know some people have gotten these off by pushing on the clips with screwdrivers and pulling, but I wasn't able to, so I just cut mine off. From the inside (toward the grill), I used our Dremel to cut around the whole ring. I cut very close to the front of the Grill Trim (furthest from the grill), once you get that first cut through you can see how much empty space is there between that and the lower portion with no worry of cutting into the trim. (sorry I didn't document with photos while I was doing this)

This took a while, but once I was done, with a few cuts on the side to separate them into halves, I was able to pull out the whole inside portion with pliers. Once you have that removed, you can see and cut out the clips. The clips fell behind the grill, but I was able to pull them out with gorilla tape on string. Throughout this process, I would remove portions by just grabbing them with pliers or my hands and bending them until they broke off.

2) Installing Aluminum Bar
    I used painters tape to hold it in place while I positioned the grill properly. Once it was in place, I marked the bar and drilled the holes and installed it. Easy.

3) Installing the grill
    Since I knew I was going to be fighting the force of the fascia, I added extra 3M tape to ensure it would fit around the whole grill. I did this in 6 strips, 2 across the top and bottom and 2 small ones on each side.
    I put the grill on loosely, and had more than enough room to get the nut on just the tip, so I could still access the tape.
    I exposed the tape on the sides and did just about an inch or two of the top and bottom strip so I could unravel it later. I pushed the grill in place and screwed the nuts in completely. I pushed the sides in place so the 3M tape held them firmly.
    I removed the rest of the 3M tape cover from the top and bottom and pushed on the top of the fascia to squish it all together.
    Voila... all done!

Hope this helps someone who loves this grill but doesn't want to commit to the fascia removal!

Wow your husband will be really surprised when he comes home!!! I wish I could get my wife to install the mods for me!LOL Thanks for yourcontribution to this thread, this should be a great help to those who also don't want to take of the fascia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mopower View Post
    Wow your husband will be really surprised when he comes home!!! I wish I could get my wife to install the mods for me!LOL Thanks for yourcontribution to this thread, this should be a great help to those who also don't want to take of the fascia.
    Thanks! I already sent him photos and he loves it. We have him and hers toys, the Challenger is mine

Figured I would include a small pic that demonstrates on the red line what I was talking about for the first cuts with the Dremel:
    Grille.jpg

And here's the finished product!
    My Mopar!.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    That looks so much better than stock!! I'm really surprised we dont sell more of those grilles, must be the fascia removing thing... I guess Charger owners are more into taking their cars apart. thanks again for the pic, it looks great, if you have a larger picture you can email it to me at [email protected] and I could put it on the website gallery

Share This Thread