Post Thanks / Like

Keep the Scat or Go to the Cat?

Currently own a 2016 Scat with 30,6xx miles in Granite Pearlcoat which I bought New and is my daily driver. Limited mods include Diablo ECM, active exhaust delete and lower springs. I LOVE the car but have been wanting to add more power. I have been planning to add a SC to it and have read all the posts about pistons/rods and other limitations of the 6.4L Hemi (not to mention the cost to do all these things) which led me to the HC. Seems like once I added a SC I would be close to the cost of owning a HC. Which leads me to my questions:1) For those of you who own a HC do you drive it daily? I'm in middle TN so not much snow here.2) How does the HC sound at idle and under load, do folks do the Dynomax mini bullets like the Scat community?3) Should I be comfortable buying used for a Dealership? Prefer less than 5K miles if I don't just buy New.4) I've seen some real nice Black ones with the gold rims and my is that a sweet look. How hard is it to keep Black clean?
    Thanks 60Roll, ssPetess thanked for this post
    Likes 60Roll liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Go to Speedy's Garage and readt about his HC.

OBTW - he lives un Middle TN.
    2017 Granite Crystal Scat Pack
    My Scat Pack Web Site

Post Thanks / Like
    I say definitely get the cat. May want to wait a few more months for the 19’s to come out and the prices will go down even more. You could get a low miles used for low to low 40’s if you look around and are willing to drive or fly to get it. I got my scat and cat from cold weather states that marked down big time.

I drive mine daily unless weather like hail ( Texas ) is expected.

I have vibrant mufflers in place of bullets they are basically the same and sound awesome. Although I feel my scat with bullets were slightly louder

Power wise it is very noticeable especially at higher speeds. You can add upper and or lower pulley and have huge power for cheap if you decide to mod.

Scat is awesome but the cost of forging internals etc. makes getting a cat even more attractive. Good luck to ya

Sent from my iPhone using Scat Pack Forums
    Likes F8Daytona, rjw5962, aaron.moore39 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the feedback thus far. What is a 'safe' mileage on a used HC? I've been primarily looking at ones with less than 10K. Anything I need to pay special attention to when looking at them in person?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JAS284 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback thus far. What is a 'safe' mileage on a used HC? I've been primarily looking at ones with less than 10K. Anything I need to pay special attention to when looking at them in person?

If you don’t plan to mod it may be worth checking to be sure the car hasn’t been modded. Some of these cars have had issues with alignment and also vibration at highway speeds so definitely take on a test drive and get up to 80mph if able. Don’t think mileage is a huge issue as long as it is in good shape it should last a good long time.

Oh yeah if its an early 2017 or older be sure to open the hood and listen to the supercharger. If your not aware some have had to be replaced because of bad bearings. You can google bad Superchargers and hear some videos of what to listen for.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you can swing the Cat I would do that for sure, especially if you are planning on hitting the track. Those cars are mid 10's with minor updates. . . . .
    15 Grand Cherokee SRT: Staying Stock!!!

05 Magnum RT:
    5.7 Personal Best: Heads, Cam and Spray - 11.46 w 1.59 60'

6.1 Personal Best: Forged, Novi 1500 and Spray - 10.405 1.566 60' @ 129.69
    7.4 Personal Best: Aluminum 449 - 10.736 ET , 1.589 60', 125.05 MPH NA
    7.0 Personal Best: Iron 426 - Whipple 2.9 - 10.46 so far

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mango madness View Post
    I say definitely get the cat. May want to wait a few more months for the 19’s to come out and the prices will go down even more. You could get a low miles used for low to low 40’s if you look around and are willing to drive or fly to get it. I got my scat and cat from cold weather states that marked down big time.

I drive mine daily unless weather like hail ( Texas ) is expected.

I have vibrant mufflers in place of bullets they are basically the same and sound awesome. Although I feel my scat with bullets were slightly louder

Power wise it is very noticeable especially at higher speeds. You can add upper and or lower pulley and have huge power for cheap if you decide to mod.

Scat is awesome but the cost of forging internals etc. makes getting a cat even more attractive. Good luck to ya

I’m on my third 392, when I bought my last one last month, I looked closely at the cat... but it’s hard for me as I drive high mileage for work... like 30k a year... and the best deal on a new one was 68k. I did look at pre owned but couldn’t find much and no where near 40’s... they were high 50’s and even low 60’s with 5-8k miles.. at least here in florida. Am I doing something wrong when buying lol? 2 friends here both paid over 70 for 18 cats early this year.
    That being said, I was still close to grabbing a destroyer grey one here at my local dealer... I just fear what it will be worth in. 2 years with 70k miles...

'19 Challenger Wide body Scat Pack B5; '19 Scat Pack F8 Green; '18 Audi SQ5 Daytona Grey; '18 Daytona 392; 16 Scat Pack Granite; '15 Durango R/T Blacktop; '14 Volvo S60R Rebel Blue; '12 Audi Q5; '10 Mustang; '08 BMW E90 M3; '07 BMW 335I Active Autowerks ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Buy the Cat. It's an amazing car. Due to an accident that totaled it, I've gone from a new 2016 Charger SRT392 to a used 2016 Charger Hellcat. How it builds that power and that whine make it a treat to drive every day. I got my Cat a year ago with less than 3000 miles for $57K. Which was a pretty decent price for a west coast car at that time.
    The only regret is not buying a Cat earlier.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool DON'T Make My Mistake Man!

Dood.

For my entire life, I always bought that lower trim model, 'ya know, because it was responsible, sensible, right?

Well, I saved my money and worked overtime for a year, then activated my Mid-Life Crisis (turned 50), and bought a '19 cat.

....................Yea. Totally worth it. These cars give no F*ks. It has double the hp of my last charger.

I went to the dealer and bought a couple oil filters today (excuse to drive it), and on the way home?

Had an open section of road, switch to sport, and stood on it. Loose for 3 gears and then triple digits.

If you can swing it, DO It, you will NEVER regret it. Peanut Butter Jelly Time with Lyrics!!! - YouTube
    X E Ryder
    Just Another Motorhead, Really.
    (midlife crisis activated)
    Thanks blue02 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by X E Ryder View Post
    Dood.

For my entire life, I always bought that lower trim model, 'ya know, because it was responsible, sensible, right?

Well, I saved my money and worked overtime for a year, then activated my Mid-Life Crisis (turned 50), and bought a '19 cat.

....................Yea. Totally worth it. These cars give no F*ks. It has double the hp of my last charger.

I went to the dealer and bought a couple oil filters today (excuse to drive it), and on the way home?

Had an open section of road, switch to sport, and stood on it. Loose for 3 gears and then triple digits.

If you can swing it, DO It, you will NEVER regret it. Peanut Butter Jelly Time with Lyrics!!! - YouTube
    Can I hear an AMEN!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Amen! I went with the HC. Have had for 2 weeks and it’s awesome! Going to need tires soon though Keep the Scat or Go to the Cat?. Such a difference than my old Scat Pack.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jas284 View Post
    amen! I went with the hc. Have had for 2 weeks and it’s awesome! Going to need tires soon though Keep the Scat or Go to the Cat?. Such a difference than my old scat pack.

Sent from my iphone using scat pack forums
    well done!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JAS284 View Post
    Currently own a 2016 Scat with 30,6xx miles in Granite Pearlcoat which I bought New and is my daily driver. Limited mods include Diablo ECM, active exhaust delete and lower springs. I LOVE the car but have been wanting to add more power. I have been planning to add a SC to it and have read all the posts about pistons/rods and other limitations of the 6.4L Hemi (not to mention the cost to do all these things) which led me to the HC. Seems like once I added a SC I would be close to the cost of owning a HC. Which leads me to my questions:1) For those of you who own a HC do you drive it daily? I'm in middle TN so not much snow here.2) How does the HC sound at idle and under load, do folks do the Dynomax mini bullets like the Scat community?3) Should I be comfortable buying used for a Dealership? Prefer less than 5K miles if I don't just buy New.4) I've seen some real nice Black ones with the gold rims and my is that a sweet look. How hard is it to keep Black clean?
    It honestly depends on what your end goal with the vehicles are, there are ways to add power to the scat pack while still remaining at a safe level but you are limited, my own 2018 challenger SP build is setup as Our custom engine and trans tune with E85 and a 100 wet shot of nitrous the car made 555rwhp and 640rwtq, these vehicles are very picky with power adders and everything must be done properly without cutting corners to avoid any issues with the longevity. The Hellcat however is a different story, they are definitely able to handle more power than they make stock and we have proven that countless times with customers who use our S1025 and S1025 drag packages on their vehicles and their vehicles are ran very hard at the track and on the street and for the most part alot of our customers daily drive these cars and are extremely happy with how they drive with our tunes on their vehicles. In my opinion both cars have their place but at the end of the day it all depends on what you want out of the vehicle, we can handle any questions for you regarding mods to either vehicle so if you ever need anything reach out to us through a direct message or give me a call at 313-561-5500 ext 104 my name is Cody and i would be more than happy to help you out with anything you are planning!

Click here to check out Livernois Motorsports on YouTube

CNC Cylinder Heads, Rotating Assemblies, Short Blocks, Performance Parts, Dyno Services, Fabrication and Machine Shop Services

Click here to take a virtual video tour of the shop

Post Thanks / Like
    Life is too short, if you can afford it then get it. You won’t be in your death bed one day telling your family how you wished you had gotten an SXT instead.
    2018 Dodge Charger Daytona - Indigo Blue
    2018 Dodge Charger Hellcat - Plum Crazy Purple
    Instagram: @aviorHemi
    Thanks troper thanked for this post
    Likes inssane, blue02, 89OPLX, LuvinMyCharger liked this post