Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Couldn’t put car in gear today got stuck

Just saying as I wonder if anyone else ever had similar problem;

In the morning leaving for work, started driving and it said driver door open... yes it was closed. So I stopped shut down did all the things I could think of, wouldn’t go away... so drive to work and let it sleep for a cycle , started it and still said door open.

So I went to dealer by office, pulled in and asked where then service entrance is, jumped back in car and it would not go into any gear. Tried drive, reverse etc . It freaked out, couldn’t move car.

Walked over to service and they went to push it into the service bay, and about 20 min later it started and drove fine. They checked the obd and found nothing wrong and sent me on my way. He said possibly something interfered with the door sensor or actuator or something along those lines ... never heard of such a thing...

Scared now that might happen again , when I’m not sitting in a dealer parking lot lol..

Anything I can check? I thought to disconnect battery and reset everything but I didn’t have tools with me, which is why I went to dealer in first place.

Here’s a pic look at the error, and I was driving at that moment... kept the lights on too and wouldn’t lock the doors either.

After 4 scat packs with virtually no issues ever, is my 5th a Friday 4:30 pm COVID build special? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '21 DD R/T White/Red/Blacktop, '19 Challenger Wide body Scat Pack B5; '19 Scat Pack F8 Green; '18 Audi SQ5 Daytona Grey; '18 Daytona 392; 16 Scat Pack Granite; '15 Durango R/T Blacktop; '14 Volvo S60R Rebel Blue; '12 Audi Q5; '10 Mustang; '08 BMW E90 M3; '07 BMW 335I Active Autowerks ...

Post Thanks / Like
    It's possible you have a new safety feature where you can't put the car in drive with the door open, it and all doors need to be closed. At least Jeep has this cause of what happened to Anton Yelchin from the Star Trek series. Just a thought.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    2017 Challenger Scat Pack 6spd Torred. Mods: Mids and Resonators Delete, Dual Quad Tips, Windows Tinted, Hellcat Airbox, Fastman Throttlebody, H&R Lowering Springs, Barton Shifter w/Mr. Norms Pistol Grip, Per4mance Dev. IRS Differential Brace, Z Automotive Tazer, Speedlogix Front and Rear Strut Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Swaybars, Spohn Swaybar Endlinks, Downforce Solutions Front Half Splitters and Wickerbill, Diablo T2 EX Tuner w/unlocked PCM, Jay Greene Tune.
    Likes Heat00 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Did the dealership replace the door ajar sensor or check that it wasn't loose/seated correctly etc.? There is definitely a safety interlock. On my Pacifica it auto-engages the electric park brake if you try to roll the car with the door open, but without EPB it would block the gear change.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup, with getting a driver door ajar warning it sure sounds like a bad door sensor causing the “AutoPark” to engage. ?? If you Google Dodge AutoPark there are many scenarios on what engages it. I found I had it by accident backing up the car in the driveway with the drivers door not fully closed. Also AutoPark will flash information on your driver info screen when engaged. Yours though still sounds like a bad sensor.
    2020 Hellraisin Charger Scat Pack Widebody

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea I don’t know but it’s been working fine since. I don’t recall if I had opened the door first but I stopped and tried to re start it many times in park... until the SA did it, it wouldn’t go into gear.

Yes maybe try e door sensor is bad but they wouldn’t fix anything because they said nothing is broken lol. Kind of wish it didn’t start for them so to have it fixed. What if it happens again. I only had 800 miles in the car when This happened.

Question if it happens again, how do you get it started and running again? Take battery terminal off and reset it or just wait?

Post Thanks / Like
    Happened to me 2, times a year apart, so I had forgotten why from the first time. I thought the door was closed all the way it wasn't.
    Last edited by Deano; 04-04-2021 at 01:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    My door was closed but it said it was open. Look at the pic , I was driving with door closed and it said it was open lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Heat00 View Post
    My door was closed but it said it was open. Look at the pic , I was driving with door closed and it said it was open lol

I remember on my 2020 Challenger I couldn't drive if the car was in gear and I opened the door. It would automatically put it in park. Can't remember if I could put it in gear with the door already open. I had my door open while I was backing up slightly. I wonder if you have a short in the sensor?

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    This sound’s really stupid on my part BUT once in traffic in my old ‘17 Charger r/t just after I got it, I put it in neutral while sitting there, then somehow when it was in neutral I moved the shifter to the left into manual mode. Traffic started to move but I didn’t. Couldn’t get it into any gear moving it up and down and nothing just locked. People behind me getting a little pissed. Started panicking a little holding up traffic. Playing around I’m guessing at that time I had to reapply the brake to get it out of neutral after unknowingly moving the shifter back to auto position to get it back in gear. Embarrassing. Even if something similar happened with the shifter brake/interlock system it still wouldn’t explain the door ajar. You would of got warnings on your center display if AutoPark was engaged. I’ve also heard the driver seatbelt is part of that safety feature as being fastened or not. Good luck with it, not fun when you can’t trust it not to happen again. Probably something simple.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Donf View Post
    This sound’s really stupid on my part BUT once in traffic in my old ‘17 Charger r/t just after I got it, I put it in neutral while sitting there, then somehow when it was in neutral I moved the shifter to the left into manual mode. Traffic started to move but I didn’t. Couldn’t get it into any gear moving it up and down and nothing just locked. People behind me getting a little pissed. Started panicking a little holding up traffic. Playing around I’m guessing at that time I had to reapply the brake to get it out of neutral after unknowingly moving the shifter back to auto position to get it back in gear. Embarrassing. Even if something similar happened with the shifter brake/interlock system it still wouldn’t explain the door ajar. You would of got warnings on your center display if AutoPark was engaged. I’ve also heard the driver seatbelt is part of that safety feature as being fastened or not. Good luck with it, not fun when you can’t trust it not to happen again. Probably something simple.
    Exactly... it definitely thought the door was open, and I still was able to drive to work but when I drove to the dealer and pulled in, it then told me to hit the brake and close the door but both were done... it all started from the car thinking the door was open... but they couldn’t find anything wrong which is what you said, I don’t trust it now not to happen again. Really weird and I opened and closed the door like 20 times lol.

It hasn’t happened again yet but my guess is that it has to do with the door sensor...I’m hopeful it was just a weird one time glitch or something interfered with the door latch or sensor ... but it’s scary to know I might get stuck again and the worse part is when I got to dealer it everything checked out fine lol

Post Thanks / Like
    On another note, my wife’s Grand Caravans airbag warning light when it was only a year old started to come on for no reason while driving. After you stop and put it in park then back into gear again the light would go out. After it happened again I took it to the dealer where they checked it out and no fault codes where stored. They told me there was nothing they could really do unless the light was on when I brought it in. Basically impossible. Also did like you did, took pics while driving. They just said nice pics and we believe you that it’s coming on. Unless I wanted to drop a bundle on trouble shooting if they didn’t find anything I was beat. I told them I thought it was a safety issue, they said possibly. Well this went on for over a year until I decided to replace my old code reader and bought a BlueDriver bluetooth reader. Left it plugged in 24/7 and within a month while on the hi-way the air bag light came on. Grabbed my phone and did a scan while driving and light was on. Pulled over and checked it. It threw out three fault codes. Printed it out and took it to the dealer. They said that was all they needed. Left the van there after they order the part and was good to go. Now to show how deep it could get.....it ended up being a seatbelt tensioner spring issue. Who da thunk. If you have or know someone with one or similar reader plug it in and maybe if it happens again you can nail it down the same way. Who knows.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Donf View Post
    On another note, my wife’s Grand Caravans airbag warning light when it was only a year old started to come on for no reason while driving. After you stop and put it in park then back into gear again the light would go out. After it happened again I took it to the dealer where they checked it out and no fault codes where stored. They told me there was nothing they could really do unless the light was on when I brought it in. Basically impossible. Also did like you did, took pics while driving. They just said nice pics and we believe you that it’s coming on. Unless I wanted to drop a bundle on trouble shooting if they didn’t find anything I was beat. I told them I thought it was a safety issue, they said possibly. Well this went on for over a year until I decided to replace my old code reader and bought a BlueDriver bluetooth reader. Left it plugged in 24/7 and within a month while on the hi-way the air bag light came on. Grabbed my phone and did a scan while driving and light was on. Pulled over and checked it. It threw out three fault codes. Printed it out and took it to the dealer. They said that was all they needed. Left the van there after they order the part and was good to go. Now to show how deep it could get.....it ended up being a seatbelt tensioner spring issue. Who da thunk. If you have or know someone with one or similar reader plug it in and maybe if it happens again you can nail it down the same way. Who knows.
    I was thinking about that as I want a reader anyhow so I guess this is the time ../

Post Thanks / Like
    Just bought obd reader figured it might come in handy and this way if that happens again, I’ll keep it in the car hook it up and take a pic of the error or code that way when I goto dealer they can see what the error was at least lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hope it spits one out soon, then you will know and not have to keep your fingers crossed that it wont happen again. Did you get a wireless Bluetooth model? The BlueDriver I bought years ago is phenomenal. Plus still only about $100 on Amazon. If it were me I would want it to happen again, and soon. Good luck!

HWDan is offline 2005 Magnum RT amd 2017 Charger SRT 392!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Heat00 View Post
    Just bought obd reader figured it might come in handy and this way if that happens again, I’ll keep it in the car hook it up and take a pic of the error or code that way when I goto dealer they can see what the error was at least lol.

I might be wrong, but OBD readers give you engine and emissions diagnostic codes, and optionally ABS codes. You might need one of those dealer-only tools to read electronics related codes.
    Hot Wheel Dan

2005 Magnum RT and 2017 Charger SRT Maximum Steel!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast